Law School Discussion

Poll

What are you planning to do with your JD?

Big Law firm
28 (15.9%)
Mid size firm
30 (17%)
Small Firm
23 (13.1%)
Govt
27 (15.3%)
In House Counsel
30 (17%)
Acadamia
14 (8%)
Other
24 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 77

For the older students, say 28+

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: For the older students, say 28+
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 04:20:27 PM »
ths seems like an ideal networking place for those wanting to start their own firms...

MrSmittie

• Rebel Law - why what happens in Vegas stays here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 04:37:42 PM »
I've been told by attorney friends that pretty much everybody wants to start their own firms, but most of the time reality gets in the way.

I'll buy that. I'm certain it will be extremely difficult if one carries a great deal of LS debt and/or has not established additional sources of income/savings/assests/investments to help get them through an inevitable bumpy start.

GwenK

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2006, 08:51:46 AM »
I'm thinking in-house or small firm - don't want to outrageous big law hours/hassle/bullsh*$. The company I work for now has offered to let me stay on part-time in my department through LS (even if it's only 10 hours a week filing) to keep my tenure there. Then, when I graduate, I would go full-time in the legal dept. - not bad. But, not sure that the company practices the kind of law I want to go into. So, I'm keeping my options open until I get through 1L.

As an aside, I feel better hearing some others out there graduating at 37-38. I'll be 38 and have had this nagging "are you too old" thing going through my head. At the end of the day, I don't care because it's what I want to do. But, there is comfort in knowing others are jumping in at this age too.

ADL

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2006, 10:24:57 AM »
As an aside, I feel better hearing some others out there graduating at 37-38. I'll be 38 and have had this nagging "are you too old" thing going through my head. At the end of the day, I don't care because it's what I want to do. But, there is comfort in knowing others are jumping in at this age too.
[/quote]

I know what you mean.  I sometimes get that nagging feeling too.  But I think that there are some advantages to doing this a little later in life...The "Party Animal" is usually out of the system by the time you're in your mid-late 30's (for most of us anyway) & for those of us who have kids who are already grown or older kids, there's no guilt about not spending time w/them.  They're like a support system.  My son has been telling me to do this for about 3yrs now, I'm finally listening.

GwenK

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2006, 11:39:19 AM »
I agree. The only caveat is that most often, because my husband and I don't have children(yet, maybe never, we haven't decided,) people feel compelled to remind me that 38 is pretty old to start having a family, etc., etc.

Of course, this reminder is completely unsolicited, but I am supposed to receive that information with a smile and a revolutionary "OMG, you're right. What was I thinking. I should stop now and procreate this instant. Thank you for setting me straight! Forget LS." When I don't respond accordingly, there's a disappointment and "poor her" type of pathetic stare. UGH.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2006, 11:44:29 AM »
I agree. The only caveat is that most often, because my husband and I don't have children(yet, maybe never, we haven't decided,) people feel compelled to remind me that 38 is pretty old to start having a family, etc., etc.

Of course, this reminder is completely unsolicited, but I am supposed to receive that information with a smile and a revolutionary "OMG, you're right. What was I thinking. I should stop now and procreate this instant. Thank you for setting me straight! Forget LS." When I don't respond accordingly, there's a disappointment and "poor her" type of pathetic stare. UGH.

you poor gilr!!! dont you know 38 is pretty late to be starting a family?

and, umm, oh yeah!  forget LS, you need to go procreate immediatly!

i am available to help with the last part  ;D

sck

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2006, 12:12:29 PM »

OMG, GwenK are you me?

We have the same issue. And it stresses us out a bit because we WANT kids... but I want to do the law school thing while I still have time to, oh, pay back my loans and send my kids to college. I'll be just barely 37 when I finish.

It also doesn't help that my fiance's family is full of people in the medical field, so his mom says 'Ok, just remember how old you are' to us a lot.

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2006, 12:18:19 PM »
I'm only 29 and get the same thing- it's ridiculous! One of my friends went back at 27 and you'd think she was going back at 42 or something the way she acted like it was the worst mistake she'd ever made and now she'd have to give up kids forever. I'm not even married now, so what am I going to do? Just meet some random guy off the street and decide to have a kid?

erox

• no more burning man for erox....
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2006, 12:38:17 PM »
Ha! Yeah, I am 27 and doing a four year program. I am visiting my parents and stopped by to see an old employer today. One of the first things he asked was whether I was married. When I said no, he was all, "Well, men certainly are intimidated by smart women. But don't worry, you look good so you'll find someone." Jeez! I was so embarassed.

That being said, I do know a few female attorneys who are over 30 who act all desperate to find someone and have kids. I don't want to be that lady, and I don't think I will be, but do you all think it is true that it will be much more difficult to get married, etc as a 30+ woman with a legal education? Do men REALLY only want women they perceive as less intelligent? And, if it did happen, how impossible would it be to start a family during school and how would that affect employment opportunities? I am not rethinking my decision to attend LS, but these are definitely things that I think about as random people make unsolicited comments about my age/marital status/career plans.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2006, 12:47:47 PM »
Ha! Yeah, I am 27 and doing a four year program. I am visiting my parents and stopped by to see an old employer today. One of the first things he asked was whether I was married. When I said no, he was all, "Well, men certainly are intimidated by smart women. But don't worry, you look good so you'll find someone." Jeez! I was so embarassed.

That being said, I do know a few female attorneys who are over 30 who act all desperate to find someone and have kids. I don't want to be that lady, and I don't think I will be, but do you all think it is true that it will be much more difficult to get married, etc as a 30+ woman with a legal education? Do men REALLY only want women they perceive as less intelligent? And, if it did happen, how impossible would it be to start a family during school and how would that affect employment opportunities? I am not rethinking my decision to attend LS, but these are definitely things that I think about as random people make unsolicited comments about my age/marital status/career plans.

if your looking for a man of equal career status, id say good luck.  most powerful men want trophy wives or moms for their brats.

you could always date a postal guy....