Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 169902 times)

huilian

• View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=huilian
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 12:37:36 PM »
Don't forget the EEOC

Perhaps.  CIA sounds like fun, too (though it probably isn't nearly as sexy as it sounds).

I thought about CIA since they're always saying they need ppl with critical languages & area studies, but I read up on it and it seems the morale there is pretty bad in general and it's not very welcoming to women & minorities . . . but the travel would be a great perk.

BigLaw sounds awful . . . are these stories designed to weed out the timid or is it really as bad as everyone says?  How do you pay back law school debt without going biglaw?

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2006, 12:45:20 PM »
Don't forget the EEOC

Perhaps.  CIA sounds like fun, too (though it probably isn't nearly as sexy as it sounds).

I thought about CIA since they're always saying they need ppl with critical languages & area studies, but I read up on it and it seems the morale there is pretty bad in general and it's not very welcoming to women & minorities . . . but the travel would be a great perk.

BigLaw sounds awful . . . are these stories designed to weed out the timid or is it really as bad as everyone says?  How do you pay back law school debt without going biglaw?

I can't say from experience, I've never worked biglaw. From what my classmates say, it depends on the firm, do your homework before applying. The problem is that biglaw is competitive and you might not have the option of picking firms.

LS debt is only about $120k which is only $1200/mth or $15k/yr, even small firms pay $50k/yr or so. You can have a house payment on top of that and still be fine. Further, loans are usually only 3% or so, thus it makes no sense to pay early. Private loans are more, but just knock them off first.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

mivida2k

• Sr. Citizen
  • Do I Really Need to Answer This Question
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2006, 01:14:59 PM »
The morale and environment will change once Dubya and his cowboy posse are gone.  Visit www.bushslastday.com/ if you feel discouraged.  That countdown clock cheers me up. 
The president's approval rating has dropped to 33 percent, matching his low in May. His handling of nearly every issue, from the Iraq war to foreign policy, contributed to the president's decline around the nation, even in the Republican-friendly South.

Kevin26.2

• Sr. Citizen
  • i love this movie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2006, 01:15:44 PM »
greawt post.
Iowa Law Class of '09

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
  • Johan Santana for President
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2006, 01:31:02 PM »
The morale and environment will change once Dubya and his cowboy posse are gone.  Visit www.bushslastday.com/ if you feel discouraged.  That countdown clock cheers me up. 

Stop attempting to hijack my thread with this mindless Bush bashing.  Goodness gracious!
Mets will take the NL Pennant.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2006, 02:05:38 PM »
Dont worry Lacoste the conservatives are going to bring order to this thread. Anyways how much better is life at the govt. I mean fed jobs start at over 100k. Why dont more people take them? I know you get 30 days paid vacatioon and federal holidays but I mean is quality of life really that mch better. What about the quality of work. I am really thinking about the DOJ.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2006, 02:07:41 PM »
Dont worry Lacoste the conservatives are going to bring order to this thread. Anyways how much better is life at the govt. I mean fed jobs start at over 100k. Why dont more people take them? I know you get 30 days paid vacatioon and federal holidays but I mean is quality of life really that mch better. What about the quality of work. I am really thinking about the DOJ.

Yep, same here.  If I don't do politics immediately look for me in the USAO, the DOJ, or the JAG Corps.  Probably no firm work here.

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
I'll never do politics. From what I've seen, and I've been security for Mrs. Cheney, politicians are more corrupt than lawyers.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

THE BLUE SWEATER

• Sr. Citizen
  • Home of the Blue Sweater
    • AOL Instant Messenger - kingofzamundaa
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2006, 02:17:42 PM »
WTF JAG!!?!?!?! Dont do it dude. You will be doing wills and proscecuting AWOLS for 25 years.
UVA Class of 2009

Find out just what people will submit to, and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them..  The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress.

-Fredrick Douglass

2Lacoste

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2006, 02:19:58 PM »
WTF JAG!!?!?!?! Dont do it dude. You will be doing wills and proscecuting AWOLS for 25 years.

The JAGs I know are former prosecutors at Gitmo.  Somebody has to get the cool jobs; why can't it be me?