Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What Size (screen) laptop are you getting/have for school?

17"
 7 (5.6%)
15.4"
 34 (27.2%)
14"
 44 (35.2%)
12"
 34 (27.2%)
Smaller than 12"
 1 (0.8%)
Other
 5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: What size laptop are you getting/have?  (Read 6079 times)

Aerst2

• View Profile
Re: What size laptop are you getting/have?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 06:11:45 PM »
The Macbook's screen may have the perfect screen size, but the weight and battery life suck. It's 5.2lbs - that's very heavy for a laptop of this size. It's also unlikely that you will get more than 2.5hrs out of the battery, especially if you use it at full brightness.

Many other laptops are available today that are much lighter, with longer battery life - the Thinkpad X60s, for example. It weighs 2.7lbs and can get ~7 hours battery life.
165 / 3.94

lsatflunkie

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2006, 09:32:26 PM »
I have the dell inspiron e1505 and bought the kensington saddlebag sport backpack. It actually is fairly nice looking for a backback and it fits up to 17" notebooks, so you might want to check it ouy. I think it used to be advertised on the Dell site.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AHO8N/104-8193045-4758336?v=glance&n=172282

Thanks for the link ;)

I'm looking for that's a wheeled backpack- I get a lot of back pains when I'm carrying something for a long time- so I want to be able to switch to wheels when i can :)

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2006, 09:33:32 PM »
MACBOOK

Also it has serious issues with heat.

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2006, 09:38:23 PM »

Many other laptops are available today that are much lighter, with longer battery life - the Thinkpad X60s, for example. It weighs 2.7lbs and can get ~7 hours battery life.

However、the x60 is considerably more expensive than the MacBook, especially after you add in the docking station.

iFoughtTheLawAnd

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2006, 01:33:05 AM »
There's been a lot of support out there for the Lenovo ThinkPad X60. My school offers some discount on it, but i am turned off by the docking station needed to use a dvd burner. can anyone provide comments about this other lenovo notebook, the 3000 series? what's lacking, what's a potential problem, how similar is it to the features that make the X60 so widely-praised? will it work for law school? thanks a lot.

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/notebooks/3000/v-series/index.html

i'd look at the 2.0ghz more favorable myself.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2006, 07:21:49 AM »
Well, it's not a thinkpad.  That's one thing.  The included warranty is much shorter, the keyboard and mouse are standard lenovo rather than ibm (I think).  The battery life couldn't be as good, and the weight is slightly heavier.

That said, it looks like a good machine.

Aerst2

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2006, 07:32:08 AM »

Do I need to link to the video of the Macbook frying an egg on it's underside? :)

The X60s has no more heat problems than the Macbook does.

Yes, it is a bit more expensive...but you can also get a warranty with a reasonable turnaround rate (unlike Apple'care') and accidental damage coverage.
165 / 3.94

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2006, 08:10:00 AM »
I checked out the thinkpad forums very carefully before buying.  The only heat issue is that the right side palm rest gets warm (not hot) because the wireless is directly underneath.

And w/ IBM's ridiculous warranties and whatnot, you can just get fixed/replaced.

lightessenz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2006, 12:24:43 PM »
Do I need to link to the video of the Macbook frying an egg on it's underside

yeah-My comment was in regards to the Mac, not the ibm:)

Nellbelle

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - jckulllman@hotmail.com
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - jckullman@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: July 27, 2006, 12:35:23 PM »
I have the dell inspiron e1505 and bought the kensington saddlebag sport backpack. It actually is fairly nice looking for a backback and it fits up to 17" notebooks, so you might want to check it ouy. I think it used to be advertised on the Dell site.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000AHO8N/104-8193045-4758336?v=glance&n=172282

Kensington also makes a few rolled ones as well but only this one holds the big boy laptops.  ;)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009JR5K0/sr=8-1/qid=1154017893/ref=sr_1_1/104-8193045-4758336?ie=UTF8

I bought mine through amazon and got a great deal. I was initally looking at rolled cases and I think looked at targus and kensington quite a bit along with many many others. I would find the style and then go to amazon and usually find it at half the price!

Thanks for the link ;)

I'm looking for that's a wheeled backpack- I get a lot of back pains when I'm carrying something for a long time- so I want to be able to switch to wheels when i can :)
The librarian gig isn't all its cracked up to be!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=nell