Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How do you know if Law School is for you???  (Read 6818 times)

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: How do you know if Law School is for you???
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2006, 01:28:11 PM »
You aren't delusional at all! Your 20s is a time where you're trying to figure out who you are and what gifts you have to give to the world. It can be very confusing. There's a phenomenon called the "quarterlife crisis"-- there is even a book with the same title.

Career counselors can be found via an online search or the phone book. Personally, I find school-employed guidance counselors and academic advisers grossly underqualified to give any sort of credible career coaching or advice, with the exception of a few bright stars.

Your school counselor was right, to a degree, that you could work your way up in the company that you left-- but without a degree, you do eventually hit a ceiling. That piece of paper is your ticket up higher. It gives the illusion of credibility and people identify with it. Truly, no one is an expert when handed a UG and grad degree. It will take many more years of experiences to truly gain that level of skill. But it does open doors to have the degree.

You sound like you're interested in a law career. Keep that on the table, but take some time now to read some books on careers, travel and work. You may land a career that you love and decide to get a law degree or a grad degree in a few years. Contrary to a few opinions that may be floating around your fellow classmates' ears, there's no rush and you aren't locked into a career forever once you make the decision to try Job A, B, C or grad degree X, Y or Z. We spend our entire lives learning- you have the rest of your life to work or go to school.

Some more ideas of tracks to take with a PS Degree:
# Campaign Worker
# City Manager
# Diplomat
# Editor
# Educator
# FBI/CIA Agent
# Government Worker
# Judge :)
# Lawyer :)
# Lobbyist
# News Reporter, Broadcast Radio/TV commentator, News/Ed producer
# Politician
# Political Consultant
# Political Scientist
# Research Assistant
# Survey Worker

Check out this web site: http://www.apsanet.org/section_74.cfm
Do an internet search and see what you come up with!
Vanderbilt 2010

Dr. Gonzo

• This is Bat Country.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2006, 02:00:35 PM »
If u are done with college. What u are going to with the PS degree?

Go take another major and go to college for 2 more yrs?

I wish i had that money.  Also these people who change their mind a lot. The money they owe? Jesus.

In a middle class family like i am in. We do not have the options to change into two or three careers.

Well, I'll be 32 when I finish school. Which, except for a year at a biotech, has been continuous.

You're crippled by your view that school is simply a means. It is this, but life is not on hold while you are a student.
Let's get down to brass tacks here, man. How much for the ape?

syracuse1L

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2006, 04:36:53 PM »
I spoke to a guy two weeks ago who just finished his first year at Tulsa.  He hates it.  If you want to stay in Oklahoma, attend Tulsa, and I am not saying this to bash on T4's, but just remember that schools which find themselves on the USNWR 4th tier list sometimes implement a 'forced curve,' which is basically a frantic attempt to improve their standing on the USNWR.  After talking to this guy at Tulsa, it sounds like they do this.  Basically; the school intentionally keeps everyone's grades very low in order to prevent people from leaving.  T4 schools know many of their 1L students want to transfer, so in order to stop that they basically give everyone bad grades in order to keep them from getting in anywhere else.  They also sometimes cut the bottom 10% of the class, even if you aren't technically failing, and basically kick you out, just to make sure they maintain somewhat respectable bar passage rates.   

Dr. Gonzo

• This is Bat Country.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2006, 04:48:44 PM »
T4 schools know many of their 1L students want to transfer, so in order to stop that they basically give everyone bad grades in order to keep them from getting in anywhere else. 

I've never heard of THIS!
Let's get down to brass tacks here, man. How much for the ape?

Eli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2006, 05:19:12 PM »
I spoke to a guy two weeks ago who just finished his first year at Tulsa.  He hates it.  If you want to stay in Oklahoma, attend Tulsa, and I am not saying this to bash on T4's, but just remember that schools which find themselves on the USNWR 4th tier list sometimes implement a 'forced curve,' which is basically a frantic attempt to improve their standing on the USNWR.  After talking to this guy at Tulsa, it sounds like they do this.  Basically; the school intentionally keeps everyone's grades very low in order to prevent people from leaving.  T4 schools know many of their 1L students want to transfer, so in order to stop that they basically give everyone bad grades in order to keep them from getting in anywhere else.  They also sometimes cut the bottom 10% of the class, even if you aren't technically failing, and basically kick you out, just to make sure they maintain somewhat respectable bar passage rates.   

How do you know this? what specifically does anyone know about Tulsa's grading system?
I dont plan on transfering but good grades are important to me.

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2006, 05:53:42 PM »
Eli, I can't speak on authority for any law school's grading system, but based on what I have read the "lower" you go down the tiers, the more harsh the grading curve.
Vanderbilt 2010

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
Eli- you should be able to find data about Tulsa's attrition rate somewhere- either on its Web site or on LSAC, I imagine. Schools with higher attition rates tend to be the ones that have incredibly harsh curves in order to flunk out people that are not likely to pass the bar.

Eli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2006, 06:02:36 PM »
Eli- you should be able to find data about Tulsa's attrition rate somewhere- either on its Web site or on LSAC, I imagine. Schools with higher attition rates tend to be the ones that have incredibly harsh curves in order to flunk out people that are not likely to pass the bar.

is a 14percent atrition rate considered high? Also the school told me that 33percent of students fall withn 3.0-4.0

Eli

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2006, 06:06:00 PM »

1st year 14.1%
2nd year 7.7%

Yes, very high.

Could the atrition rate be based on the type of students as opposed to the harsh grading?

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2006, 06:07:14 PM »
That's pretty disconcerting, actually, especially the fact that almost 8% are leaving during 2L. Most schools have people leaving during 1L for personal reasons or because they don't like law school, but after the second year, people have invested too much time and money to give up. It seems like the curve is pretty harsh if only 1/3 have a GPA above 3.0. Any idea what the median GPA is? That will give you a good idea of where your average student falls.