Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 173224 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1700 on: March 26, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »
LOL

Well they definitely have their pick of the litter if they want us.  Although I don't know too many people who are taking the public interest route even after being laid off.  Especially with Manhattan rent.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1701 on: March 30, 2009, 06:58:28 AM »
I read somewhere that all these laid off associates are applying for "public interest" work now. Which had me thinking, if I was some non profit organization would I take one of these laid off associates over the other law students who wanted to do public interest law since the day they left law school?

I am not saying these laid of associates are bad people or anything like that. Just in general, how do you guys feel about situations like that?

Me, personally, if I was some hiring person in public interest field I will probably tell these associates kind of like that Mike Jones song "Back then they didnt want me now Im hot they all on me!!" kind of deal!!

These associates, despite all their accolades are hardly shoo-ins at public interest orgs for the very reasons you outlined. Public interest orgs want people who are dedicated to the cause, and not those who are looking to ride out the recession for a year or so. There was an article on ATL about it recently, in fact.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1702 on: March 30, 2009, 07:09:38 AM »
LOL

Well they definitely have their pick of the litter if they want us.  Although I don't know too many people who are taking the public interest route even after being laid off.  Especially with Manhattan rent.

It's more common for grads of schools that have LRAP. Berkeley folks can get right back onto LRAP if they go into PI within 2 (maybe 3) years of graduation. Usually PIO's pay a living wage, so if you don't have loans to worry about, it might be a lifestyle downgrade, but better than nothing at all. There are so many of these laid-off associates, the market is flooded; I don't think most of them can afford to be picky.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1703 on: March 30, 2009, 06:57:21 PM »
LOL

It's more common for grads of schools that have LRAP. Berkeley folks can get right back onto LRAP if they go into PI within 2 (maybe 3) years of graduation. Usually PIO's pay a living wage, so if you don't have loans to worry about, it might be a lifestyle downgrade, but better than nothing at all. There are so many of these laid-off associates, the market is flooded; I don't think most of them can afford to be picky.

The market is CRAZY flooded right now.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1704 on: March 30, 2009, 07:12:11 PM »
I read somewhere that all these laid off associates are applying for "public interest" work now. Which had me thinking, if I was some non profit organization would I take one of these laid off associates over the other law students who wanted to do public interest law since the day they left law school?

I am not saying these laid of associates are bad people or anything like that. Just in general, how do you guys feel about situations like that?

Me, personally, if I was some hiring person in public interest field I will probably tell these associates kind of like that Mike Jones song "Back then they didnt want me now Im hot they all on me!!" kind of deal!!

These associates, despite all their accolades are hardly shoo-ins at public interest orgs for the very reasons you outlined. Public interest orgs want people who are dedicated to the cause, and not those who are looking to ride out the recession for a year or so. There was an article on ATL about it recently, in fact.

Well hope they saved up those big checks from the slave firm lol..I feel weird about starting law school this fall when the career is at its lowest point in a while..I read somewhere a partner stating that it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. When do yall think things will even out again, at the latest?
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1705 on: April 02, 2009, 08:30:13 AM »

Well hope they saved up those big checks from the slave firm lol..I feel weird about starting law school this fall when the career is at its lowest point in a while..I read somewhere a partner stating that it is going to get a lot worse before it gets better. When do yall think things will even out again, at the latest?

I think things will start picking up late this year and coming back in a major way fall of 2010. My guess is that by the time you graduate, the market will more or less recover.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1706 on: April 03, 2009, 09:23:12 AM »
Imagine how those in business school are faring. :-/

I have friends that have had internships in places that no longer exist!
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1707 on: April 03, 2009, 10:01:57 AM »

I actually think an MBA is more flexible. It's not like they HAVE to become investment bankers. Moreover, you have to accomplish something noteworthy professionally to get in in the first place. These are already people who have a skill set to make money before they go into the program. The same isn't true of most law students, who tend liberal arts degree holders who couldn't find a job that pays a living wage.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1708 on: April 03, 2009, 10:29:33 AM »

I have friends that had jobs in places that no longer exist! :'( :o

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1709 on: April 03, 2009, 01:54:35 PM »
@ Eugene Young: sure that too.

@LittleRussianPrincess: yeah I think that speaks to the resilence of the people but technically a similar argument could be made for law students. Not everyone has to be a Big Law corporate attny. And anyone that made it through law school could do a number of other things with their JD.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King