Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Scared about costs  (Read 800 times)

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Scared about costs
« on: July 21, 2006, 03:51:54 AM »
I am starting to freak out a bit about law school costs.  Here is my situation. 

I received 19,000 in loans and scholarships from the law school.  Tuition and fees is about that. 

Living expenses and books etc. are estimated to bring the total to $34k

Is it possible to get private loans to cover the rest?  I wasn't expecting cost of living to be so much where I am going.  This is scary for me going into something like this without a large amount in savings.  I have read lots of posts about Plus loans.  Are these taken out through private institutions as well? 

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Scared about costs
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2006, 06:53:54 AM »
I am starting to freak out a bit about law school costs.  Here is my situation. 

I received 19,000 in loans and scholarships from the law school.  Tuition and fees is about that. 

Living expenses and books etc. are estimated to bring the total to $34k

Is it possible to get private loans to cover the rest?  I wasn't expecting cost of living to be so much where I am going.  This is scary for me going into something like this without a large amount in savings.  I have read lots of posts about Plus loans.  Are these taken out through private institutions as well? 

Yes you can get private loans (Grad PLUS) up to your budget, assuming you have decent credit.  Lots of people offer them (including most major banks).

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2006, 06:55:13 AM »
19k is a weird number for scholly + loans.  how much was the scholly?  i thought you could get 18.5 for stafford and then more for plus loan...and you got a scholly too?  jeez.  

i'd call the school and check up on this.
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

BrandonTexas

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2006, 12:02:07 PM »
I just looked at my record again, and with my Perkins loans, subsizidized direct and a grant, I had $14.7k.  Rest is scholarship bringing total to $19.2k in aid.

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2006, 09:20:39 PM »
Just think, if you had a lot of money saved up, they'd expect you to spend it all on school your first year and you wouldn't get the scholarship anyway. Try not to go too far in debt and just don't sweat it.