Law School Discussion

How long to write PS?

Saja

• Into enemy territory...
    • View Profile
Re: How long to write PS?
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2006, 12:34:48 PM »
I'm with you, Hank.  It took me maybe 3 hours to write the rough draft of my personal statement and I think it's pretty decent.  Of course, I will make revisions, but I will not do school specific personal statements.

I don't understand how people can spend so much time on the PS.  Mine was about 2 pages 11 font, and I don't think schools want more than this.  Is it just me, or are people's personal statements very long in Anna Ivey's book?  Penn, for instance, specifies two pages in length and some of the examples in that book must be upwards of 4.

paigeroo

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 06:45:25 PM »
Hi everyone! AWWW this is where all my peeps went!  They made the migration to the app board. 

Hank, I'm STILL working on mine.  But I'm doing a personal statement, diversity statement and purpose statements for each of the schools.  I'm doing something similar to Andrew.  Coming at my PS from several different angles, and once I have a few finished products I'll choose the best.  But then again, I just like to write.  So we'll see.   

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2006, 09:02:21 AM »
I wonder how much these unsolicited essays help you, though-- if the school only asks for a personal statement, the content is really up to you whether it is a traditional personal statement, a statement of purpose or any combination of the two. (And I've yet to see a school that doesn't invite a diversity statement if you do have circumstances that could not fit into your PS).

Bottom line-- aren't we better off submitting only those documents the schools ask for and following their directions, instead of burdening them with additional paperwork? I think we risk alienating them if we flood them with too much paperwork.

I tend to think those who submitted 5 different kinds of essays and claim it got them into the top schools would be singing a different tune without their 172 LSAT scores...

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2006, 10:22:45 AM »
Hi everyone! AWWW this is where all my peeps went!  They made the migration to the app board. 

Hank, I'm STILL working on mine.  But I'm doing a personal statement, diversity statement and purpose statements for each of the schools.  I'm doing something similar to Andrew.  Coming at my PS from several different angles, and once I have a few finished products I'll choose the best.  But then again, I just like to write.  So we'll see.   

Hey Paige!

Are you really submitting three essays for EACH school?  I was under the impression most schools just asked for one basic personal statement, with the exception of a couple schools like Michigan and Penn.

spud1987

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2006, 10:46:51 AM »
I was thinking about writing a why X law school?  For some of my reaches and harder targets.  I decided against it though for the reasons juliemccoy gave.  I'm still going to write the "why mich?" essay and probably tailor my ps for certain schools (Boalt) but that's all. 

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2006, 10:51:15 AM »
I was thinking about writing a why X law school?  For some of my reaches and harder targets.  I decided against it though for the reasons juliemccoy gave.  I'm still going to write the "why mich?" essay and probably tailor my ps for certain schools (Boalt) but that's all. 

What I learned from my app process last year - if they give you the option to write a "why x" essay, write it.  If they don't ask for it, I wouldn't send it (julie's right - too much paperwork).  But if it's an option, do it.  I think this was the unanimous determination last year with Penn and UMich applicants.

Hank Rearden

• Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2006, 10:51:55 AM »

For Columbia and Chicago I was thinking of including a short addendum about why I would want to attend that particular school.  I wouldn't include it in my PS, but the schools want to know that you are actually thinking about going to their institutions and not simply applying because they have a high US News rank.  

paigeroo

« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2006, 05:35:13 PM »

Hey Paige!

Are you really submitting three essays for EACH school?  I was under the impression most schools just asked for one basic personal statement, with the exception of a couple schools like Michigan and Penn.

Well only to those schools I know will appreciate them.  Schools like Yale and Northwestern for example don't ask for a purpose statement, but they would love to receive it if it is well done, overall. 

Those that don't ask for one (and I've followed up to verify this) I certainly won't try and shove it down their throat.  Of course this will upset them and push them into thinking that I can't follow simple directions.  So it's a two-edged sword but I am making them (the purpose statements).  The diversity statements well, who doesn't want it?  Just going to add that on with my PS... it's only one page anyways.  sheesh.