Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anybody going to ULV?  (Read 622 times)

tired3L

• View Profile
Anybody going to ULV?
« on: July 23, 2006, 09:46:32 PM »
Anybody going to or waitlisted at ULV?

kd17

• View Profile
Re: Anybody going to ULV?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2006, 11:44:10 PM »
I just visited the campus last week and decided to pass..... I'll be retaking my LSAT and reapplying next cycle.

supergirluw

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2006, 12:39:16 AM »
i'm headed down there this week, starting 1L in August.

Bruce Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2006, 06:52:21 AM »
I've been accepted to ULV, but I'm leaning toward attending Widener instead.  I know its coming down to the wire but I'm really torn between the two because I really want to stay on the west coast, but I think Widener is the better school overall.   

kd17 - I'm curious as to why you decided to pass after visiting the ULV campus? Is it really that bad?

Bruce Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2006, 01:57:10 AM »
That helps somewhat.  I guess I was hoping to get a better idea of the school itself and not the area.  I'm all about getting stellar grades and less about where the party's at :P  Anyways, thanks for your input, good luck to you as well.

supergirluw - I just noticed that you're a fellow Husky  8)  I attended UW-Tacoma though, so I guess I'm a Husky puppy :P Congratulations on getting into ULV and good luck to you!  :) I may join you down there if I change my mind about Widener. (gosh this is a tough decision) 

Bruce Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2006, 02:42:07 AM »
Okay, after reading more posts here about Widener - Harrisburg, I'm thinking La Verne is the better choice for me.  I'd rather practice in CA than in PA.  And from what it sounds like, Widener - Harrisburg is at the bottom of the food chain in PA whereas ULV is the only ABA (provisionally) approved school in the inland empire, thus making the prospects seem better than Widener's. The ULV website even says there is a huge shortage of lawyers in that area, so getting a job shouldn't be as stressful as it would in PA with a degree from Widener.   

I also really like ULV's video game law program.

supergirluw, do you know what the curve at ULV is like?  I heard that Widener's is very harsh. 

supergirluw

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2006, 03:25:49 AM »
First of all, there is nothing wrong with ULV's campus. For the region, its actually quite lovely. I just wish they had planted more palm trees than "real" trees for us foreign-folk.

The curve IS a little harsh, but no more than most other schools. You must get a 2.0 or get kicked out and the "The distribution will be applied to Contracts, Torts, Criminal Law, Property, Civil
Procedure, and Constitutional Law where the enrollment exceeds 21 students and
suggested in those courses where the enrollment is between 13 and 20 students" is as follows:

3.3 or above 0 5%
3.0 to 3.2 10 15%
2.7 to 2.9 10 20%
2.4 to 2.6 15 25%
2.0 to 2.3 30 40%
1.9 or below 5 15%

Also, as for choosing Widener over ULV...everything that's been said is true. Also, ULV's placement rate at graduation is 86%. Many of the professors at ULV are partners in established firms in the area and recruit students upon graduation. The ratio of residents to lawyers in the Inland Empire region is 900:1 - compared to the LA/San Diego area, this is promising...their ratio is closer to 200:1. If you *don't* get a job upon graduation from ULV, its your own fault. The only reason it hasn't been accrediated is due to its newness. I don't know what Widener has for its defense, but if you want to stay on the west coast, there isn't a good reason to not attend ULV.

Bruce Wayne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2006, 04:53:43 AM »
Thanks supergirl!  Now I'm leaning more toward attending ULV.  I'm concerned with my ULVantage Loan though. Last week they were changing lenders and supposedly are sending out new promisorry notes this week. Doing that this late in the juncture is just suspect imo. 

supergirluw

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 02:03:03 PM »
nah, don't worry about the loan - they used to go with bank of america, but either bank of america didn't want to be the lender or ulv didn't want to use them anymore, and the contract coincidentally ended a few weeks ago and it was overlooked. I don't think it will be a problem.