Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Need Advice from LSD (3.5/161)  (Read 694 times)

YesICAN

• C-SPAN RULES!
    • View Profile
Need Advice from LSD (3.5/161)
« on: July 22, 2006, 06:27:26 PM »
Hello,

Here's my school list (in order of preference):

UC Davis
Iowa
William and Mary
UNC Chapel Hill
BYU
Indiana Bloomington
Wisconsin Madison
Southern Methodist University
Santa Clara
Loyola LA
North Dakota
Wyoming

Here's the deal, I dislike big cities (for a school/study environment) and I want to attend in a school in a quiet and isolated area.

Extra Curric Info:

Lived in the People's Republic of China for almost 9 years.
Fluent in Mandarin and Minnan (same as Taiwanese) dialects of Chinese.
Layout Editor for a magazine
Writer/Cartoonist for a newspaper
Webmaster for a campus organization.
Started an on-campus think tank.
Freelancer graphics artist and web designer for 4 years.
Internships at two non-profit international relations orgs.
Honor's Thesis (Upcoming next year)
Dean's List for 2.5 years
Worked all four years in college in res life
I am pretty buff - 16.5in biceps :)

I intend to practice international business law in China after graduation. It's very likely I will be doing my internships in PRC during law school.

Any advice on what other schools would suit me best is welcomed. Thank you.

whitearbiter

• View Profile
Re: Need Advice from LSD (3.5/161)
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2006, 10:14:42 PM »
161 is prolly going to make it difficult to get into W&M or UNC without just stellar other stuff like LORs and personal statements in my opinion. I'm sure, however, that your experiences especially in a growing field like China will get you some sort of bonus points in terms of the 'novelty student' effect in some schools looking into beefing up their international law programs.

If you're Asian, doesn't do much good I'm afraid. I love being an over-represented.

I heard a rumor that W&M might be looking into extending a study abroad to Beijing and I know Washington and Lee (comparable school to W&M not on your list) is also a good school to look into from what you've stated about school environment preferences. Lexington is definitely isolated and ultra-rural. It is also, however, more conservative and southern compared to W&M. W&M, UNC, and W&L may be somewhat of a reach for you, but I think you have the numbers and background to definitely give them a shot.

Numerically, you work a lot better in the trio of DC area schools: George Mason, American, and Catholic... but the environment out there is more or less big city urban. Mason is in the middle of Arlington which is as urban as they get in Virginia.

Sorry my expertise doesn't extend much beyond the mid-south region of the east coast. Best of luck.
Accepted: *W&M$$*, W&L, GWU, GMU, Richmond
Waitlisted: UVA
Rejected: Duke

3.59(3.65 final)/165

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 10:28:22 PM »
BYU is smack in the middle of Utah's second largest city.  That's not terribly big by national standards, but it's busy and densely populated.  That metropolitan area has about 410,000.  Are you Mormon?  The adjustment to BYU's.....eh....unique culture may be difficult.  Your LSAT is below their median but they would love your international experience, as would any school I suppose.

I can't really speak for the other schools on your list.

whitearbiter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 10:43:35 PM »
Yeah, and I know you want to prolly work in China, but International Law is sort of a finicky field to get into and I'm not sure if going to the middle of nowhere is that great of an option. North Dakota, Wyoming, and even a school like Iowa might make it really tough for you to leave that region once you get into LS in the first place.

For international law, I almost want to say that you might want to bite the bullet and go to a more urban campus like those in DC if only because they're well situated for that sort of field as well as your numbers coinciding well with some pretty decent schools.

Also... geographically, UNC and even W&M are not *that* quiet or isolated. Chapel Hill from what I've heard is a typical mid-sized college town, and Williamsburg is rapidly growing and only an hour from Richmond, two from DC, and next to Norfolk/Virginia Beach. If anything, I would find a quiet place to study and live in regardless of the campus. Get your feet wet with dealing with large groups of people. My experience in Asia has always been one of crowded crazy roads filled with people. As long as your apartment and school library are conducive to studying, I'd aim for some of the schools with more geographic centrality.

I'd visit some of these schools personally to see if they're okay or not. Some of the bigger town ones might not be all that bad while some of the isolated schools might be suffocatingly quiet. Trust me, there is such a thing.

3.59(3.65 final)/165

YesICAN

• C-SPAN RULES!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2006, 04:27:43 AM »
Hmmm... I don't think my numbers match well with Washington and Lee (their 25/75 is 163/167), while UNC has 158/164 and W&M has 160/165. In regards to the BYU question, I live a conservative lifestyle (I though I am very open minded.  I had to be in order to make it as a sociology major, make it into the sociology honors program and to do diversity programs regarding gay and alternative lifestyles for my res life job.) I don't imbibe alcohol, smoke and am celibate. I hate coffee. :) I always get a vanilla bean frap at starbucks. (My family is VERY conservative...) Yes, being Asian (Chinese) really doesn't win any points like other minority groups. :)

I will definitely reconsider some of the schools I have listed. Although I am starting to likely the idea of going to school outside a major metro (like Davis is outside of Sacramento) and hopefully gaining some metro opportunities while remaining in an non-urban setting for school. Thanks for the advice everyone and I look forwards to more suggestions.

canthardlywait

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 12:35:14 PM »
I think u should really look into American in DC... they have a great international law program and its located on the outside of DC if memory serves me correctly.  Also, if you could stand living in a city, I think that with ur soft factors you could earn at least a waitlist spot if not an acceptance to George Washington.  you could also look into the part time programs at all of the DC schools and maybe get some international work experience in DC doing something related to International law.  The PT acceptance rates and ave. LSAT/GPA would give u a much better shot at getting into a great international law program.

Check out my LSN, I just finished this past cycle with very similar #'s... good luck.

whitearbiter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2006, 04:36:59 PM »
Don't have any idea about west coast schools, but in terms of east coast, I would suggest:

Washington and Lee - Reach. It has a new Transnational Law Institute that might be of interest to you. With a 161, it's going to be an uphill battle, but the application is free minus the LSDAS fees.

William and Mary - Semi-Reach (You're slightly above the 25th). It doesn't have a stellar international law program, but it's getting better. It has a summer study-abroad program in Spain that a few schools piggyback with.

American/George Mason - These schools are very good and GMU in particular is a rapidly rising school in the region. As someone said, American has a very good international law program although both of these are in the big metro area of DC. DC Metro area isn't nearly as bad because it's just all suburbs, but something to think about.

If you have the money to throw around, you can always try GW, although with your numbers, it might just be a hefty donation. Sorry all those schools are in VA or in the DC Metro area - that's just where I focused the bulk of my applications.

3.59(3.65 final)/165

tired3L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2006, 10:00:38 PM »
Co to UC Davis if you can get in.

The fees are MUCH lower than private schools and you can usually get a regent's scholarship!

Try to avoid expensive private schools if you can.  (When I graduate I'll have more than 100,000 in loans!)

canthardlywait

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 12:33:39 AM »
also... i forgot to add on my last post, U of Miami is good for international law i'm pretty sure and with ur #'s u will most likely be able to get a half tuition scholarship there.  check out my LSN profile in my sig.  We have similar #'s and they gave me $15,000/yr.  i believe Uof Miami isn't actually in Miami but just outside which may help with your not wanting a metropolis. 

That said i find it hard to push Miami being an alum of Florida State and a soon to be 1L and U of FL but it could be just what you're looking for.