Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you know if Law School is for you???  (Read 6810 times)

syracuse1L

• View Profile
Re: How do you know if Law School is for you???
« Reply #90 on: July 27, 2006, 06:08:34 PM »
It's hard to say if kids don't come back because of the curve, or because they 'legitimately' flunk.  Not to sound like a jerk, but this point may be moot.  The underlying reality is that if you are at the bottom 10% of your class at a T4 you should probably drop out anyways, since your chances of passing the bar or being employed as an attorney are extremely low. 

syracuse1L

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 27, 2006, 06:13:45 PM »
8% leaving during 2L would indicate to me that these students recognize their job prospects are pretty meager.  To reiterate, I don't know much about Tulsa other than their published numbers, but the harsh curve is a reality, schools like Tulsa don't like being doormats, they are actively interested in preventing students from transferring. 

That's pretty disconcerting, actually, especially the fact that almost 8% are leaving during 2L. Most schools have people leaving during 1L for personal reasons or because they don't like law school, but after the second year, people have invested too much time and money to give up. It seems like the curve is pretty harsh if only 1/3 have a GPA above 3.0. Any idea what the median GPA is? That will give you a good idea of where your average student falls.

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 29, 2006, 02:08:54 PM »
You aren't delusional at all! Your 20s is a time where you're trying to figure out who you are and what gifts you have to give to the world. It can be very confusing. There's a phenomenon called the "quarterlife crisis"-- there is even a book with the same title........................ .

Julie, thanks for your post. I second every point you have made!

I myself have been through the quarterlife crisis, and although it was tough, it was an eye opening experience. Most people on this board have been STUDENTS for most of their lives. You learn, take tests, read, and have recess. And you do more (or less, as the case may be) of that when you are in college. But after graduation day, you're dropped of on the curb at the corner of Adulthood and Working World. Everyone is expecting you to function, get a big job, and know exactly what you are doing. But at 21, you rarely know exactly what you are doing. That's why your 20's are the expoloratory years.

It's tough being in your 20's and working, especially with people who are in their 30s, 40s, and 50s. You have to adapt to generational differences, deal with office politics, and battle people who either :

a) don't take you seriously because you're 21 and they didn't know what they hell they were doing at that age, so how could you?
OR
b) older people who are jealous of/annoyed with you because you are younger than them, yet you are both working in the same position, or they had to spend years getting promoted to the position that you walked into.

Sure, this doesn't sound like a party, but it's a learning experience. It's what makes you stronger and gives you an advantage when you return to the working world after law school. You learn HOW TO WORK WITH PEOPLE and HOW TO WORK. As I've said, no one can teach you that in college. It's just something you learn by doing.

Keep in mind that even if you finish law school at 24 or 25, it's not going to get much better. You're still gonne be a "K thru L" in the eyes of other attorneys (Kindergarden thru Law School). While many law students fall in that category, I can say that so far, it has worked to my benefit to be outside that category. I have a lot more to talk about in my interviews besides just law school, my undergrad degree, and my summer jobs at the mall. Additionally, many people who finish law school in their late 20s and 30s often have strong professional contacts and a JD is just another layer in their career to push them either farther ahead.

Don't worry about "wasting time." Everything you do in life is important, and we don't operate on these perfect little timelines and checklists. Sure we make good/ poor decisions, but either way, we learn from them. And from more of a zen standpoint, sometimes you have to go through the bad to get to the good. Enjoy some of your 20s because you will never get them back.....

Eli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #93 on: August 02, 2006, 06:53:32 AM »
What difference does a harsh grading curve make if applicants for transfer are judged primarly by class rank not GPA?