Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 169228 times)

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1740 on: April 27, 2009, 08:10:48 PM »
This convo is still cracking me up. 

Alright, AgreetoDisagree, lemme offer a solution. I think you would find more quality black women if you join professional organizations and attend their events.  Your undergrad has an alumni association, they probably have chapters in every state.  Join it and go.  Not sure whether you are in law school yet, but join BLSA.  Join the National Bar Association- I just caught the tail end of one of their conferences fairly recently.  There were plenty of quality, nice, single, beautiful, professional black women there.  While I don't think you should hit on them at the actual event (I say that because I and some of my friends have been hit on at a networking event-  that just gets uncomfortable for most of us ladies), get the digits and pursue them later.  They get a lot of flack (both deserved and undeserved) but there are also dating organizations out there like the Harlem Club (http://www.harlemclub.com/) designed for professional black men.

But I find it interesting that you use stuff in the media as proof.  Ray J?  Chris Rock?  Those sources and that arena aren't the best source to use to strengthen your argument.
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1741 on: April 27, 2009, 09:12:51 PM »

I'm sorry sir, but most of the people in jail are criminals. I know you have your exceptions here and there, and that's well understood, but to assert that "most are good people" come on brotha. Simply because you live in an adverse environment does not mean that you're consigned to adopt that behavior. I'm not just talking about something I don't know about, I grew up in Los Angeles Calif. (South Central 28th & Western) gang infested (20's blood territory) drug infested (neighbors two doors down invariably outside slingin' crack) ghetto bird soaring.
Well I've never been incarcerated, I've never been in a gang, it's all about decisions. I mean Venus and Serena Williams hail from Compton Calif. Compton! It doesn't get any worse than Compton. In my opinion, sir, your above sentiment is an apology, an excuse for poor decision making that lands you in jail. Furthermore, if you're not condoning their actions, then what are you doing? However, you're entitled to your own opinion.

@"Most people in jail are criminals", most of these people in prison (more than 75%) are blacks while we only make up of about 14% of the population. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that most of these people are not in there just because they are bad people by nature, and that their environment has a lot to do with it. Unless you are asserting black people are more of a criminal by nature than other races, which obviously they are not. And I too am not speaking about something I have read about or heard about, I am speaking from personal experince as well. And just because I did not end up dead or in jail like most of the people I grew up with, does not mean I am a better person than them. It just means, like you, I had the opportunity and the will power to get to where I am.

@ "if you're not condoning their actions, then what are you doing?", I am saying there are a lot of factors involved that leads them to make such decisions and they are good people that fail to suprass their enviornment.What I do agree on is that perspectives like  yours are important as well because there needs to be accountablity in our community, people who made it out of such dire situations like you have will serve as a good examples. However thats is part of the bigger conversation, which is that the state of minorities (AA) need drastic changes. Your view is not the "whole" conversation as you advocate.

It seems like you make refrence to people who are the famous as if they are representative of the entire AA community. I meet good black women all the time, I do not know how you find it difficult to meet at least few. Maybe they just not feeling you!! (just playing lol)
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

TruOne

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm still standing. . .I'm still here!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1742 on: April 27, 2009, 09:40:19 PM »

I'm with you on this one. My prediction: finding a sensible (American) black woman is going to be one of the most arduous tasks of my life.
Every black man should watch the film, "Diary of a Tired Black Man."

Now I know that it's not my fault...it's not our fault.

I laughed at this quote. . .until I realized that you were serious.

:o :o

You obviously don't live around a large metro area (Charlotte, DC, ATL, LA, NYC, HOU) otherwise you wouldn't have typed those foolish words. If you can't find a "sensible" woman, then it is entirely your fault. You obviously aren't tryin' hard enough and instead of being online you need to get out in the REAL WORLD and get on ya grind.

Ignore all this Dr. Phil crap about Ray J and what is or isn't "Black womanhood". Log off on your computer, turn off the TV AND GO GET UP ON THESE . . .

Well, I ain't gonna finish the phrase, but I'm sure A LOT OF FELLAS already finished the sentence in their minds. 

Well sir, actually I grew up in Los Angeles Calif. Not too long after going to undergrad (HBCU in the mid-west) my mother sold her LA home, well where did she move? she moved to the ATL. In undergrad I studied abroad in West Africa for two months. I mean, I see your point, but sir, it does not apply to me. I've been out there....even out of this hemisphere. In furtherance, I don't think the task is impossible, I feel it's at the acme of difficult and complex. Lastly, I know you don't believe in watching TV, but go watch the film, individuals in virtually all the above cities you mentioned are interviewed. Lastly, in regard to getting up on these....... fill in the blank, I've never had a problem in the female dept. in all my days. But my discourse is in regard to finding a sista to marry, not just a tip drill or what have you, I've been there and I've done that. Cue this video to 4:38 and you will further understand what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_QGuL0yb0&feature=related

All the time you spent typing that could've been spent tryin' holla at some females.
Warning: Educated Black Man

University of Law '09

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1743 on: April 27, 2009, 11:02:31 PM »
This convo is still cracking me up. 

Alright, AgreetoDisagree, lemme offer a solution. I think you would find more quality black women if you join professional organizations and attend their events.  Your undergrad has an alumni association, they probably have chapters in every state.  Join it and go.  Not sure whether you are in law school yet, but join BLSA.  Join the National Bar Association- I just caught the tail end of one of their conferences fairly recently.  There were plenty of quality, nice, single, beautiful, professional black women there.  While I don't think you should hit on them at the actual event (I say that because I and some of my friends have been hit on at a networking event-  that just gets uncomfortable for most of us ladies), get the digits and pursue them later.  They get a lot of flack (both deserved and undeserved) but there are also dating organizations out there like the Harlem Club (http://www.harlemclub.com/) designed for professional black men.

But I find it interesting that you use stuff in the media as proof.  Ray J?  Chris Rock?  Those sources and that arena aren't the best source to use to strengthen your argument.

I never asserted that Ray J and what Cris Rock says/ does is the gospel, or written in golden tablets, but these are figures that we all have access to. And no, they are not the best sources to strengthen my argument,however, any source is controvertible, depending upon whom you ask.

In regard to clubs, etc., thanks for the advice (not that I need it) but thanks I will consider your suggestions. I simply would appreciate a black woman whose mentality was off the beaten path of most black women if you catch my drift.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1744 on: April 27, 2009, 11:08:12 PM »

I'm with you on this one. My prediction: finding a sensible (American) black woman is going to be one of the most arduous tasks of my life.
Every black man should watch the film, "Diary of a Tired Black Man."

Now I know that it's not my fault...it's not our fault.

I laughed at this quote. . .until I realized that you were serious.

:o :o

You obviously don't live around a large metro area (Charlotte, DC, ATL, LA, NYC, HOU) otherwise you wouldn't have typed those foolish words. If you can't find a "sensible" woman, then it is entirely your fault. You obviously aren't tryin' hard enough and instead of being online you need to get out in the REAL WORLD and get on ya grind.

Ignore all this Dr. Phil crap about Ray J and what is or isn't "Black womanhood". Log off on your computer, turn off the TV AND GO GET UP ON THESE . . .

Well, I ain't gonna finish the phrase, but I'm sure A LOT OF FELLAS already finished the sentence in their minds. 

Well sir, actually I grew up in Los Angeles Calif. Not too long after going to undergrad (HBCU in the mid-west) my mother sold her LA home, well where did she move? she moved to the ATL. In undergrad I studied abroad in West Africa for two months. I mean, I see your point, but sir, it does not apply to me. I've been out there....even out of this hemisphere. In furtherance, I don't think the task is impossible, I feel it's at the acme of difficult and complex. Lastly, I know you don't believe in watching TV, but go watch the film, individuals in virtually all the above cities you mentioned are interviewed. Lastly, in regard to getting up on these....... fill in the blank, I've never had a problem in the female dept. in all my days. But my discourse is in regard to finding a sista to marry, not just a tip drill or what have you, I've been there and I've done that. Cue this video to 4:38 and you will further understand what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ln_QGuL0yb0&feature=related

All the time you spent typing that could've been spent tryin' holla at some females.

Ha.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1745 on: April 27, 2009, 11:17:05 PM »

I'm sorry sir, but most of the people in jail are criminals. I know you have your exceptions here and there, and that's well understood, but to assert that "most are good people" come on brotha. Simply because you live in an adverse environment does not mean that you're consigned to adopt that behavior. I'm not just talking about something I don't know about, I grew up in Los Angeles Calif. (South Central 28th & Western) gang infested (20's blood territory) drug infested (neighbors two doors down invariably outside slingin' crack) ghetto bird soaring.
Well I've never been incarcerated, I've never been in a gang, it's all about decisions. I mean Venus and Serena Williams hail from Compton Calif. Compton! It doesn't get any worse than Compton. In my opinion, sir, your above sentiment is an apology, an excuse for poor decision making that lands you in jail. Furthermore, if you're not condoning their actions, then what are you doing? However, you're entitled to your own opinion.

@"Most people in jail are criminals", most of these people in prison (more than 75%) are blacks while we only make up of about 14% of the population. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure out that most of these people are not in there just because they are bad people by nature, and that their environment has a lot to do with it. Unless you are asserting black people are more of a criminal by nature than other races, which obviously they are not. And I too am not speaking about something I have read about or heard about, I am speaking from personal experince as well. And just because I did not end up dead or in jail like most of the people I grew up with, does not mean I am a better person than them. It just means, like you, I had the opportunity and the will power to get to where I am.

@ "if you're not condoning their actions, then what are you doing?", I am saying there are a lot of factors involved that leads them to make such decisions and they are good people that fail to suprass their enviornment.What I do agree on is that perspectives like  yours are important as well because there needs to be accountablity in our community, people who made it out of such dire situations like you have will serve as a good examples. However thats is part of the bigger conversation, which is that the state of minorities (AA) need drastic changes. Your view is not the "whole" conversation as you advocate.

It seems like you make refrence to people who are the famous as if they are representative of the entire AA community. I meet good black women all the time, I do not know how you find it difficult to meet at least few. Maybe they just not feeling you!! (just playing lol)

51% qualifies as most. Most of these n*ggaz are guilty, some aren't, but most...

How would you know if a woman is "good" upon meeting her. To find out if a women is good will take a bit more time than the introduction. It may take an ample amount of time to break down the facade and see past the charade.

Again, I've never had a problem in the female dept. in my life, but this could be the case.

Obama2

• Sr. Citizen
  • BY ANY MEANS NECESSARY, Detriot red cleaned up!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1746 on: April 28, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
well you just get to know them as friends or maybe go on a date or something. But you right some of them are real good into playing games and hide the devil in them lol. But I guess thats just life. You win some you lose some!!
Feeling like Detriot Red cleaned up!!

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1747 on: April 28, 2009, 03:51:20 PM »
well you just get to know them as friends or maybe go on a date or something. But you right some of them are real good into playing games and hide the devil in them lol. But I guess thats just life. You win some you lose some!!

Thank you! These females out here...boi..That's why I say it will be one of the most complex/difficult things to accomplish (finding a good one). In regard to the rest of em'..It's like, you gotta play them before they play you.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1748 on: April 28, 2009, 05:52:32 PM »
 :-\

LOL, what kind of females have ya'll been dating?!
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1749 on: April 28, 2009, 08:20:49 PM »

51% qualifies as most. Most of these n*ggaz are guilty, some aren't, but most...

See The Baldus Study.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston