Law School Discussion

Life As An Associate

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1350 on: December 12, 2007, 08:49:54 AM »

I remember feeling that midwest vibe - fellas still too concerned with mean muggin in the club, sportin throwbacks and corn rows, ladies still attracted to aforementioned thugs, etc.  You can certainly find that crowd in NY in some spots in Harlem and the Bronx, but only if you want to. In NY, you def have more representation on the other end of the spectrum - young professionals, chic attire, out in the club with the mentality of having a good time, etc.

Ugghhh...I HATE this! I didn't know this was a midwest thing, but that makes sense because it is alive and kickin in my city! Infact, i've been completely turned off from clubs because of it. (As well as the accompanying violence and shootings) I'm definitely looking forward to being around and socializing with people on the other end of the spectrum. I like to keep it classy!  :)

Yeah that's what I love about being in NY.  Where are you hailing from?

« Reply #1351 on: December 12, 2007, 08:52:28 AM »
'cuz to keep it real, imma need some money to indulge in my love of bags :D

LOL, I think we have the same addiction!  I'm going to buy myself one nice bag after this summer--what should I get?  I was thinking every bonus time I'd let myself buy one bag... that alone would make the whole year's work worth it!   :)

The difference between a 15 and 30 min commute, is, of course, 30 min roundtrip--but it's not the time that's the problem, exactly, it's the unpredictability.  The longer you spend on the train, the more likely you are to encounter delays due to the ever-present "sick passenger" or "train malfunction."

I've done the hour commute before, and it was fine when I had a 9-5 (got a lot of reading done).  But when free time is so minimal, the last thing I want to do is spend it on the subway.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: December 12, 2007, 08:54:30 AM »

LOL, I think we have the same addiction!  I'm going to buy myself one nice bag after this summer--what should I get?  I was thinking every bonus time I'd let myself buy one bag... that alone would make the whole year's work worth it!   :)

The difference between a 15 and 30 min commute, is, of course, 30 min roundtrip--but it's not the time that's the problem, exactly, it's the unpredictability.  The longer you spend on the train, the more likely you are to encounter delays due to the ever-present "sick passenger" or "train malfunction."

I've done the hour commute before, and it was fine when I had a 9-5 (got a lot of reading done).  But when free time is so minimal, the last thing I want to do is spend it on the subway.

Don't mess around with it - Go for the Birkin.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: December 12, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »
Imma stick with BK...BK all day everyday!  however, i may move later on--if only to make sure that my zoned school area is a good one

oh i love brooklyn, and i definitely want to move back at some point... i just worry about the hours as a young associate, so i feel like i should live as close as possible to work.  since midtown east housing is such a scam, next closest is queens... although if i could afford brooklyn heights, i suppose the commute would be ok.

queens is wack (bc of course, bk ppl don't like other boroughs)...for the most part, you have to go through brooklyn to get to queens anyway.

i thought about the young associate/working late hours thing too...but i'd rather just get my own place as soon as i can instead of paying rent.  paying my own mortgage>>>>>> paying someone else's mortgage by way of rent in the city.  thus, i wouldn't have to worry about paying debt, paying rent, and saving for my own place all at the same time--'cuz to keep it real, imma need some money to indulge in my love of bags :D

I hear more BK'er talk noise on Queens than anybody else.  LOL  Hilarious.  Why do ya'll hate them so much?

As far as living close to the gig, I hear what you guys are saying as far as the 15 minute commute vs. the 30-40 minute commute.  I think another aspect of it that we haven't mentioned yet is just the experience of actually living in Manhattan.  In talking with a lot of associates at these events it seems like that is a big winner among the new first years.  They want to actually be actually immersed in the Manhattan living experience if for no other reason just to say they did it.  Some of the Columbia grads told  me that they felt too far removed from the City even being being where they were at - uptown near Columbia.  They said they were completely fine with the higher rents that come with moving south into midtown and lower Manhattan.  For them, they want to be closer to the action. 

As for me, I'm cool keepin it uptown for now.  Maybe BK or LIC is in my not-too distant future, who knows.  I don't share that same desire to be 15 minutes more to the south just to be in the mix - not to the tune of an additional 2k per month anyway.  No sir.  But aparently a lot of people feel strongly about it and it shows with all these outrageous rents that building owners are charging simply because they know they can.

2Lacoste

• Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: December 12, 2007, 09:19:42 AM »

Yeah, I did a 75-minute commute each way to college everyday for four years, so 30 minutes is a f'n breeze.

« Reply #1355 on: December 12, 2007, 09:21:54 AM »
Imma stick with BK...BK all day everyday!  however, i may move later on--if only to make sure that my zoned school area is a good one

oh i love brooklyn, and i definitely want to move back at some point... i just worry about the hours as a young associate, so i feel like i should live as close as possible to work.  since midtown east housing is such a scam, next closest is queens... although if i could afford brooklyn heights, i suppose the commute would be ok.

queens is wack (bc of course, bk ppl don't like other boroughs)...for the most part, you have to go through brooklyn to get to queens anyway.

i thought about the young associate/working late hours thing too...but i'd rather just get my own place as soon as i can instead of paying rent.  paying my own mortgage>>>>>> paying someone else's mortgage by way of rent in the city.  thus, i wouldn't have to worry about paying debt, paying rent, and saving for my own place all at the same time--'cuz to keep it real, imma need some money to indulge in my love of bags :D

I hear more BK'er talk noise on Queens than anybody else.  LOL  Hilarious.  Why do ya'll hate them so much?

As far as living close to the gig, I hear what you guys are saying as far as the 15 minute commute vs. the 30-40 minute commute.  I think another aspect of it that we haven't mentioned yet is just the experience of actually living in Manhattan.  In talking with a lot of associates at these events it seems like that is a big winner among the new first years.  They want to actually be actually immersed in the Manhattan living experience if for no other reason just to say they did it.  Some of the Columbia grads told  me that they felt too far removed from the City even being being where they were at - uptown near Columbia.  They said they were completely fine with the higher rents that come with moving south into midtown and lower Manhattan.  For them, they want to be closer to the action. 

As for me, I'm cool keepin it uptown for now.  Maybe BK or LIC is in my not-too distant future, who knows.  I don't share that same desire to be 15 minutes more to the south just to be in the mix - not to the tune of an additional 2k per month anyway.  No sir.  But aparently a lot of people feel strongly about it and it shows with all these outrageous rents that building owners are charging simply because they know they can.

right...those people are on that frivolous bull...i'm not paying 2k more.

eh, i like this area...but i def take NYC for granted so i suppose i could understand the desire to be in the mix.  i'd still rather save money for my own place though--that's the part that doesn't make sense to me about wasting 2k a month.

HA HA...yay! another bag fiend.  i have no clue...i was thinking if i got a 1L summer gig, i'd get 1 bag too...either a Gucci or a LV epi leather or damier canvas designed bag. 

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: December 12, 2007, 09:23:58 AM »

LOL, I think we have the same addiction!  I'm going to buy myself one nice bag after this summer--what should I get?  I was thinking every bonus time I'd let myself buy one bag... that alone would make the whole year's work worth it!   :)

Yeah, I did a 75-minute commute each way to college everyday for four years, so 30 minutes is a f'n breeze.

Speaking of 75+ minutes...this morning I walked out the door of my apartment in Newark at 8:30 and when I got to my office door it was 9:50.  Not feelin it.

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: December 12, 2007, 09:24:25 AM »

Yeah, I see this as a result of the fact that many of these cats are not native New Yorkers.  So they don't understand that they can have a social life in Brooklyn too.  When I first started college, I chilled in the city more than anything else.  But eventually I noticed how much more expensive, trendy, touristy, and f-in' lame it was.  It got boring.  Now I chill in Brooklyn more than I do Manhattan.  I bet something like 75% of Manhattan-homed new associates from outside of New York have not spent more than one night partying in Brooklyn.  Oh well, their problem.  I'm trying to avoid these lames from my school anyway.  If they start showing up at Brooklyn parties...kill self.

2Lacoste

• View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: December 12, 2007, 09:25:26 AM »

Speaking of 75+ minutes...this morning I walked out the door of my apartment in Newark at 8:30 and when I got to my office door it was 9:50.  Not feelin it.

In theory, I could leave my place in Ridgewood at 8:30 and get to work at 9:25 or so.

Freak

• What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: December 12, 2007, 09:25:41 AM »
Damn, these last couple of pages make me appreciate being in Da Souf. In ATL an apartment downtown on Peachtree or even in Mid-town could run anywhere between $700 to $2000 if you REALLY tryin' to Ball outta control.

$4000/month???? The hell???? For an apartment!?!

I'll leave that to ya'll city-slickers.

titcr, but to each their own. (and I now understand that "their" is both plural and singular?) I'm happy w/my gig and it looks like the Nyers are too.