Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 173023 times)

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1690 on: February 11, 2009, 06:28:31 AM »
But, but...service!  Convenience!  Nightlife!  Getting to say you live in "the City"!

I hear you though...I just did my taxes.  ::sigh::

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1691 on: February 11, 2009, 01:16:29 PM »
Yeah I guess those things help to balance it out. I guess, for me, my money is more important...but then again, being able to hop on a subway at any time of the night 24/7 and be anywhere, including three major airports that go anywhere in the world, does have an upside that I suppose comes with some costs.  But still, sheesh.  Get outa my pocket man!!!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1692 on: February 25, 2009, 08:13:13 AM »
But, but...service!  Convenience!  Nightlife!  Getting to say you live in "the City"!

I hear you though...I just did my taxes.  ::sigh::

It would be nice if they just addressed the putrid smell of eu de garbage in the city first. I can't stand going to NYC for that reason. The place reeks, even Manhattan.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1693 on: March 15, 2009, 12:32:03 AM »
Checking in with Sands and the other associates here.... how are things?  Everyone okay?
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1694 on: March 21, 2009, 07:31:38 PM »
Checking in with Sands and the other associates here.... how are things?  Everyone okay?

I'll be able to tell ya if I make it through 2009.

It's scary out there.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1695 on: March 22, 2009, 08:25:09 PM »

It's scary out there.

Good luck!  All us 3Ls are terrified.  It's fine to get delayed until Jan.--although it's a bit lame for grown adults to have to go back to live with their parents--but the worst part is the fear that you won't be starting at all!

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1696 on: March 24, 2009, 10:47:28 PM »

It's scary out there.

Good luck!  All us 3Ls are terrified.  It's fine to get delayed until Jan.--although it's a bit lame for grown adults to have to go back to live with their parents--but the worst part is the fear that you won't be starting at all!

Yeah I feel for you guys in the class of '09.  Nobody is safe.  We're dropping like flies out here.

But truth be told, a few of these 2010 deferment packages that some of you guys are getting sound like a pretty sweet deal.  *&^% I'll take a year off of work for $75K while I go travel across the world and become a bar tender at some place in the Islands somewhere.  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it.
Charles H. Houston

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1697 on: March 25, 2009, 12:44:53 AM »
Yeah I feel for you guys in the class of '09.  Nobody is safe.  We're dropping like flies out here.

But truth be told, a few of these 2010 deferment packages that some of you guys are getting sound like a pretty sweet deal.  poo I'll take a year off of work for $75K while I go travel across the world and become a bar tender at some place in the Islands somewhere.  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it.

Fortunately, I have a clerkship lined up, but if I were among those offered an optional deferment there is NO WAY I would take it unless I truly was not interest in working at a law firm.  I would get my butt to a firm asap, try to pay off/ save as much money as I could, build relationships with partners who will protect me, and work as hard as possible.  There is just no guarantee that a firm will take back the people who accept the deferment, and in fact if I were choosing people to cut I would rather not hire such people than fire hardworking associates....

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1698 on: March 25, 2009, 09:23:39 PM »

But truth be told, a few of these 2010 deferment packages that some of you guys are getting sound like a pretty sweet deal.  poo I'll take a year off of work for $75K while I go travel across the world and become a bar tender at some place in the Islands somewhere.  Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee-it.

Fortunately, I have a clerkship lined up, but if I were among those offered an optional deferment there is NO WAY I would take it unless I truly was not interest in working at a law firm.  I would get my butt to a firm asap, try to pay off/ save as much money as I could, build relationships with partners who will protect me, and work as hard as possible.  There is just no guarantee that a firm will take back the people who accept the deferment, and in fact if I were choosing people to cut I would rather not hire such people than fire hardworking associates....

Not to mention, there's no guarantee that the firm itself will even exist by the time the deferment is over.

It's a jungle out here.  NY's biggest law firms are dropping like flies.  Everyday biglaw associates are getting laid off like we're going out of style.

Charles H. Houston

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1699 on: March 26, 2009, 12:31:39 AM »
I read somewhere that all these laid off associates are applying for "public interest" work now. Which had me thinking, if I was some non profit organization would I take one of these laid off associates over the other law students who wanted to do public interest law since the day they left law school?

I am not saying these laid of associates are bad people or anything like that. Just in general, how do you guys feel about situations like that?

Me, personally, if I was some hiring person in public interest field I will probably tell these associates kind of like that Mike Jones song "Back then they didnt want me now Im hot they all on me!!" kind of deal!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!