Law School Discussion

Life As An Associate

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #160 on: January 14, 2007, 07:46:26 AM »
I bet Boalt is more laid-back than Yale tho - people here gun for Hs ::)

we have a segment of the population that guns for the H's too, but i would say that comparably speaking, they are probably less annoying than the grade gunners at most other schools. yale and boalt though, in terms of competitiveness, are probably close to the same.

I have no way of knowing, but if you're right, I know I couldn't deal with another school. My arse woulda dropped out!

i had a good friend who went to yale and i talked to her about it some, so that's sort of where i get my info. though you're right; i don't have first hand experience.  either way, i feel you! i couldn't go anywhere that requires you to sabotage your classmates on a daily basis. sound like  a bad learning environment to me.

shaz

• University of Toledo Class of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 15, 2007, 11:25:41 PM »
I'd never work big law, I have always intended on working for a small firm (less than 10 attys) for 3-5 yrs and then throw out my own shingle (though if I enjoy where I work, I'll stay).

Going into my 3L, I'm on track. I've been a summer associate 2x now and before ls I worked for 2 different small firms, one in hs. Plus, my aunt runs a solo practice and has helped me a ton.

Forget big law, my free time is worth way more than $100/hr.

i'm jealous.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 16, 2007, 06:45:20 PM »
I can't knock the solo practice route. That takes jueves grandes.  And the small firm route after law school is also a good look if you can get in with the right crowd.  However as a broke law student I'm really starting to appreciate how Biglaw is paying for all our bar prep courses, the bar itself, and kickin down some loot while we study for the bar this summer.  Honestly, I would have been in a very tight spot considering my piss pour credit literally has not changed since I got here 3 years ago, making me ineligible for a bar loan like most cats.  So for as much sh!t as I talk on Biglaw, I do have to admit that they take care of their own when it comes to getting you ready for the financial burden of the bar.  Small firms simply do not cover these costs.

« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2007, 08:06:41 PM »
I didn't read all of the replies, but being an associate is nowhere near as bad as that article makes it out to be. 

I'm not saying that everyone should work at a bigfirm, and I don't think I'll stay at my firm for more than a few years, but it's not the living hell that is described on these message boards.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 29, 2007, 11:50:01 PM »
Not sure if I should put this in the "where should I apply thread" for you school rankings Jedi, but at any rate, figured you guys might find this interesting.  They just shot an e-mail out to the entering class at my firm talkin all that ra ra ra, and for the first time they included everybody's addresses on the e-mail, so you can actually see where everybody is coming from.  So the break down is as follows:

18 - Harvard
8 - Columbia
8 - NYU
4 - Penn
3 - Chicago
2 - Cardozo
2 - Texas
1 - Brooklyn
1 - Fordham
1 - GW
1 - Michigan
1 - Rutgers
1 - Yale

Just thought it was an interesting to see an actual demographic of a Biglaw firm.

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #165 on: January 30, 2007, 06:09:30 AM »
Not sure if I should put this in the "where should I apply thread" for you school rankings Jedi, but at any rate, figured you guys might find this interesting.  They just shot an e-mail out to the entering class at my firm talkin all that ra ra ra, and for the first time they included everybody's addresses on the e-mail, so you can actually see where everybody is coming from.  So the break down is as follows:

18 - Harvard
8 - Columbia
8 - NYU
4 - Penn
3 - Chicago
2 - Cardozo
2 - Texas
1 - Brooklyn
1 - Fordham
1 - GW
1 - Michigan
1 - Rutgers
1 - Yale

Just thought it was an interesting to see an actual demographic of a Biglaw firm.

Nice dood.  This might interest you: http://www.xoxohth.com/thread.php?thread_id=557515&mc=144&forum_id=2

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 30, 2007, 09:16:15 AM »
Interesting.  Very interesting.

I like how somebody jumped in there with the "Race?" question.  Ahhh, XOXO...some things never change. :D

EDIT:  I know somebody from my school who is going to Thacher Proffit & Wood but they don't have a Rutgers tick mark on the XOXO site here.  Oh well. :P

« Reply #167 on: January 30, 2007, 11:53:49 AM »
I just thought this link might be good to have somewhere on LSD:

http://lawfirmaddict2007.blogspot.com/

Now there's no need to scroll through xoxo.

Yea there's a new, xo is funny as hell  :D :D

A.

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 30, 2007, 11:55:53 AM »

I personally prefer XO, but to each his own :P

« Reply #169 on: January 30, 2007, 12:00:21 PM »

I personally prefer XO, but to each his own :P

I wouldn't say that I prefer xoxo (i like both the same) but xoxo is definitely more informative with the stats and stuff they give out (and it seems that more law students post thann on lsd, besides from blsd).