Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: getting to maybe...when to read?  (Read 1547 times)

alexis

• View Profile
getting to maybe...when to read?
« on: July 19, 2006, 01:05:29 PM »
just bought Getting to Maybe, when's a good time to crack the spine? now? first week? any thoughts?

i also plan to get LEEWS and listen to that the week before classes, then right before exams....

anyone have  better suggestions as to when and how to use these exam taking tools?

Lionel Hutz

• Sr. Citizen
  • aka Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
    • smarter
Re: getting to maybe...when to read?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 01:15:57 PM »
I read getting to maybe a couple weeks back, and thought it was really good prep. I didn't understand everything, but it was worthwhile. I plan to check back periodically throughout the semster to make sure I'm on course. I dog eared some pages that I thought would be helpful to keep in mind. Course, I don't yet know if my plan will be successful...
Don't touch my stuff!...Hey this isn't the YMCA!

SJU 09

Jolie Was Here

• Sr. Citizen
  • 3L. Meh.
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but at one of the ASW I went to, one of the 3Ls said that it was the only prep book she'd recommend and she wished she had read it before taking her first round of exams.  I figure I'll pick it up some time this month and read it before classes start.  Then...what beckett said.
I was referring to your intellectual penis. Which is quite robust.

Jolie is creeping up on me. 

check01

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »
I read it but I plan to read it again about halfway through the semester. It's really good, but it's hard to understand exactly what they're talking about (forks in the law, forks in the facts) except in an abstract way. I suspect hearing about a few dozen cases like that will make the book much more understandable on a second read.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 04:24:01 PM »
Mid semeseter...seems logical. I'm afraid it might freak me out if I read it now--I'm nervous enough as it is

jimmyjohn

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:40:46 PM »
The only good thing that came out of that book was the $20 that I sold it for an Amazon.  It's boring and most of the stuff in the book is common sense.  In fact, it can be summed up in three words: argue both sides. 

lawrenc967

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 03:44:08 AM »
I agree with jimmyjohn.

but of course, not everyone has common sense.

syracuse1L

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2006, 06:30:14 PM »
I for one thought it was worth reading, but I do agree that a lot of this and other prep books is common sense.  My one complaint about the book is that is suffered from the same thing a lot of prep books suffer from; repetition!  Honestly, there is no shame in writing a 150 page book if you only have 150 pages of material, why do these authors stretch out their books beyond any reasonable limit?  Other than that, everything else my law school told me to read this summer is total garbage.

J D

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lust isn't one of the 7 Deadly Sins for nothing...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2006, 07:20:57 PM »
I haven't read it yet, but at one of the ASW I went to, one of the 3Ls said that it was the only prep book she'd recommend and she wished she had read it before taking her first round of exams.  I figure I'll pick it up some time this month and read it before classes start.  Then...what beckett said.

I've heard this as well.  Well, my source also said that Law School Confidential "isn't terrible."

I'm thinking it would be wise to read it now rather than wait until mid-semester if for no other reason than we have free time now.  Because (I assume) it doesn't teach substantive law, there's little risk of this being in any way counterproductive.

While GTM doesn't "teach" any substantive law, it does tend to draw on the subject matter you will likely encounter in the various courses as examples and illustrations.  It might be somewhat confusing for some people, but as long as you focus on the actual methods (i.e., think about policy arguments, find the ambiguities in the facts and the law and know why and how the outcome might turn on how these ambiguities are resolved, etc.) rather than on what those methods are being applied to, you should be good to go.
"I never think of the future.  It comes soon enough."--Albert Einstein

tacojohn

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I voted. P. Diddy told us to vote"
    • ICQ Messenger - 176834534
    • MSN Messenger - tacojohniu@msn.com
    • AOL Instant Messenger - TacoJohnIU
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - tacojohniu@yahoo.com
    • View Profile
    • Fearfully Optimistic
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2006, 10:20:32 AM »
Getting to Maybe's big problem is that while it tells you a lot of about what you need to have in a law school exam answer, it tells you very little and how to organize it or where in the answer stuff goes.  IRAC, for all its limitations, at leasts tells you how to present ideas.  While GTM tells you what needs to be in the answer, and how to put it in, it doesn't really give you many tips about organization and presentation.  That can make it seem a little overwhelming, especially when the book tells you just how many things there are to write about in the average answer.