Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 170675 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #150 on: January 12, 2007, 07:34:09 PM »
LOL!!!  Girl you got cats making that move to boalt by the masses! :D

Law school with no studying?  What?? Where do I sign? ;D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 12, 2007, 08:23:11 PM »
LOL!!!  Girl you got cats making that move to boalt by the masses! :D

Law school with no studying?  What?? Where do I sign? ;D
that's my job as the oldest resident boalt troll. ;)
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Einstein

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 12, 2007, 08:34:13 PM »
Everything you say is true, but that's not what I meant. I'm saying for those that make it directly to biglaw, it is the quickest and most stable. You can go to Wharton, get an MBA, but there is still no obvious route like biglaw.

My assumption presupposes that we're talking about people who are able to go directly to biglaw, just as it presupposes we're talking about the best of the MBA's, MD's, whatever. Sorry that I didn't clarify.

The expenses, yeah. They suck. But no matter what, one thing is for sure: I'll make more money as a lawyer than I ever could have as an engineer. The ceiling for even the best EE's is about what a fifth-year associate in biglaw makes. (Again, I'm assuming that I'll make it to biglaw).

As an engineer myself, please allow me to say "you damn right!"

I remember they showed us what the regional Vice Presidents made in our firm during our orientation. There are 42 of them in the whole engineering firm of about 5,000 employees nationwide.  They were each making about $110k/yr.  It took them about 25 years to get there. 

I remember thinking to myself "shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit, damn that. Ya'll some suckas! Straight up. Do you get a free pocket protector with that?"

This is the realest sh*t i've ever heard.. Preach!  :o

I've thought the same thing before.. what a bunch of idiots.. working so hard for so little..
I billed 2150 hours at an engineering firm last year.. Toiling my life away, trying to figure out how I will be able to afford the newest mechanical/electrical error on my used BMW.  LOL!  Can't wait for law school.. bring it.
Practice LSAT: 147(d), 150, 151,143,152, 156,161,163,161,160,157,163,158,162

University of San Diego School of Law!

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 12, 2007, 09:34:19 PM »

Whatchu mean you ain't never studied that much?  I know they ain't have no grades over there but what exactly did they have ya'll doing?

not sh*t.

Damn, maybe I should change my top choice...

Do it! I'm going to have to ramp up the Boalt trolling around here....

So, is it Pass/Fail all the way through, or is it like Yale (HH/H/P/F)?

Yale's system is H/P/LP (though, for all intents and purposes, H/P) after first semester (which is CR/NC)

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #154 on: January 12, 2007, 09:41:51 PM »

Whatchu mean you ain't never studied that much?  I know they ain't have no grades over there but what exactly did they have ya'll doing?

not sh*t.

Damn, maybe I should change my top choice...

Do it! I'm going to have to ramp up the Boalt trolling around here....

So, is it Pass/Fail all the way through, or is it like Yale (HH/H/P/F)?

Yale's system is H/P/LP (though, for all intents and purposes, H/P) after first semester (which is CR/NC)

LP? Low Pass? So... no one fails?
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

A.

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 12, 2007, 09:46:53 PM »
Considering how many people get LPs, that is failing.  But I just checked the bulletin, and apparently there is a grade of "F."  Never, ever heard of someone getting one, though.

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 12, 2007, 10:05:37 PM »
I bet Boalt is more laid-back than Yale tho - people here gun for Hs ::)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2007, 09:39:45 AM »

we have a segment of the population that guns for the H's too, but i would say that comparably speaking, they are probably less annoying than the grade gunners at most other schools. yale and boalt though, in terms of competitiveness, are probably close to the same.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 13, 2007, 05:57:42 PM »
u friggin no grade having people make me sick.   ;D
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Rudy Huckleberry

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2007, 12:35:10 AM »

we have a segment of the population that guns for the H's too, but i would say that comparably speaking, they are probably less annoying than the grade gunners at most other schools. yale and boalt though, in terms of competitiveness, are probably close to the same.

I have no way of knowing, but if you're right, I know I couldn't deal with another school. My arse woulda dropped out!