Law School Discussion

Do I need an academic LOR?

. . .

• View Profile
Do I need an academic LOR?
« on: July 21, 2006, 02:51:02 PM »
I graduated years ago. Do I really need a LOR from one of my undergrad professors? And how would I go about getting one?

Jolie Was Here

• 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Do I need an academic LOR?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 02:53:18 PM »
You need at least one work LOR, no question.  But most schools ask that you do everything in your power to get an academic LOR.  Is there absolutely no professor you could go back to?

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 02:55:46 PM »
I was out for 7 and didn't have one and it didn't seem to matter a lot.  Contact any professor that you had a smaller class with or any prof you may have had some sort of decent relationship with or any prof you might still have a sample piece of coursework from.

But if you don't have one, you don't have one.

PhiMuAmberkins

• A self-tar.
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - amberkinsluvyoulongtime
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 03:06:32 PM »
I suppose I could get an academic LOR from one of my professors, although I feel it wouldn't be very personal considering the time lapse. Is it better to have 2 more detailed and personal ones from employers, or 1 academic and 1 professional? Also, the headmaster from my boarding school does carry considerable weight at one school on my list, and I have been in contact with him over the years so he could defiitely attest to my character, etc. But is a letter from a high school headmaster taboo?

YES.  No one cares about what you did in high school anymore.  Especially if you've been out of undergrad for a few years. 

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 05:59:26 PM »
I suppose I could get an academic LOR from one of my professors, although I feel it wouldn't be very personal considering the time lapse. Is it better to have 2 more detailed and personal ones from employers, or 1 academic and 1 professional? Also, the headmaster from my boarding school does carry considerable weight at one school on my list, and I have been in contact with him over the years so he could defiitely attest to my character, etc. But is a letter from a high school headmaster taboo?

First, you are not limited to two.  Most schools require a minimum of two and accept three or four.  You should definitely have at least two from your post-college era (work, volunteer work, something).  Try for a UG professor.  If you get one, you get one.  If you don't, you don't.

High school is taboo.  BUT - in your case since you say that he will carry "considerable weight" with one school, you might consider a targeted letter to that school.  Just make sure he's talking about you lately, not about your high school abilities.  I would not send the letter to any other school.  In general though, high school is old news.  Especially since you are probably approaching your ten year reunion (like me!).