Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 170892 times)

intent06

• Sr. Citizen
  • "All hail the Chief!"
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #80 on: January 10, 2007, 09:15:18 PM »
Well I am not gung-ho any one city, but I am definitely interested in Houston, DC, NYC, Chicago, and Minneapolis.  I have ties to all except Minneapolis.
Damn...it's the third year already!!

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 10, 2007, 09:16:49 PM »
Well I am not gung-ho any one city, but I am definitely interested in Houston, DC, NYC, Chicago, and Minneapolis.  I have ties to all except Minneapolis.

you'll probably need ties to minneapolis but not to the rest.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2007, 01:13:31 AM »
worked for a firm last summer, working for a firm this summer.  For a summer you can't complain too much--they wine and dine you and give you work on their most interesting cases.  That said the work is isolating, but the money and perks makes up for it.

That said, I wouldn't want to do this ish longterm for the world.  All the joys of the summer program are put to a halt once you've signed the papers.  They own you now and they know it. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 11, 2007, 10:19:44 AM »
worked for a firm last summer, working for a firm this summer.  For a summer you can't complain too much--they wine and dine you and give you work on their most interesting cases.  That said the work is isolating, but the money and perks makes up for it.

That said, I wouldn't want to do this ish longterm for the world.  All the joys of the summer program are put to a halt once you've signed the papers.  They own you now and they know it. 

this is basically correct. and it's also the reason why you should pay special attention to what you see during the summer, when they are trying to sweep all the mess under the rug. if you see things that make you uncomfortable, chances are it will be ten times worse when they aren't trying to hide it all from the recruits. don't get so caught up in the wining and dining that you aren't paying attention to the important stuff -- are associates complaining about having too much or not enough to do? did a partner say something inappropriate to you? do the secretaries seem happy? things like that will come to matter once you're hired. and it's your responsibility to pay attention. the summer program is not just for you to sell them on your skills, it's for you to learn what you're getting into and make the right decision.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 11, 2007, 12:44:48 PM »
Amen to what both of you said.  You can tell a lot about the real deal of a firm by talking to the secretaries.  Plus the younger associates will usually give you the real deal if you're cool with them.

I know this migth sound strange, but after reading this, and seeing it first hand at my firm (i work as a paralegal) - I still want it.

Like the article mentioned, I am one of those "first to go to college" kids.  In my family, Ive been the first for many things actually.  First gen American, first to grad college, and soon to be the first to attend law school.  After growing up in near poverty where a cold night and living pay check to pay check were the norm, Id be grateful to have one of those Bigfirm jobs.  I am a product of my past.  Im only one generation removed from living in a third worl-like country and 2 generations removed from a horrific civil war.  Getting paid 6 figs to do document review is fien by me.  Maybe my kids will feel differently, but Ill still be sure to make sure they knwo their roots and that their grandparents sacrificed their adult life to get their father into good schools and a better life. 

Sorry for the diatribe... :P

B - From one hustler to another, I feel what you're saying. From the outside looking in BigLaw seems to be the ultimate come up for somebody applying to law school, and $145k in New York, at first glance, seems like the lottery if you've never made that kind of money before.  However, its been said 1000 times but its worth repeating, there are far easier ways to make 6 figs if making 6 figs is your goal.  In other words, if you do go the BigLaw route strictly for the money then you are probably going to hate life and be counting down the days until you leave.  Many of the blue chip associates make about 25 to 35 bucks an hour when you break it down by the amount of time they put into it. Most plumbers make twice that and still go home at 3pm.  Not to discourage you, but just make sure you know what you're getting into, which it sounds like you do.

I think law firms have such a high turnover rate because it seems like both law students and pre-laws alike suffer from this dillusion that working at a law firm is going to be like working at Mickey D's or whatever limited work experience they have had thus far - which is then further exacerbated, as OSA pointed out, by the wining and dining that the law firms put out for the summer associates so that you leave thinking that sh!t is sweet. Then you come back as a full time associate and POW they smack the big d!ck on you.  That's when many cats start to hate their life and start looking for a new line of work with this law degree that they just dropped $100k on in loans.

Personally, I may be one of the few strange legal nerds who actually LIKES litigation and the law in general, so I'm sort of looking forward to this Biglaw experience, keeping in mind that this is only a stepping stone to help me get my own stuff going in the not-so-distant future.  As long as you know wsup from the gate you should be ok.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2007, 01:29:47 PM »
Amen to what both of you said.  You can tell a lot about the real deal of a firm by talking to the secretaries.  Plus the younger associates will usually give you the real deal if you're cool with them.

I know this migth sound strange, but after reading this, and seeing it first hand at my firm (i work as a paralegal) - I still want it.

Like the article mentioned, I am one of those "first to go to college" kids.  In my family, Ive been the first for many things actually.  First gen American, first to grad college, and soon to be the first to attend law school.  After growing up in near poverty where a cold night and living pay check to pay check were the norm, Id be grateful to have one of those Bigfirm jobs.  I am a product of my past.  Im only one generation removed from living in a third worl-like country and 2 generations removed from a horrific civil war.  Getting paid 6 figs to do document review is fien by me.  Maybe my kids will feel differently, but Ill still be sure to make sure they knwo their roots and that their grandparents sacrificed their adult life to get their father into good schools and a better life. 

Sorry for the diatribe... :P
  However, its been said 1000 times but its worth repeating, there are far easier ways to make 6 figs if making 6 figs is your goal. 

SERIOUSLY.

this is an often neglected fact. if you don't love the law, BIGLAW is NOT worth it. you will be working a lot. too much. more than a human being should. if you're the happy hour after work, football game on saturday and sunday kind of guy, you should expect to give those things up, at least for the first few years.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2007, 01:50:18 PM »

SERIOUSLY.

this is an often neglected fact. if you don't love the law, BIGLAW is NOT worth it. you will be working a lot. too much. more than a human being should. if you're the happy hour after work, football game on saturday and sunday kind of guy, you should expect to give those things up, at least for the first few years.

academia it is.

Also - what is Lodnon? Spelling mistake or attempt at being cute?
Look to the left -- Look to the right

ananse

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2007, 02:19:37 PM »

SERIOUSLY.

academia it is.

... or find a firm that doesn't think it owns your nights and weekends for 145K (or 300K)... they exist.

Statistic

• LSD Obsessed
  • I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2007, 02:33:19 PM »

SERIOUSLY.

academia it is.

... or find a firm that doesn't think it owns your nights and weekends for 145K (or 300K)... they exist.

I actually want to do academia.
Look to the left -- Look to the right

One Step Ahead

• LSD Obsessed
  • you say you want a revolution
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2007, 02:49:00 PM »

SERIOUSLY.

academia it is.

lmao.  this was funny.