Law School Discussion

Life As An Associate

A.

• View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #170 on: January 30, 2007, 12:05:08 PM »
Yeah, XO is dominated by the classes of 2005-08.  It's supremely more informative than LSD for people already in law school.  I stick around here mainly for BLSD and to troll for YLS every now and then (increasingly less of the latter, since I increasingly have better/more pressing things to do than talk to neurotic pre-Ls...no offense ;)).

« Reply #171 on: January 30, 2007, 12:24:35 PM »
No LSD v. xoxo judgements implied, I actually just meant no need to scroll through for the data . . . being highly dispersed as it is.

Haven't you noticed my retentive need for data organization yet, MCB? ;)

lol yea i've noticed  ;)

« Reply #172 on: January 30, 2007, 12:39:31 PM »
No LSD v. xoxo judgements implied, I actually just meant no need to scroll through for the data . . . being highly dispersed as it is.

Haven't you noticed my retentive need for data organization yet, MCB? ;)

lol yea i've noticed  ;)

Whatever, I'll be a rocking study group buddy.

since you are summer start, you have to help me if/when i come in the fall--iwill expect you to know your ish cold  :D :D

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 30, 2007, 01:03:49 PM »
You won't really know until summer before 2L.  That's when the law firm craziness begins.

pikey

• Did ya do it? Then why are ya sorry?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 30, 2007, 01:10:25 PM »
You won't really know until summer before 2L.  That's when the law firm craziness begins.

That's good to know. As long as I'm not already supposed to be able to make something of all this!

xoxo is making me doubt my "go where you'll be happy" approach a little, but that's kind of what I would expect.

That's how I feel as well.  Maybe its just my natural arrogance that says that I'll do fine wherever I go, but I'm really not caught up in going to the highest school I get into, regardless of any other decision factors.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 30, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »

That's good to know. As long as I'm not already supposed to be able to make something of all this!

xoxo is making me doubt my "go where you'll be happy" approach a little, but that's kind of what I would expect.

Lol.  This isn't undergrad.  You go to law school to get a job.  Go to the place that will allow you most easily to get the job you want or might want.  Now, if all else is equal, sure, go to the place where you'll be "happier."  And to the extent that being "happy" will make you get better grades, then also take that into consideration, but don't overvalue it.

With that, I digress.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2007, 01:16:18 PM »

That's how I feel as well.  Maybe its just my natural arrogance that says that I'll do fine wherever I go, but I'm really not caught up in going to the highest school I get into, regardless of any other decision factors.

A wise philosophy.

So you can just follow that handy link! 

(See, MCB? :P)

Thanks for the link.  XOXO scares me.   :P

Exactly!  I didn't know sh!t from shinola when it came to law firms all up until about that summer right before 2L started.  During 1L you're just trying to survive, so knowing who the heck Name Name & Name LLP is doesn't really matter.  Rest assured, you will know all of them inside & out come fall OCI.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 30, 2007, 02:36:15 PM »
So you can just follow that handy link! 

(See, MCB? :P)

Thanks for the link.  XOXO scares me.   :P

No one likes your sass. :P

???

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 30, 2007, 03:42:05 PM »

Lol.  This isn't undergrad.  You go to law school to get a job.  Go to the place that will allow you most easily to get the job you want or might want.  Now, if all else is equal, sure, go to the place where you'll be "happier."  And to the extent that being "happy" will make you get better grades, then also take that into consideration, but don't overvalue it.

With that, I digress.

Indeed. Also, don't go by those 3 years of 'happiness' and completely forget about the rest of your life of 'happiness.' Your will be much 'happier' if you can open doors for the next 40 years of your life that would be closed otherwise.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 30, 2007, 04:01:14 PM »
question what happens to all those top ranked law school associates that go to the highest ranked school so that the 1st year out of law school whole bunch of doors are open to them but in 5 years of slaving in big law dont make partner...are they as well off as the person who went to the school where they felt comfortable and are in a good position at their small to midsize law firm perhaps well on their way to partner?