Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What Size (screen) laptop are you getting/have for school?

17"
 7 (5.6%)
15.4"
 34 (27.2%)
14"
 44 (35.2%)
12"
 34 (27.2%)
Smaller than 12"
 1 (0.8%)
Other
 5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: What size laptop are you getting/have?  (Read 5839 times)

Fierfly

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - ILadyIce
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What size laptop are you getting/have?
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2006, 10:10:20 PM »
I was also considering getting a Lenovo Thinkpad X60s or the Sony Vaio TX770P. I'm looking for something that's light, with a great battery life, and I've heard the X60s has both - but I'm a little turned off by the fact it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive (unless you buy the docking station, which is not something I'm interesting in doing). I have a desktop at home, so I guess it won't be that big a deal... but I'm really unsure about it. Also, there's the fact that my boyfriend now works for Sony, so we get a discount on their merchandise (though I'm not sure how good of a discount). My bf has a Vaio that had a lot of problems... but it's about 5 years old, so I'm hoping quality's improved since then.

But my opinions aside, which would you guys choose - Sony or Lenovo?

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2006, 11:09:39 PM »
I was also considering getting a Lenovo Thinkpad X60s or the Sony Vaio TX770P. I'm looking for something that's light, with a great battery life, and I've heard the X60s has both - but I'm a little turned off by the fact it doesn't have a DVD/CD drive (unless you buy the docking station, which is not something I'm interesting in doing). I have a desktop at home, so I guess it won't be that big a deal... but I'm really unsure about it. Also, there's the fact that my boyfriend now works for Sony, so we get a discount on their merchandise (though I'm not sure how good of a discount). My bf has a Vaio that had a lot of problems... but it's about 5 years old, so I'm hoping quality's improved since then.

Levono is what I chose.  I didn't love the docking station, so I didn't buy it.  I bought a cheapo external usb drive for like $40.  It'll fit in the case when I need it, but I'll almost never use it.  Plus, if you have a desktop, you can just share the optical drive over a network if you need it.  Really not a big deal.

But the battery life is ridiculous, and no computer is as reliable as the thinkpads.

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2006, 11:12:25 PM »
Also, there's the fact that my boyfriend now works for Sony, so we get a discount on their merchandise (though I'm not sure how good of a discount). My bf has a Vaio that had a lot of problems... but it's about 5 years old, so I'm hoping quality's improved since then.

Sony's quality has not improved much, if at all, from 5 years ago. Their laptops are still crap - although they look nice :).

I would choose the Thinkpad in a second, and I say that as a person who has never owned a Thinkpad (although I have done lots of tech support for them.) How much is the time you WILL spend trying to get the Sony fixed worth to you? What if it dies right before exams?

I would take a Thinkpad, a Dell, an HP, an Acer, or even a Gateway (maybe) over a Sony laptop.
165 / 3.94

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2006, 12:33:15 AM »
I got my x60s today. It's really nice and incredibly light. When I first saw it I thought it was too small, but after using it for a few hours, I'm sold. The monitor is the perfect size for a maximized web or document window.

LSD saved my life.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2006, 06:30:23 AM »
Yea, mine's coming today, and I'm pumped.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2006, 06:45:39 AM »

bass, i thought you were going to use your old lappy for awhile.  what happened?
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2006, 06:52:59 AM »

bass, i thought you were going to use your old lappy for awhile.  what happened?

I was.  I really was.  But HLS had such deals, and they only require a small loan that will be meaningless in a couple of years.

The old one is 2.5 yrs old, and I had to replace the battery and upgrade the RAM to even think about using it.  Even then it was too bulky.  I'm giving it to the fiancee.

shaz

• Sr. Citizen
  • University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2006, 06:57:20 AM »

I was.  I really was.  But HLS had such deals, and they only require a small loan that will be meaningless in a couple of years.

The old one is 2.5 yrs old, and I had to replace the battery and upgrade the RAM to even think about using it.  Even then it was too bulky.  I'm giving it to the fiancee.

i might be getting one myself, seeing as how my school does not support mac.    :'(    i just hope they have some nice deals like HLS.  (probably not.)
losin' sleep, gainin' knowledge.

crazy8

« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2006, 07:00:48 AM »
FYI the laptop thread has plethora of information about laptops and deals.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2006, 09:52:09 PM »
The machine showed up, so I'm now typing on my beautiful new thinkpad!