Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 169056 times)

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1650 on: June 19, 2008, 05:33:06 PM »
I enjoy Pro Bono work b/c the clients are usually not as demanding - not all and those get dumped.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1651 on: July 08, 2008, 10:31:02 AM »
Hey y'all, is anyone on here applying to the GA Bar? Need to get all my stuff together but I heard the process is an 8-month-long mess. True?
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1652 on: July 08, 2008, 10:34:41 AM »
I thought you just took the bar in NY.  Just out of curiousity why did you decide to take it there if within a year you would want to take Georgia's?
Boalt Hall '10

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1653 on: July 12, 2008, 06:22:31 PM »
Okay, I have a very serious question.  I just finished 8 weeks as a summer associate, and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it all that much.  The events were stressful, and there was a lot of pressure to attend them (small summer class).  I liked the work, and I liked the other members of my summer class.  I felt like a lot of the attorneys were two-faced... for instance, I got positive feedback from someone on a project, and then I went to my midsummer review and that person had slammed me because I had asked for an hour extension.  An HOUR.  Another partner gave me a negative comment in my review because, when asked for an "update," I had sent an email instead of giving an oral report.  WTF?  How could I have known she wanted an oral report?  Is it normal to get such nitpicky comments in reviews like this?

Do I just not like Biglaw practice, or is it the firm? 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #1654 on: July 12, 2008, 06:26:45 PM »
That sounds like a firm culture problem.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1655 on: July 12, 2008, 07:29:36 PM »
Hey y'all, is anyone on here applying to the GA Bar? Need to get all my stuff together but I heard the process is an 8-month-long mess. True?
What up Ruskie?  :)  still london bound?
When a candidate faces the voters he does not face men of sense [but] a mob of men whose chief distinguishing mark is the fact that they are quite incapable of weighing ideas men whose whole thinking is done in terms of emotion. As democracy is perfected the White House will be adorned with a moron.

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
« Reply #1656 on: July 12, 2008, 09:27:15 PM »
Okay, I have a very serious question.  I just finished 8 weeks as a summer associate, and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it all that much.  The events were stressful, and there was a lot of pressure to attend them (small summer class).  I liked the work, and I liked the other members of my summer class.  I felt like a lot of the attorneys were two-faced... for instance, I got positive feedback from someone on a project, and then I went to my midsummer review and that person had slammed me because I had asked for an hour extension.  An HOUR.  Another partner gave me a negative comment in my review because, when asked for an "update," I had sent an email instead of giving an oral report.  WTF?  How could I have known she wanted an oral report?  Is it normal to get such nitpicky comments in reviews like this?

Do I just not like Biglaw practice, or is it the firm? 

:-[  Oh, dear lord. 

Are you sure that they're not looking for these negative things because of some larger issue, which may be economic?  These sound like excuses to sink your associate position.

good point

That sounds like a firm culture problem.

another good point

Legapp, mind PMing me the firm?  I'm going through the bidding process now, and I may just want to stay away from that place  :-\
Columbia 3L

pikey

• LSD Obsessed
  • Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1657 on: July 12, 2008, 11:12:17 PM »
Legapp, mind PMing me the firm?  I'm going through the bidding process now, and I may just want to stay away from that place  :-\

Me, too. Please share the info...

Me three, please!
The noobs are so into themsleves you'd think they allready have offers at Tool, Tool, feminine hygiene product & Dumbass LLC

lsn

mike4488

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1658 on: July 12, 2008, 11:16:55 PM »
me four, please
Boalt Hall '10

flyaway

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile