Law School Discussion

TIER 5 Law Schools Made Here

Autumn

Re: TIER 5 Law Schools Made Here
« Reply #80 on: July 22, 2006, 09:29:30 PM »
Gin tastes like a pine tree, and I once mixed it with watermelon Kool-Aid in a big pitcher.  I drank the whole thing. Not a good idea, for the record. It sort of tasted like vomit.

You need to rethink your drinking habits, Auttie.

I do. I won't even tell you what kinds of beer I drink, because now that I think of it, they're all pretty cringeworthy.

Well, you live in the middle of nowhere.  I guess that's kind of an excuse?

That's my excuse for everything.

cyberrev

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2006, 05:05:12 AM »
all you fuckers quit flirting with my girl!    >:(

cyberrev

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2006, 11:31:50 AM »
aut6 has already chosen me in the 'whats your type thread'   :D

Autumn

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2006, 02:15:09 PM »
aut6 has already chosen me in the 'whats your type thread'   :D

It's true.

cyberrev

« Reply #84 on: July 23, 2006, 05:27:26 PM »
see?  she's smart, hot, knows how to rock, and tells the truth  ;D

« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2006, 01:45:51 PM »
I agree with this sentiment.  I am an incoming 1L at Syracuse, but even that was iffy for me on whether I should retake the LSAT.  While I do not agree with the rankings snobs that rank means everything, becasue I believe once you get beyond the top 15 or so, the differences between the #30 school and #100 school are pretty small.  However, I think the return on investment point is well taken.  I think Syracuse will pay off, though Roger Williams would be another story.  You get to a point where these T4 admissions standards are so low that employers just dont' respect them.  To quote a Columbia educated undergrad professor of mine:  "You have to realize that if you take out $100,000 in loans, you have to pay that back. In all honesty the only way to do that is to make a good living, and statistically speaking you won't do that going to a lowly ranked school."  Finally, I spoke with Tulsa Law soon to be 2L the other day... He hates it, his grades are mediocre and he has no summer internship and said he honestly debated not returning for year 2.  I don't say this to be snobby, but sometimes you gotta give up the dream.

I think that Sammyjenkins makes a point that these tier 4 schools usually don't offer a return on the investment that students put into them.  All one has to do is look at the stats of most tier 4 schools.  BTW, I'm not trying to be an elitist a-hole, I'm merely trying to make a point.  Honestly, I wouldn't go to law school if I only got accepted to a tier 4. 

Towelie

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2006, 01:49:31 PM »
I agree with this sentiment.  I am an incoming 1L at Syracuse, but even that was iffy for me on whether I should retake the LSAT.  While I do not agree with the rankings snobs that rank means everything, becasue I believe once you get beyond the top 15 or so, the differences between the #30 school and #100 school are pretty small.  However, I think the return on investment point is well taken.  I think Syracuse will pay off, though Roger Williams would be another story.  You get to a point where these T4 admissions standards are so low that employers just dont' respect them.  To quote a Columbia educated undergrad professor of mine:  "You have to realize that if you take out $100,000 in loans, you have to pay that back. In all honesty the only way to do that is to make a good living, and statistically speaking you won't do that going to a lowly ranked school."  Finally, I spoke with Tulsa Law soon to be 2L the other day... He hates it, his grades are mediocre and he has no summer internship and said he honestly debated not returning for year 2.  I don't say this to be snobby, but sometimes you gotta give up the dream.

I think that Sammyjenkins makes a point that these tier 4 schools usually don't offer a return on the investment that students put into them.  All one has to do is look at the stats of most tier 4 schools.  BTW, I'm not trying to be an elitist a-hole, I'm merely trying to make a point.  Honestly, I wouldn't go to law school if I only got accepted to a tier 4. 

I agree. Above everything else, law school is an investment. A rather large one at that. So, if you are taking $100,000 out in debt you had been be pretty damn sure you will be able to pay that back (or have a school with a generous LRAP so that at least they can pay it back). If, after one year, your grades are pretty awful and you go to a low ranked school, you should assess your options at that point before deciding whether or not to continue your legal education - even if you love it.

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2006, 01:56:26 PM »
My roommate was telling me about one of his friends that graduated from St. Thomas in florida.  This is a Tier 4.  He was saying that his friend opened up his own practice doing personal injury type stuff and is doing really really good. 

I suspect that my roommates friend probably was forced to open his own practice but that is just an assumption.  But he is still successsful and will be able to pay back the loans.. so if you believe then you can do it. 

Go to www.jimadler.com and look at the schools of these attorneys.  They are almost all Tier 4

I see a commercial for this firm every day on TV.  I bet they are making a killing.. All it takes is advertisment.  Lay folk don't really know that there is a difference in the Tier of law school that their attorney attended.

Play off that and watch the dollars fly into your pocket  ;)

Einstein

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2006, 02:25:14 PM »
This guy went to Cooley.

For what it's worth, even though The Texas Hammer is banking, he's a sleazebag. There are plaintiff's attorneys, then there are the guys who advertise during I Dream of Jeannie reruns on The Super Ones (a nod to all you old-school DFWers).

What ever happened to Jeffery D. Slakter?  Or the lawyer who sends flowers?  I still rememmber those checks that the people in the commercials would pop at the end.  Great stuff.  I don't see them anymore though. 

Or that one guy that was the urban lawyer.. with hip hop playing in the background.. lol

« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2006, 02:33:57 PM »
Congrats on getting into Penn, I just glanced at your lawschoolnumbers link.  I have a few buddies who scored in the high 160's, but it was surprising to see them get rejected from Georgetown, Berkley, etc, even with 168s.  One thing I did forget to mention in my post, the reason I applied to Syracuse originally was because they offer a joint masters in International Relations which I plan on doing; so I am actually looking at 150K in debt..

I agree. Above everything else, law school is an investment. A rather large one at that. So, if you are taking $100,000 out in debt you had been be pretty damn sure you will be able to pay that back (or have a school with a generous LRAP so that at least they can pay it back). If, after one year, your grades are pretty awful and you go to a low ranked school, you should assess your options at that point before deciding whether or not to continue your legal education - even if you love it.