Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 173240 times)

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1710 on: April 03, 2009, 02:30:33 PM »
I just have friends lol
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1711 on: April 06, 2009, 06:10:14 PM »

I actually think an MBA is more flexible. It's not like they HAVE to become investment bankers. Moreover, you have to accomplish something noteworthy professionally to get in in the first place. These are already people who have a skill set to make money before they go into the program. The same isn't true of most law students, who tend liberal arts degree holders who couldn't find a job that pays a living wage.

HHAHAH maybe if you go to Harvard or some Ivy leave B-school, but your average MBA program isn't that rigorous. If you got money and a few years work experience, then BOOM you get admitted into the program.

I know a lot of MBA programs that will accept you with 1 year of Law School experience even if you have NO working experience.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1712 on: April 13, 2009, 10:29:10 PM »
So I just got back from the federal prison here in NYC over in Brooklyn.  I had to meet with a client there. 

While I'm waiting, I'm in the general population visiting room for about 20 minutes, just watching folks come in and meet with their husbands/boyfriends/brothers/etc.  There were probably about 50, 60 people in this big room.

One thing that struck me...these were some of the FINEST women I have ever seen all gathered up in the same place - Federal Prison.  Waiting on their man.  I mean, these were beautiful sisters.   The kind that could have had their pick of any cat.  So then it made me wonder....WHAT are they all doing with these thug thizzles?!?!? 

Makes me sad. :'(

I'm with you on this one. My prediction: finding a sensible (American) black woman is going to be one of the most arduous tasks of my life.
Every black man should watch the film, "Diary of a Tired Black Man."

Now I know that it's not my fault...it's not our fault.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

Kohinoor

• View Profile
« Reply #1713 on: April 14, 2009, 07:54:23 AM »
I'm with you on this one. My prediction: finding a sensible (American) black woman is going to be one of the most arduous tasks of my life.

Is settling down with a black woman a mission of yours?

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1714 on: April 14, 2009, 11:18:15 AM »

I actually think an MBA is more flexible. It's not like they HAVE to become investment bankers. Moreover, you have to accomplish something noteworthy professionally to get in in the first place. These are already people who have a skill set to make money before they go into the program. The same isn't true of most law students, who tend liberal arts degree holders who couldn't find a job that pays a living wage.

HHAHAH maybe if you go to Harvard or some Ivy leave B-school, but your average MBA program isn't that rigorous. If you got money and a few years work experience, then BOOM you get admitted into the program.

I know a lot of MBA programs that will accept you with 1 year of Law School experience even if you have NO working experience.

That's a good point.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #1715 on: April 15, 2009, 01:38:50 AM »
So I just got back from the federal prison here in NYC over in Brooklyn.  I had to meet with a client there. 

While I'm waiting, I'm in the general population visiting room for about 20 minutes, just watching folks come in and meet with their husbands/boyfriends/brothers/etc.  There were probably about 50, 60 people in this big room.

One thing that struck me...these were some of the FINEST women I have ever seen all gathered up in the same place - Federal Prison.  Waiting on their man.  I mean, these were beautiful sisters.   The kind that could have had their pick of any cat.  So then it made me wonder....WHAT are they all doing with these thug thizzles?!?!? 

::)
Columbia 3L

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1716 on: April 16, 2009, 09:17:31 AM »

Haven't seen it, but I did see a good independent film lately "I'm Through with White Girls."  Hilarious.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1717 on: April 16, 2009, 09:40:13 AM »
Imagine how those in business school are faring. :-/

I have friends that have had internships in places that no longer exist!

I have friends that had jobs in places that no longer exist! :'( :o

WORD!!!

One of my best friends from law school just got laid off from her firm here in the City a couple weeks ago and another one of my friends was working at a firm in Philly that just closed its doors after over 100 years of existence.

We're dropping like flies.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1718 on: April 16, 2009, 12:01:38 PM »
@Sands: ya'll will be alright.

@ Agree to Disagree : lol are u just trying to start something with ladies? saw the movie. Boo. And its not that hard to find good American black women (nor men for that matter).
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1719 on: April 16, 2009, 05:27:46 PM »
@Sands: ya'll will be alright.

@ Agree to Disagree : lol are u just trying to start something with ladies? saw the movie. Boo. And its not that hard to find good American black women (nor men for that matter).

Not trying to start anything at all, I simply weighed in on Sands' paradoxical experience in the jailhouse visiting room. He was perplexed at the sight of so many beautiful sistas waiting on thug thizzles. Well, there is a vignette in the film detailing Sands' exact experience (sistas forgoing intelligent, genteel brothas for thug thizzles). I guess you concede that it's hard to find a good black woman but not that hard. Incidentally I'm not your boo, your honey, or any other silly term y'all use to subtly convey condescension.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.