Law School Discussion

Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters?

. . .

• View Profile
Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters?
« on: July 21, 2006, 12:51:43 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but reading through everything on these boards has been so helpful. I wanted to get opinions on the best prep course - Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters. Kaplan has said that they are the ONLY ones who use real previously administered LSATs. Is this true? I need to sign up for one of these in the next week or so. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Re: Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 12:56:49 PM »
That is absolutely not true, all three companies use previously released LSATs, with testmasters being the first to do so and the other companies following suit.  I think most on this board would recommend powerscore or testmasters over Kaplan any day of the week.  The two companies (reportedly) have very similar curriculums and teaching because Powerscore was essentially formed by people who split off from testmasters.  I'm in testmasters right now and I've found it to be pretty helpful, but it all depends on how diligent you are in doing your work, regardless of which company you choose.  You get out of it what you put in.

I am Penny Lane

• Manager of the "Get Dotlyn to go to FSU" Campaign!
    • View Profile
    • LSN - What do you think of my choices?
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »
Kaplan has seriously lied to you. Do not, for any reason, take a LSAT Kaplan course.

As for Powerscore and Testmasters try to find which one has the more experienced instructor. I took Powerscore and it was a great class with a s***y instructor, and I am currently in Testmasters with a great instructor. Currently I think Powerscore has better materials.... but a GREAT instructor will make the real difference in your score.

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 01:01:30 PM »
I should add that we had a sub for 2 of my Powerscore classes and the sub rocked! Our usual guy was a pompus @$$.

. . .

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2006, 01:15:46 PM »
Thanks for the advice. So the Testmasters course offers 24 sessions while the Powerscore course is only 20. I'm thinking the more, the better...
Should I be doing outside practice tests on my own in addition to the course?

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 01:21:50 PM »
I think the common wisdom is that if you haven't done any previous prep, you don't really need to do any outside preptests while you're in the course, just concentrate on absorbing all of the concepts first.  You'll have plenty of homework assignments from the course alone.  When you think you've got a good handle on things you can start doing tests on your own.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 01:24:25 PM »
Hello everyone. I'm new here, but reading through everything on these boards has been so helpful. I wanted to get opinions on the best prep course - Kaplan, Powerscore, or Testmasters. Kaplan has said that they are the ONLY ones who use real previously administered LSATs. Is this true? I need to sign up for one of these in the next week or so. Any advice would be much appreciated!

according to LSAT Insider, Kaplan is the best option.
according to 99% of the other forum posters, avoid Kraplan and take Testmasters or Powerscore.
Powerscore puts out the LGB and LRB, two of the best all-around study aids available.
and their first summer session full-length course fits my schedule, so i went with them.

your instructor really makes a difference.
sounds like most of them have an ego problem (our powerscore instructor told us he was the best instructor they had)

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 01:26:58 PM »
your instructor really makes a difference.
sounds like most of them have an ego problem (our powerscore instructor told us he was the best instructor they had)

Haha, yup.  My testmasters instructor said "the one thing all of us testmasters instructors have in common is that we are all cocky as (expletive)"

I am Penny Lane

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:27:47 PM »
Thanks for the advice. So the Testmasters course offers 24 sessions while the Powerscore course is only 20. I'm thinking the more, the better...
Should I be doing outside practice tests on my own in addition to the course?

Actually they both have 20 sessions.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »
I used to teach LSAT (now I'm writing study books), and on one of my student evaluations I got something like, "Bass is an arrogant, insensitive ass who is more interested in parading around like a know-it-all than in helping his students."

I was pretty impressed with the response.  Usually the feedback was very positive.