Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What Size (screen) laptop are you getting/have for school?

17"
 7 (5.6%)
15.4"
 34 (27.2%)
14"
 44 (35.2%)
12"
 34 (27.2%)
Smaller than 12"
 1 (0.8%)
Other
 5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: What size laptop are you getting/have?  (Read 5965 times)

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What size laptop are you getting/have?
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:12:29 PM »
I like the Dell D420 and X60s.  They are below 3 lb, and with detachable optical drive, so you don't need to carry them when you don't need them. 

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 12:30:10 PM »
I got a good deal on the 17" screeen from Dell....on paper that didn't sound too big, but I'm a little concerned now that I actually have the thing in hand and it's really huge. I prefer my screen a bit bigger, but 15" probably would have done the trick. 

That said, it's not as heavy as I would have thought.  8lbs is bigger than most, but compared to the ancient Gateway Solo machine I'd been lugging around for 7 years, this thing is very light. Plus, the backpack carrying case that comes with it is roomy enough that it might even hold a book or two in addition to the computer. Maybe.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 12:43:10 PM »
I got a good deal on the 17" screeen from Dell....on paper that didn't sound too big, but I'm a little concerned now that I actually have the thing in hand and it's really huge. I prefer my screen a bit bigger, but 15" probably would have done the trick. 

That said, it's not as heavy as I would have thought.  8lbs is bigger than most, but compared to the ancient Gateway Solo machine I'd been lugging around for 7 years, this thing is very light. Plus, the backpack carrying case that comes with it is roomy enough that it might even hold a book or two in addition to the computer. Maybe.

Its funny that they still call the 17 inch notebooks "laptops." I was at a meeting the other day and watched a smaller lady with one of these 17 inchers on her lap. It just seemed like too much laptop IMHO.

None of this matters if you have the deskspace in class. I have to admit that I go "gaga" everytime I look at a 17 incher. Maybe they can make up a fold-into-your-wallet size 17 inch laptop? :) :) :)

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 01:26:26 PM »
Dell Latitude X1...2.5 lbs....I love it and it is fantastic!
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 02:03:13 PM »
I'm guessing a 14" widescreen might have a bit wider keyboard than a standard 14". Is this true? Just seems like it might be a good compromise.

You should be able to get a full size keyboard on a 14".  Go with another brand if yours doesn't have full size keyboard.  Even some 12" has full size keyboard

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 02:07:21 PM »
13.5" widescreen.

Perfect size.
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

kasper11

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 05:07:52 PM »
I went 15.4....I am going to be going to school at night and working during the day on a 19" monitor. The adjustment to 14" was just too much.
GPA: 2.15 (3.29 after 3 years off and transferring)
LSAT: 175

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 05:33:43 PM »
I got the 13" MacBook. I have a 14" Thinkpad now, so it will be a bit smaller, but shouldn't be that much different. I may still use the Thinkpad for exams and whatnot.

FlashInThePan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2006, 01:23:47 AM »
For me, I was looking at any laptop from my work (The Source by Circuit City) in Canada simply because I get a discount. I eventually settled on the new Toshiba P100-SD3 notebook. It has some great specs that'll last me for quite some time. The only thing is that the notebook has a honker of a screen at 17 inches. I guess I'll get used to that.

whitearbiter

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2006, 09:18:26 PM »
Dell Latitude D620 is a 14.1" WXGA screen. The widescreen aspect really mitigates the fact that it's smaller than a 15.4 without it being so scrunched up like a 12" notebook.

It was originally supposed to be a complete replacement for my aging desktop, but I imagine I'd enjoy writing papers on my desktop more. Regardless, the 14.1 Widescreen is about the right size/weight to be a versatile travel notebook.

In general, I love the widescreen aspect and I wish that the Lenovo that W&M has a contract with was one too. Oh well. If they had a widescreen Lenovo on contract, I prolly would've bought that one instead because Thinkpads have just a long record of quality work (although I was a bit skeptical now that it's owned by a Chinese firm).

Got my Dell fully loaded for $1550.
Accepted: *W&M$$*, W&L, GWU, GMU, Richmond
Waitlisted: UVA
Rejected: Duke

3.59(3.65 final)/165