Law School Discussion

how much will a legacy affect your chances?

. . .

• View Profile
how much will a legacy affect your chances?
« on: July 21, 2006, 01:39:40 PM »
Anyone have any input on schools that place significant value on a legacy (mother) vs. schools that couldn't care less?

Re: how much will a legacy affect your chances?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 09:00:36 PM »
very school specific. ND--for sure. Although I've heard from even schools as legacy-centric as ND will place a cap on how many legacies they admit--a certain percentage of the class. That might be undergrad specific, but I don't know.

if your mom is an active alum, contributes time and/or money to the university then it helps because it's more likely that someone alone the way will recognize your name. i think some schools will give you a "point" or two when calculating that almighty mysterious index number that they all deny using but someone find a way to mix it in to their decision making process.

i do think the days of legacies as auto admits are somewhat gone, except, of course, if your family built the library or new science wing. or if your last name is Bush.

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2006, 12:13:04 AM »
This is probably a flame but check out http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=turtle

His profile used to say he was a Harvard legacy and was admitted with a 158. That doesn't explain his Georgetown and UCLA admits unless his dad is famous, though. It's probably fake, but I wouldn't be shocked if it were true.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2006, 01:00:02 AM »
A: More than it should.

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2006, 01:08:50 PM »
As far as I know, it doesn't matter as much as it does for undergrad.

True. Also, the legacy factor need to be with the law school. As well, being an active alumni (donating $$) is a big part.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2006, 02:52:26 PM »
I think it would only help if the legacy was an alum of the law school itself, not just the UG, and was an active alumnus/a.  If she hasn't donated a cent and cut all all communication as soon as she graduated, then there isn't a lot of reason for them to let you in.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2006, 08:27:15 AM »
I listened to a mute trial about the Michigan affirmitive action supreme court case.  I think I remember that being a legacy at UMICH Law School gives an applicant the same advantage as does URM status.

tacojohn

• "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2006, 09:29:41 AM »
I listened to a mute trial about the Michigan affirmitive action supreme court case.  I think I remember that being a legacy at UMICH Law School gives an applicant the same advantage as does URM status.
It's a moot trial.

h2xblive

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2006, 01:56:30 PM »
Someone said earlier that legacy will help much more for undergrad admission rather than JD admission, and I know this is true for some schools. For example, with Florida, their admissions officers admit having a parent who went to the school will help for undergraduate admission, but makes no difference for the law school.

cassise

• To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2006, 09:53:24 AM »
It SHOULDNT count at all.  In reality, it probebally moves you ahead of somebody with very very similar qualifications.