Law School Discussion

Life As An Associate

Gengiswump

• "she's a tough mfer, but she knows how to party"
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1390 on: December 13, 2007, 02:34:48 PM »
Lol I'm just saying.  I tip for past performance, not future performance.  Good future performance is incentivized by the expectation of a future tip.  But if you tip early and get bad performance later, then you have no way to adjust the incentives.  Granted, you could reduce the next year's tip, but why not just wait and see anyway?

Because the last thing you ever, ever want to have happen in a corporate setting is the administrative staff being pissed at you.  EVER. 

Also, you'd be pissed if someone used that logic on your bonus - a tip and/or bonus is for good work, even if it's just two months worth - you don't prorate based on time you've been employed with the firm.  Now go tip somebody, and stop giving black folks a rep for being cheap. :P

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1391 on: December 13, 2007, 02:38:09 PM »
Do stub year associates get bonuses?  Regardless, if they do, they should be prorated.  And it's not like the administrative staff is getting minimum wage...so they already have an incentive to do well.

Now, all of this isn't to say that I wouldn't tip my sec'y the full amount.  I'm a fairly generous guy.  I'm just saying that the logic/economics are messed up.  Much like our steady hike in the standard tip amount.  The tip is already tied to inflation b/c it's tied to the price of food.  Ish should still be 10%.  But I digress ;).

« Reply #1392 on: December 13, 2007, 02:45:33 PM »
Do stub year associates get bonuses?  Regardless, if they do, they should be prorated.  And it's not like the administrative staff is getting minimum wage...so they already have an incentive to do well.

Well most people would say that 160 G's base salary should give an associate enough incentive to bill however many hours they're required, but nevertheless....

All I'm saying is good service comes at a premium these days. Maybe it shouldn't be the case, but it's the norm. I do feel you on the 15 percent thing thing though. If the tip is a percentage of the bill, and prices increase, then the tip percentage shouldn't need to be adjusted. Oh well....

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1393 on: December 13, 2007, 02:47:12 PM »
Lol I'm just saying.  I tip for past performance, not future performance.  Good future performance is incentivized by the expectation of a future tip.  But if you tip early and get bad performance later, then you have no way to adjust the incentives.  Granted, you could reduce the next year's tip, but why not just wait and see anyway?

Because the last thing you ever, ever want to have happen in a corporate setting is the administrative staff being pissed at you.  EVER.  

Also, you'd be pissed if someone used that logic on your bonus - a tip and/or bonus is for good work, even if it's just two months worth - you don't prorate based on time you've been employed with the firm.  Now go tip somebody, and stop giving black folks a rep for being cheap. :P

Gospel.

Do stub year associates get bonuses? 

No we don't.  Its possible but you'd have to bill mad hours and even then it would be a prorated bonus.

But yeah bruh, you gotta take care of the secretaries.  No time to be cheap.  They know how much we make as does the rest of the world.  Not giving them a gift would effectively be making a statement.

« Reply #1394 on: December 13, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »
The tip is already tied to inflation b/c it's tied to the price of food.  It should still be 10%.  But I digress ;).

As a former waitress, I strongly disagree with this statement. At a nice NY restaurant, the waitress isn't just pocketing her tip--often you have to tip out the the bar, the busboys, and the runners.  The fake $3 hourly wage basically just pays your taxes.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1395 on: December 13, 2007, 03:38:16 PM »
But why was 10% sufficient a decade or so ago?  They had busboys, etc. back then too.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: December 13, 2007, 03:40:49 PM »

Well most people would say that 160 G's base salary should give an associate enough incentive to bill however many hours they're required, but nevertheless....

All I'm saying is good service comes at a premium these days. Maybe it shouldn't be the case, but it's the norm. I do feel you on the 15 percent thing thing though. If the tip is a percentage of the bill, and prices increase, then the tip percentage shouldn't need to be adjusted. Oh well....

Did you guys see that one firm (Bois Schiller) just went up to $168,000/yr base?

Uh oh...could be trouble...

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: December 13, 2007, 03:46:41 PM »
A friend of mine was recently convicted of misdemeanor destruction of property. He was at a bar with friends and he hadn't drank in over a month, being an inexperienced drinker he drank himself stupid, "blacked out", and woke up in jail. Only to find out that he had destroyed two car windshields and a sunroof. He narrowly avoided expulsion from a prominent public University (Michigan), and was convicted of misdemeanor destruction of property. Scared shitless of the effect alcohol has had on him, he has completely changed his life: Moved out of apartment (drinkers live there), was treated by two separate counseling agencies for alcohol abuse prevention, became more active in church, and is even considering writing a book on the dangers of alcohol abuse among college students. This man has stellar GPA, and his only other infractions with rules before were two underage drinking incidents in the sophomore dorms. Basically I am wondering if this guy is screwed for law school admissions, will they just look at him as a vagrant alcohol abuser whose shotty ways caught up with him, or will they truly see that this event has changed his life for the good, making an even greater law abiding citizen in the future. Let me know what ya'll think, because my buddy is extremely depressed that all his hard work for his entire life up until now is for not, due to one stupid night of drinking with friends. He has even considered joining the marines, thinking that a misdemeanor on his record will taint any future job prospects.

I think you should put this on the thread "Official what are my chances..."

But probably not.  I know attorneys that had drug convictions.  The thing is to fully disclose this when applying to take the bar.  The applications to law school ask "have you ever been arrested and convicted of a felony..."  Some of ppl get that question all mixed up.  They think if they got arrested then they have to disclose this.  I'm not encouraging your friend to be dishonest. but that's not what the question asks.  "and convicted of a felony" is the key phrase.  But def tell your friend to have the other aspects of his application together.  Great LSAT score, great grades, etc.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: December 13, 2007, 03:51:18 PM »

Did you guys see that one firm (Bois Schiller) just went up to $168,000/yr base?

That's not enough to bother with.  Somebody's going to jump to $175k.  I think $190k is looking less likely in this economic environment.  But we'll see.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: December 13, 2007, 03:55:29 PM »

That's not enough to bother with.  Somebody's going to jump to $175k.  I think $190k is looking less likely in this economic environment.  But we'll see.

We had our montly Associates meeting this week and reports of the pay increases from other collegues at other firms in the city was one of the topics of discussion.  All speculation at this point it seems.  $190 is still the rumor with talk of $200 for the big dogs.