Law School Discussion

The Media is too.....

oldskewlphool

The Media is too.....
« on: July 21, 2006, 02:10:05 PM »
Most people(both liberals and conservatives) belive that the media is liberal or that it has a liberal bent to it. This may have been true at one time, but today's media is FAR more conservative than liberal. I have made a list of prominent shows on television that feature political debate and discussion, after the name of the host I have written whether this host is liberal or conservative:

Keith Olberman- Liberal

Bill O'Reilly- Conservative
Sean Hannity- Conservative
Joe Scarborough- Conservative
Glen Beck- Very Conservative
Tucker Carlson- Conservative
Chris Mathews- Conservative
Nancy Grace- Conservative
Brit Hume- Conservative
Mort Kondracke and Fred Barnes- Conservative
Neil Cavuto- Conservative
John Gibson- Conservative
John Kasich- Conservative
Lou Dobbs- Conservative

Do you notice the pattern? All of the people I mentioned above host their own program where they can frame the debate however they choose and have a forum for their own unchallenged opinions. Why would the liberal media have only one liberal commentator and 13 conservative ones? The answer is that the liberal media does not exist, this media is conservative.

Julie Fern

• hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
Re: The Media is too.....
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 04:23:35 PM »
oh they is, is they?

(julie agree media very conservative.)

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 04:27:19 PM »
I don't know any liberals who think the media has a liberal bent.

oldskewlphool

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 07:15:50 PM »
oh they is, is they?

(julie agree media very conservative.)

I was thinking that I could say 'is' because I was refering to the media as a whole and not as a collection of many things. Perhaps this was incorrect. If so, I am sorry.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 06:24:21 AM »
word "media" plural. singular "medium."  very common mistake, made almost as often as believing media are liberal.

cyberrev

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 07:08:52 AM »
much like the word "data"

in any event, i detest the media, whether liberal or conservative.

just give me the f-ing news you bastards and stop telling me what or how to think.  quit twisting everything to suit your own agenda.
if you call yourself a "reporter" then report.  that's all.
if you call yourself a "commentator" the STFU.  you aren't any smarter then i am, and i don't need you to 'interpret' for me.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2006, 02:37:14 PM »
"data" has at least some support as singular, although that still decidedly minority view.

dbgirl

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2006, 02:39:23 PM »

just give me the f-ing news you bastards and stop telling me what or how to think.  quit twisting everything to suit your own agenda.
if you call yourself a "commentator" the STFU.  you aren't any smarter then i am, and i don't need you to 'interpret' for me.

Someone has a lot of misimpressions about reporters.

Julie Fern

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2006, 02:41:12 PM »
bill o'reilly?

cyberrev

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2006, 03:47:13 PM »

Someone has a lot of misimpressions about reporters.

no misimpressions, i just wish they'd be honest and not masquerade as impartial.

from wiki:

The concept of objectivity has always been somewhat ambiguous, and both journalists and the public tend to identify objectivity in its absence. Few journalists would make a claim to total neutrality or impartiality. However, most strive toward a certain modicum of detachment from their own personal biases in their news work. In Discovering the News (1978), sociologist Michael Schudson argues that "the belief in objectivity is a faith in 'facts,' a distrust in 'values,' and a commitment to their segregation." In the United States, an objective story is typically considered to be one that steers a middle path between two poles of political rhetoric. The tenets of objectivity are violated to the degree to which the story appears to favor one pole over the other.

According to some, it refers to the prevailing ideology of newsgathering and reporting that emphasizes eyewitness accounts of events, corroboration of facts with multiple sources and "balance." It also implies an institutional role for journalists as a fourth estate, a body that exists apart from government and large interest groups.

Others hold it should mean reporting things without bias, as if one just came to Earth from another planet and had no preconceived opinions about our behavior or ways. This form of journalism is rarely practised, although some argue it would lead to radical changes in reporting.

Still others hold it to mean that journalists should have something like a neutral point of view, not taking a stand on any issues on which there is some disagreement. Instead, journalists are simply to report what "both sides" of an issue tell them.