Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 172361 times)

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #1720 on: April 16, 2009, 05:30:34 PM »
I'm with you on this one. My prediction: finding a sensible (American) black woman is going to be one of the most arduous tasks of my life.
Every black man should watch the film, "Diary of a Tired Black Man."

Now I know that it's not my fault...it's not our fault.
Is settling down with a black woman a mission of yours?

Yes I would love to settle down with a black woman. I just need to find one who isn't suffering from ABS (Angry Black Woman Syndrome) or any other issues that I didn't cause.
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1721 on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:54 PM »

@ Agree to Disagree : lol are u just trying to start something with ladies? saw the movie. Boo. And its not that hard to find good American black women (nor men for that matter).

Not trying to start anything at all, I simply weighed in on Sands' paradoxical experience in the jailhouse visiting room. He was perplexed at the sight of so many beautiful sistas waiting on thug thizzles. Well, there is a vignette in the film detailing Sands' exact experience (sistas forgoing intelligent, genteel brothas for thug thizzles). I guess you concede that it's hard to find a good black woman but not that hard. Incidentally I'm not your boo, your honey, or any other silly term y'all use to subtly convey condescension.

The "boo" in my post was in reference to the movie you cited (to Sands' observation made a YEAR ago), not to you. I saw it and I didn't think it illustrated what it was trying to illustrate in an intellectual manner.

Anyway, you say you don't want an angry black woman but your post clearly indicates that you have some hostilities / hang ups yourself.  :-\

To clarify I mention Sands' post being a year old ( more accurately, just shy of a year) because it seems like either you were hunting for this post to justify your opinion or you came across it and just  had a burning need to comment on it.  Either way, it seems odd. Your immediate jump to assume that I was putting you down by using the word "boo" was also very telling.  Even if I was referring to you, sometimes people just speak like that. No condescension would necessarily be intended.  But in this case you took it out of context.  People on this board will tell you that if I don't like something, like that movie, instead of getting into a long explanation of why I don't like it, I will "boo" it to voice my displeasure and keep it moving. 

I never conceded anything.  I think that's also an issue with you-  you strike me as someone who sees what you want to see/ hear what you want to hear, which may account for some of your apparent problems with black women. I said it was not that hard to find a good black woman meaning it's not that hard to find a good black woman.  I didn't say "it's hard but not that hard."  IMHO, it's just not difficult whatsoever or at least it shouldn't be.  I don't mean to negate your apparent difficulty in doing so. 

And the use of the word "ya'll" is also very telling-  just like men, women typically do not like to lumped into a category.  I'd advise you against doing so with women, generally speaking.  Again, that may be another reason for your difficulty in finding a good black woman.     

And although I sort of feel like I'm fanning the FLAME, as someone who prides herself on being a "good non-angry black woman not interested in foregoing good black men to opt for the 'thug thizzles'" and since you put this out there, I felt the need to tell you all this out of sisterly "love".  None of this is meant to put you down in any way, shape, or form.     :)     
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1722 on: April 17, 2009, 05:11:59 AM »
Ok thanks for the clarification, I assumed you were referring to me as boo (many black women have felt a necessity to use that term with me, even supervisors). I had no idea something or someone was getting booed; from my vantage point, you know it was fair to make my assumption.
I don't have any ill will toward black women, I actually love my sistas, and if you pride yourself on being a "non-angry" black women, then my position does have validity. If this is the case, you deserve a commendation and I wish there were more black women like you to go around (you're probley in the 80th percentile).
I saw the movie also, and from empirical experiences from birth to the present, that film is an accurate depiction of the ignorant olympics many black women insist on competing, and could help explain the jailhouse paradox, even if it was a year ago (a year is not a long period of time at all).
"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1723 on: April 17, 2009, 09:53:34 AM »
Sure, your assumption that I was calling you "boo" was a reasonable one. Your reaction wasn't. Again, I wasn't referring to you but the point is so what if I was?! When those women call you those pet names, it isn't  necessarily meant to convey condescension. Bad example but my grandmother called everyone sugar because she was bad with names. Southern sisters tend to also use these terms of endearment just as a way of life.

The movie, I felt, wasn't helpful and exaggerated the issues of a small number of the black population and was therefore reckless and irresponsible.

When I hear my black sisters say "there are no good black men out there", it's destructive and clearly reflects their own issues. They must be doing something wrong.

You missed my point about Sands ' post being a year old. That post was back several pages. The current convo was about the economy - how it has impacted attorneys, law students, etc. So either you were deliberately looking back through to find that specific post as back up for what you wanted to say or you had been reading this thread from the beginning (or at least a few pages back) and that post resonated with you because of your experiences. Either way that reflects your hangups/issues just as it does when ladies make the incorrect crazy statement that there are "no good black men out there".   
I refuse to accept the view that mankind is so tragically bound to the starless midnight of racism and war that the bright daybreak of peace and brotherhood can never become a reality...  I believe that unarmed truth and unconditional love will have the final word - -Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1724 on: April 17, 2009, 03:48:15 PM »
Brotha's, watch the movie (Diary of a Tired Black Man) and find out for yourself if it is superfluous.
Again, I love my sistas....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7LjYEYs09o

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1725 on: April 18, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »
:-\

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1726 on: April 18, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »
(You're fine as wine)..Ok you win the argument...whatever you say.

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1727 on: April 18, 2009, 06:07:38 PM »
Me? Lol. Thanks.

Don't give up that easily. ;-) j/k. But you know I'm right

cui bono?

• Sr. Citizen
  • blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #1728 on: April 18, 2009, 06:11:16 PM »
But I guess we have hijacked this thread long enough.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1729 on: April 18, 2009, 06:22:36 PM »
But I guess we have hijacked this thread long enough.

(silk as milk).....We yea...I like that pronoun.

Now I understand why rams in the wild butt heads.