Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does this really help  (Read 1471 times)

blkbutterflyy

• View Profile
    • Email
Does this really help
« on: July 20, 2006, 08:17:26 AM »
I spoke to someone that has taken the LSAT and he told me to read the whole dictionary.
He said that it will help in seeing what relations the words have and will help me to answer questions better. What do you think? Is this worth my time for those of you who have taken the LSAT?

SouthSide

• Sr. Citizen
  • Full speed ahead.
    • View Profile
Re: Does this really help
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2006, 08:25:24 AM »
I spoke to someone that has taken the LSAT and he told me to read the whole dictionary.
He said that it will help in seeing what relations the words have and will help me to answer questions better. What do you think? Is this worth my time for those of you who have taken the LSAT?

No. A far better use of your time, if you are looking for reading material, would be to read judicial decisions and critique them. Break down the argument sentence by sentence, and ask yourself how the author builds to and supports his or her main point. You can also do this with newspaper editorials, readings for school, and any texts that make an argument. Your critical reading skills will improve a lot.

Here's another one: Most of the hard words on the LSAT are simply words that appear all the time in major newspapers and books written for adults. Usually, when reading, if we come across a word we don't know, we just move along and try to pick up a rough approximation of the word's meaning from the context. What you should do is stop, find a dictionary (or just have it nearby while reading), and look up and memorize the word's meaning. You'll probably learn 75 new words this way between now and the time you take the LSAT, and probably three or four of them will be somewhere on the test itself.

Columbia 2L.

jer

• LSD Obsessed
  • i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »

did they also tell you that gullible really isn't in the dictionary because it's just a made up word?

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2006, 11:20:42 AM »
Umm... this might help with the GRE, not with the LSAT.

Heinz57

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2006, 12:37:15 PM »
God no. Unless you're studying for the national spelling bee or have no life whatsoever, there is no need to read the dictionary! Not even for GRE.

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2006, 01:25:17 PM »
If by now you don't have the reading skills to do well on the LSAT, no amount of dictionary or judicial opinion reading will help you improve.  Do neither of these things.  You should familiarize yourself with LSAT language and words by practicing the LSAT under timed conditions.  Assuming you're finishing up your college degree, there is little else you can do now to improve your reading skills in time for the test.  Just study the LSAT. 

pop_tort

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2006, 01:16:16 AM »

What a great way to distract the competition!! I'm going to pocket this b.s., as it may come in handy one day.

LOL!

chewy06

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2006, 02:58:55 AM »
This advice ranks up there with "just take the Kaplan course"  :D :D :D

Milashka

• View Profile
    • LSN (165/3.6)
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »
All the words you may need to know you will see while doing the preptest. there`s nothing else in the dictionary :)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2006, 10:32:26 AM »
The dictionary has a lot of words, though