Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 169299 times)

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1750 on: April 28, 2009, 09:42:23 PM »
There does seem to be more value placed on a white's life vs. a black's. Interesting study. However, is this negro who allegedly stole a semi truck today in the ATL guilty? I mean, I love my people, but accountability is a component of the equation; my pricipal point is: We need to do better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEO5gRUHWU
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: April 29, 2009, 12:40:44 AM »
:-\

LOL, what kind of females have ya'll been dating?!

The ones that are less than what I deserve. But it's all good..she will be found..........

"I'm gonna search around the world...
Until I find that girl...
(New York, Georgia, Cali, across the border...)
Gonna find my baby girl...
precious like a pearl..."

Joe Thomas knows what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMrpvsKavGc

"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: April 29, 2009, 01:38:05 PM »
There does seem to be more value placed on a white's life vs. a black's. Interesting study. However, is this negro who allegedly stole a semi truck today in the ATL guilty? I mean, I love my people, but accountability is a component of the equation; my pricipal point is: We need to do better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZEO5gRUHWU

The war on drugs is the prime reason why we are in a situation we are in for the large part. It has become a systematic way of keeping AA's in their place, everyone knows this war has failed but it is till going on. There are many reasons why it is a failure and why it is affecting us the most, which we can go on about it for months.

But you right the bottom line is "we need to do better"!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:56 PM »

I been fortunate to not run into the crazy ones, but once in a while you do run into those with unresolved "daddy issues" or with the catch phrase "my ex cheated on me before". And they want to make you pay for it subconciously because neither of those guys are around lol. You can understand to a certain point, but damn it gets old real fast lol
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: April 29, 2009, 03:52:52 PM »

I been fortunate to not run into the crazy ones, but once in a while you do run into those with unresolved "daddy issues" or with the catch phrase "my ex cheated on me before". And they want to make you pay for it subconciously because neither of those guys are around lol. You can understand to a certain point, but damn it gets old real fast lol

Whoa, daddy issues...you must be a clairvoyant!

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: May 02, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »
 :D  Ya'll must have some faulty radar.

So to get sorta back into the conversation about employment and tie it into the current one lemmee tell ya'll a story to get it off my chest.  I love the fellas on BLSD but I never ever want to hear how hard it is for ya'll in this field ever again!  Why?  The following:

So let me just say that I'm content in my current situation.  However, I recently got into contact with this guy who is a managing partner at a firm that no one in their right mind would say no to.  Wasn't getting paid for it but he asked for my help on a legal matter (sorry I'm being purposely vague for obvious reasons but I still want to tell the story) and treats me to lunch.  Cool although I think there are some ethical violations up in that bad boy. But then he gets into contact with me saying that I did a really nice job, yada yada, and "do I want the job"

Shiiiit  hell yeah.  (I didn't actually say that but my reaction was overboard; I'm going to need the 0Ls and 1Ls reading this to know that you should play it off a little more than I did- be cool when you accept).  So he says he's glad I'm "willing to work under him"  we'll go over the details "tomorrow at lunch".  Lunch was at a really nice restaurant.  I sit down and basically he's just talking my ear off about everything and anything but the job. 

So I brought up "so eh, let's go over the details". 

So this dude says "Actually, cui, I'm attracted to you.  And I'm afraid if I hire you that you will end up either suing the firm for sexual harrassment or you will end up leaving the firm citing that it was uncomfortable to work there."  Suffice it to say that if looks could kill, he'd be a goner.  >:( >:( >:( >:(

"Well you could just hire and not harrass me since it's your harrassment that you fear would cause an issue"

"Yeah but that's not likely to happen, I'm a dirty old man" 

"So...'working under you'"?

"Be my woman"

"Sorry, I got to go"   

WTF
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: May 02, 2009, 03:27:39 PM »
There is a gift and a curse that comes with the territory of being an attractive person. It's unfortunate that you had to experience this ordeal.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: May 02, 2009, 09:01:07 PM »
WTF

Seriously.  Definitely in the book.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: May 03, 2009, 11:43:56 AM »
Sounds like a real scumbag.  But what does that have to do with brothers in general having it hard in the legal field?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: May 03, 2009, 12:27:43 PM »
There is a gift and a curse that comes with the territory of being an attractive person. It's unfortunate that you had to experience this ordeal.

Thanks.  Iím still a little mad-  I mean you should have seen me when I thought I was going to get the job.  I looked like a little kid with my huge toothy ear-to-ear "red koolaid" grin.

WTF

Seriously.  Definitely in the book.

LOL.  Definitely.

Sounds like a real scumbag.  But what does that have to do with brothers in general having it hard in the legal field?

Certainly is.  That wasnít the main point of the story and was mostly just venting but I think this type of stuff may happen more often from man--> woman than either woman--> man or man --> man.   This and other factors may make us have a harder go of it in finding employment particularly in this field.

Then again, scumbaggery is not gender-specific.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King