Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: MBA as a negative for Law School applicant?  (Read 736 times)

OCLawGirl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
MBA as a negative for Law School applicant?
« on: July 20, 2006, 01:28:14 PM »
 I've heard that law schools see having an MBA as a negative.  Meaning, "if you have an MBA, why are you here?" or "Why did you get an MBA instead of just going for a law degree?"  i.e. A little of a scatter brain (confused, lack of direction, etc.) :-\

Say it aint so!  (your thoughts?)

"Yes, I'm URM!  And if you think for a min that I'm going to turn down any law school acceptance 'cause you feel I don't deserve it, you must be high on something.  I'm not giving up my seat at the front of the bus! Deal with it!" - LSN Unknown

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
Re: MBA as a negative for Law School applicant?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 01:33:29 PM »
i've heard different things

/voices in my head telling me it's time for lunch

KillMeNow

• My dream girl...so hot, let's keep the lights on
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 01:35:10 PM »
I don't see how it could hurt you in the application process.  That said, unless it is from one of the top few business schools, I don't think it will help all that much either.
"Did y'all hear that?  We're usin' code names."

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 01:48:35 PM »
I also don't see how it would hurt, unless you went straight from undergrad to MBA to law school.  It's probably in your best interest to offer an explanation in your ps as to why you got the mba or how it fits into your career goals (or why you're changing careers if it doesn't).

You don't have to turn your ps into a statement of intent, but just briefly address it.
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 02:21:38 PM »
It hurts because you may look scatterbrained. You're exactly right. You've got to show that you're not going to law school just for another degree. You need a purpose. If you can show that purpose, it won't hurt. If you can't, it will hurt.

Montauk in his book talks about this in far more detail. Check it out at your local barnes and noble: How to Get Into the Top Law Schools.

Good luck though.
YLS c/o 2009

paigeroo

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 03:33:19 PM »
I've heard that law schools see having an MBA as a negative.  Meaning, "if you have an MBA, why are you here?" or "Why did you get an MBA instead of just going for a law degree?"  i.e. A little of a scatter brain (confused, lack of direction, etc.) :-\

I don't think it would hurt any more than any other graduate degree.  I know for for a fact that places like UPenn like to see graduate degrees from their applicants.  If that weren't the case why would law schools go to so much trouble listing the percentage of students that possess graduate degrees from their incoming class.  It makes for a much more sophisticated, diverse class with complimentary skill sets. 

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2006, 03:36:24 PM »

I don't think it would hurt any more than any other graduate degree.  I know for for a fact that places like UPenn like to see graduate degrees from their applicants.  If that weren't the case why would law schools go to so much trouble listing the percentage of students that possess graduate degrees from their incoming class.  It makes for a much more sophisticated, diverse class with complimentary skill sets. 

one of the options i am looking at is smu's part-time evening program, which is geared towards working professionals.  for that program, they do consider applicants differently than they do for the full-time program, and a masters degree is a plus, as is work experience.  smu currently offers an mba/jd combo program, and is trying to figure out how to combine some type of engineering masters with a jd