Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Are you buying your books from your bookstore? Online?  (Read 1412 times)

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
Are you buying your books from your bookstore? Online?
« on: July 20, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »
I got my booklist today and I am trying to figure out which would be cheaper. Does anyone have a good online source I could check out?

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
Re: Are you buying your books from your bookstore? Online?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 02:20:42 PM »
fwiw, a large number of my classmates saved money by ordering online.  i'm not sure where they ordered from though.
post-3L

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 02:23:30 PM »
i'm a sucker and i like to have brand spanking new books, so i will probably just get them from the bookstore.

onepoint

• Sr. Citizen
  • three down.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - nikepr0be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 02:27:19 PM »
you'll appreciate those brand new books even more in law school.  trying to ignore someone else's highlighting and notes played hell on my brain last year.

you can order new books online, too ;)
post-3L

goodgal

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:28:25 PM »
you'll appreciate those brand new books even more in law school.  trying to ignore someone else's highlighting and notes played hell on my brain last year.

you can order new books online, too ;)

i know, but i dont think i get my book list until orientation, and i dont want to have to wait until after classes start to get my books.  one less thing to worry about, i guess.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 02:33:28 PM »
I just looked up each and every book on my list on Amazon and found that pretty much every single book was the same, slightly less or ever so slightly more at my bookstore. So, it looks like I'll purchase, there.

Unless someone has a reaaaaaaly good online source?

Oingo

La_Mujer_de_Grecia

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 02:39:48 PM »
I've gotten several books in "very good" used condition (one of them literally had one paragraph highlighted out of the whole book) for about 1/4 of the used price at my school bookstore. I've been looking at half.com and amazon.com and also Barnes and Noble.

If you want to get really neurotic (to make sure you get the correct edition) you can get the ISBN # from your bookstore and then search on Amazon and Barnes and Noble that way.

I don't mind a little highlighting in my books because I just highlight and write over it anyway... to me it's a small price to pay... I added up how much all of my books would cost if I bought them at the school bookstore (and most of those I would be buying used) and I saved $300 this way.

Even if you like the books brand new, look into some of the "very good" or "excellent" used books - you will save a TON of money!!!

maka nani

• LSD Obsessed
    • AOL Instant Messenger - redsox1079
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 03:00:39 PM »
i'm a sucker and i like to have brand spanking new books, so i will probably just get them from the bookstore.
me too  :)
DON'T GO TO LAW SCHOOL YOU DUMB FUCKS.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 05:34:48 PM »
me too  :)

Me three. I'm kind of silly that way. I did find I really good used copy of one of my civ pro books though....total savings of $12 :)

Oingo

check01

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 08:03:18 PM »
I went to half.com and saved about $90 over the *used* prices at my bookstore. You can search by condition and the sellers usually tell you how much writing/highlighting to expect. Since half.com sellers have eBay reputation scores to protect, they generally tell the truth.

One interesting thing about my books is that even the ones with highlighting had it only in one small section -- as if the previous owner started out highlighting and taking notes in the book, but then just gave up.