Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

What Size (screen) laptop are you getting/have for school?

17"
 7 (5.6%)
15.4"
 34 (27.2%)
14"
 44 (35.2%)
12"
 34 (27.2%)
Smaller than 12"
 1 (0.8%)
Other
 5 (4%)

Total Members Voted: 117

Author Topic: What size laptop are you getting/have?  (Read 6037 times)

Stuje1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers Profile
    • Email
What size laptop are you getting/have?
« on: July 20, 2006, 10:25:48 PM »
I was wondering what size everyone is getting.  I am debating between a 14" and a 15.4".   The 14's keyboard seems a little scrunched and the screen is a little small for my eyes...but I don't know if the 15.4" will be too big to lug around.  it is only about a 1/2 lb. heavier, but it is a decent amount bulkier.  thoughts?  (I know, laptop questions have been discussed to death, so ignore the question if you are sick of them...but if not, please help  ;D ). 
8) Boston College
;D Colorado $, Wisconsin, OSU $, Indiana $, Case $$, Tulane $$$, Davis, Iowa, Hastings, UWashington
:-\ GW, WUSTL, Emory, WashLee, BostonU, Ariz, Minnesota
>:( Gtown, Mich, Nwestern, UIUC, Berk

cesco

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What size laptop are you getting/have?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 10:33:23 PM »
I got a 12" and I love it.  Perfect for me - but I could easily see how others would think it is too small.  I went from a 14" that I had for work to this, so it is taking a little adjustment.

I, along with my entire company, have used 14"ers forever.  I  never heard anyone complain, and until I started learning about laptops myself just assumed a 14" was standard.  I think you'd be fine w/a 14".
2L

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 10:45:44 PM »
12" and 2.7 pounds - I love it.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 10:52:17 PM »
12" here too and likewise. That said, I understand why some people prefer the 15.4, especially if the laptop is expected to be a "jack of all trades."

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

meestameesta

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 11:16:03 PM »
I recently bought a Sony Vaio SZ120.  It was the most powerful "thin and light" lappy I could find.  I have been very impressed...it is a 4lb. with a 14 in.screen.  The computer comes with a core duo processor, gig of ram(I added a second), vid card with 128 dedicated ram(and fingerprint scanner and built in mic and webcam).  It does extremely well for 4lbs., the only trade off is the price.  HTH
yeehaw Dallas

Tiwaz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2006, 12:08:37 AM »
I went with a 12" and I love it.  If I'd been planning to get rid of my desktop, though, I probably would have picked a 14".  Size and weight are huge considerations for me, but peering at a 12" screen 100% of the time would probably give me eyestrain.

yiplong

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2006, 12:40:40 AM »
I am going with a 12" Dell D420, at 3.2 lb. It is heavier than other competing laptops, like Thinkpad X60s and also runs at slower speed, but it is cheaper.  I will be upgrading my desktop from 17" CRT to a 23" LCD and put in state of the art video cards and additional hard drives.  So I guess my laptop will be used purely on the road, which doesn't require any kind of serious raw power or big screen. 

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2006, 12:43:46 AM »
I think the ideal for me would have been to buy a light but reasonably powerful 12 inch notebook (or tablet) and have a docking station at home that is always hooked up to a monitor, optical drive, keyboard, and mouse.  Maybe even external HD.

Instead, I decided to stick it out with my 14 incher.  It has served me well so far, so I don't feel like changing things.  The screen size is just fine with me (as in, I never feel like it's too small and wish I had a desktop).

I don't own a desktop.

Law2k6

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2006, 01:35:15 AM »
This it toally a personal preference kind of question. Personally, I could not stand to have less than 15.4"...but I'm used to dual monitors all day at work and a 19" LCD at home. 14" is probably standard, 15.4" is large and 12" is small. 17" is a beast and hardly anyone would have a notebook that size in class.
U.Va. Law, J.D. 2009

Strong

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 11:57:42 AM »
I got a Dell XPS M1210 and I am obsessed about it.

I like that it is a 12" with a CD-RW / DVD ROM at 4 lbs.