Law School Discussion

Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters?

Re: Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »
Testmasters did a good job for me.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:33:56 PM »
your instructor really makes a difference.
sounds like most of them have an ego problem (our powerscore instructor told us he was the best instructor they had)

Of the ones I've encountered only one had issues. It was HIS way or it was totally wrong. Didn't even concider that some methods work better for some student than others. He couldn't even explain things well because the wrong answer was "just wrong", and he usually didn't (or couldn't) expalin why. He also told us we'd be LUCKY to get a 6 point increase (I have more than doubled that). Not very encouraging. Major ego issues.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 02:04:17 PM »
your instructor really makes a difference.
sounds like most of them have an ego problem (our powerscore instructor told us he was the best instructor they had)

Of the ones I've encountered only one had issues. It was HIS way or it was totally wrong. Didn't even concider that some methods work better for some student than others. He couldn't even explain things well because the wrong answer was "just wrong", and he usually didn't (or couldn't) expalin why. He also told us we'd be LUCKY to get a 6 point increase (I have more than doubled that). Not very encouraging. Major ego issues.

i assumed most instructors would suggest as much as a 15-20 point increase,
factoring in a 10 point increase simply because they were the instructor

our instructor said it was typical to expect a 10-20 point increase if you score about 150, and he expected our avg increase to be 15 pts.  of course, if your cold score was 140 you could improve 20 pts much easier than a person who scored a cold 160.  but the avg could realistically be about a 15 pt increase
i can totally see how that is possible.  taking an lsat cold vs taking the lsat after the course (and doing all of the homework along with many timed practice lsats) is a huge difference.
as crazy as it sounds, there are many people who take the lsat without much, if any prep.
and not everyone takes an actual prep course

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 03:03:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm with ya. When he said 6 I knew it had to be off (but he sucked so maybe 6 is his avg student's increase). My Testmasters instructor said 9 was about average... but students that apply themselves could go up 20. So far I have increased 14 points.

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 03:05:55 PM »
OK I'm enrolled in Testmasters. Anyone else in Chicago taking the late summer course?

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 03:12:48 PM »
You should order the Powerscore bibles to supplement the homework.