Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Politics is a diirty business  (Read 1015 times)

jgruber

Politics is a diirty business
« on: August 18, 2004, 12:00:14 AM »
No matter who is telling the truth on this issue, politics is a dirty business.

New York Dems: Bush exploits 9/11
Bush campaign denounces 'invective'

From Phil Hirschkorn
CNN
Tuesday, August 17, 2004 Posted: 11:36 PM EDT (0336 GMT)

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Less than two weeks before the Republican National Convention convenes in Manhattan, a group of congressional Democrats from New York on Tuesday charged that the Bush administration exploits the 9/11 attacks for political gain.

"The Republicans chose to hold their convention here, I think most of us believe, to continue the political exploitation of 9/11, which this administration started almost immediately after 9/11," said Rep. Jerrold Nadler, whose congressional district in Manhattan includes the site where the World Trade Center once stood.

"They want to wrap themselves in 9/11 and wrap themselves in the flag. But the fact of the matter is they don't have the right to do that."

A Bush campaign spokesman dismissed the charge as "pure nonsense."

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/08/17/dems.rnc/index.html

jgruber

Re: Politics is a diirty business
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2004, 12:21:41 AM »
and still there is more crap

New Ads Reignite Vietnam Debate
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

WASHINGTON While the nation wages a non-stop war on terror, the presidential campaign has become a venue for a bitter debate over what John Kerry (search) and President Bush (search) did or didn't do during the Vietnam War.

After watching Kerry fend off accusations for nearly a week about exaggerating his war record, sympathetic Democrats with Moveon PAC (search) have produced an ad criticizing Bush's service in the National Guard.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129264,00.html

jgruber

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2004, 12:26:07 AM »
And we want these people to lead the country?

Cheney Blasted for 'Cowardly' Kerry Attacks
Tuesday, August 17, 2004

Cheney Slams Kerry on Iraq War Vote
DES MOINES, Iowa  Sen. Tom Harkin (search) pushed the name-calling in the presidential race to a new level, calling Vice President male private part Cheney a coward for not serving in Vietnam and cowardly for his criticism of John Kerry (search).

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,129172,00.html

Ginatio

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2004, 12:40:22 AM »
have you seen the new bush campaign ad? he's sitting there with his wife and gives a speech about how we need to defend ourselves. one line that stands out in my mind is "i can't imagine how difficult it must have been for a parent to choose which child to pick up on september eleven"

what the @#!* is that supposed to mean? it boggles my mind how blatantly they're trying to "wrap themselves in the flag" as your referenced article put it... and 50% of the public is eating this *&^% up

jrhc1210

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3.85/Oct
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jrhc1210
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2004, 12:46:00 AM »
have you seen the new bush campaign ad? he's sitting there with his wife and gives a speech about how we need to defend ourselves. one line that stands out in my mind is "i can't imagine how difficult it must have been for a parent to choose which child to pick up on september eleven"

what the @#!* is that supposed to mean? it boggles my mind how blatantly they're trying to "wrap themselves in the flag" as your referenced article put it... and 50% of the public is eating this *&^% up

You know, I thought the same thing. Not necessarilly about the wrapping in the flag, but the "can't imagine..." comment. What exactly is that supposed to mean? I can't imagine what it must have been like to get a goodbye phone call from one of the hijacked planes, or something like that. But that comment is just a not-so-subtle manipulation of parental fears.

Ginatio

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2004, 12:56:08 AM »

You know, I thought the same thing. Not necessarilly about the wrapping in the flag, but the "can't imagine..." comment. What exactly is that supposed to mean? I can't imagine what it must have been like to get a goodbye phone call from one of the hijacked planes, or something like that. But that comment is just a not-so-subtle manipulation of parental fears.

exactly. it says nothing about policy, goals, achievements, etc. there's no message other than "i'm against terrorists", if even that.

kerry has ads touting his record of service, and bush has this nonsense, while he attacks kerry's record at the same time. ridiculous

Bisquick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2004, 02:19:06 AM »
Kerry's adds are nonsense, too.  All political adds are garbage.
3.8/155

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2004, 09:11:55 AM »
edit

jgruber

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2004, 10:39:36 AM »
NPR did a story this morning about Ohio.  They interviewed a few people who said to the politicians, leave us alone already.

The ZAPINATOR

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - N/A
    • AOL Instant Messenger - N/A
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - N/A
    • View Profile
    • N/A
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2004, 10:42:00 AM »
edit