Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 171713 times)

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2006, 05:46:24 PM »
you will be stuck in Washington D.C.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2006, 05:48:06 PM »
for some people it is for some people it isn't...i just want to destroy the "24" myth that people seem to have...as a DoD lawyer he will be stationed in the DC metro area
...man, you was who you was before you got here

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2006, 05:51:09 PM »
Nothing meaningful to add...except to note that had this been XOXO...a rival thread named "Life As An A-hole" would have immediately sprung up...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2006, 05:51:36 PM »
No disrespect becasue I really appreciate that you read something rather than just presented what is essentially your opinion as fact...I have to disagree with this statement government jobs have in my experience which is going on 8 years The Most inclusive and tolerant environment you will find anywhere. Before anybody get on my nerves yes I am sure there is still discrimination somewhere by somebody but I have never had anywhere near the type of problems with race/diversity whatever as I have had in the private sector.

The problem with government jobs is who they attract:

1. People who are too stupid to be working in the private sector
2. Saints who want to make the world a better place
3. People who want to work less
4. People who want power

Most of the people you'll be dealing with fall squarely into catagory #1

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 19, 2006, 05:55:12 PM »
Don't forget the EEOC

Perhaps.  CIA sounds like fun, too (though it probably isn't nearly as sexy as it sounds).

I thought about CIA since they're always saying they need ppl with critical languages & area studies, but I read up on it and it seems the morale there is pretty bad in general and it's not very welcoming to women & minorities . . . but the travel would be a great perk.

BigLaw sounds awful . . . are these stories designed to weed out the timid or is it really as bad as everyone says?  How do you pay back law school debt without going biglaw?

No disrespect becasue I really appreciate that you read something rather than just presented what is essentially your opinion as fact...I have to disagree with this statement government jobs have in my experience which is going on 8 years The Most inclusive and tolerant environment you will find anywhere. Before anybody get on my nerves yes I am sure there is still discrimination somewhere by somebody but I have never had anywhere near the type of problems with race/diversity whatever as I have had in the private sector.

Government jobs are fine if you don't mind the corruption and inefficiency. It pays well and can be as rewarding as you make it.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 19, 2006, 05:55:33 PM »

4. People who want power

you are showing your ignorance

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2006, 06:30:04 PM »

4. People who want power

Especially if he's talking about federal government lawyer jobs.

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2006, 06:32:05 PM »
I mean fed jobs start at over 100k.

I don't know what fed jobs you're looking at...

jarhead

• Sr. Citizen
  • "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 19, 2006, 06:34:40 PM »
I mean fed jobs start at over 100k.

I don't know what fed jobs you're looking at...

dont get sucked in ...i almost did this guy is either a clown or flaming

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 19, 2006, 06:59:50 PM »

If you do manage to work in the private sector you'll hear quite a few comparisons of government lawyers to sporting maneuvers. The most common one I hear is from golf "I've got another fed to tee up tomorrow," but baseball (something to do with a homerun) and basketball (something slam-dunk) are pretty close seconds. Make a few friends of firm partners, and you’ll eventually hear something along these lines.

The basic equation is undeniable. A law firm has its pick of the best people. It will pay them highly and work them as long as it takes to reach the goals of their clients. Resources for law firms and their clients are virtually infinite, and competition is almost always intense.

Comparatively, the government gets less able people willing to work for fewer dollars who are often tasked with more than they can be expected to competently deal with. Their client doesn’t demand as much from them, and their limits on working hours are often much higher.