Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 170208 times)

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2007, 06:38:44 PM »
Architectural Engineer, licensed in KS & MO.

Univ. of Kansas undergrad. (Go Jayhawks!!!)

Now I'm a lowly 3L over here at Rutgers - Newark.

shush! you ain't lowly! >:(

I will be when that Bar gets a hold of me.  You too.
@#!* THAT!  i am passing. i have to. no 250k/year for me if i don't.

Oh I have no doubt that we're going to pass. I'm just talking about the process of 2 months of straight of studying 7 days a week leading up to the bar.  That's going to suck I think....ummm....yeah, that's going to suck.

i don't know HOW to study that much.  i never have. i guess your advantage is that you went to a school that actually required you to study!
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2007, 06:42:29 PM »

The ceiling for even the best EE's is about what a fifth-year associate in biglaw makes. (Again, I'm assuming that I'll make it to biglaw).

how much does a 5th year associate in biglaw make?

Using Skadden for an example, $200k w/out bonus.

EDIT: LIke k-sush... err, London Bound, said, this is probably dated. But this is about what I was thinking for ceiling.
[/quote]

Bruh what EE have you ever heard of that makes anything close to $200k per year??  Chem E's and Computer E's are still the highest paid engineers coming straight out of undergrad and they're not making half that.  I know you were talking about ceilings but I ain't even heard of a ceiling anywhere near that high for engineers.  Ceiling for Civ E's and Arch E's is about $120k/yr, and that's after about 20 to 30 years.  Engineering is one of those majors where you beat all of your college buddies coming right out of the gate because we tend to start higher than most other bachelor's degrees, but the pay goes up VERY slowly.  Like 1 to 2% pay increases every year type slow.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2007, 06:49:16 PM »

Oh I have no doubt that we're going to pass. I'm just talking about the process of 2 months of straight of studying 7 days a week leading up to the bar.  That's going to suck I think....ummm....yeah, that's going to suck.

i don't know HOW to study that much.  i never have. i guess your advantage is that you went to a school that actually required you to study!

Whatchu mean you ain't never studied that much?  I know they ain't have no grades over there but what exactly did they have ya'll doing?
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2007, 06:52:48 PM »

Whatchu mean you ain't never studied that much?  I know they ain't have no grades over there but what exactly did they have ya'll doing?

not *&^%.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2007, 06:56:47 PM »
musta been a nice 3 years  :)
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2007, 07:04:15 PM »

The ceiling for even the best EE's is about what a fifth-year associate in biglaw makes. (Again, I'm assuming that I'll make it to biglaw).

[/quote]

The usual standard across the board for biglaw in NYC:

1st year $145,000     
2nd year $155,000     
3rd year $170,000     
4th year $190,000     
5th year $210,000     
6th year $225,000     
7th year $240,000     
8th year $255,000
Charles H. Houston

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2007, 07:04:57 PM »

Using Skadden for an example, $200k w/out bonus.

EDIT: LIke k-sush... err, London Bound, said, this is probably dated. But this is about what I was thinking for ceiling.

Bruh what EE have you ever heard of that makes anything close to $200k per year??  Chem E's and Computer E's are still the highest paid engineers coming straight out of undergrad and they're not making half that.  I know you were talking about ceilings but I ain't even heard of a ceiling anywhere near that high for engineers.  Ceiling for Civ E's and Arch E's is about $120k/yr, and that's after about 20 to 30 years.  Engineering is one of those majors where you beat all of your college buddies coming right out of the gate because we tend to start higher than most other bachelor's degrees, but the pay goes up VERY slowly.  Like 1 to 2% pay increases every year type slow.

Seriously? I know EE's who make about this, actually. Professors at the best schools make this. Some of my professors make $125k. Then again, the EE's I know in the field who make this are in solid state, and they all have at least Master's. Very true about the slow increases in most cases.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2007, 07:06:48 PM »

not *&^%.

Damn, maybe I should change my top choice...
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #148 on: January 12, 2007, 07:18:37 PM »

not sh*t.

Do it! I'm going to have to ramp up the Boalt trolling around here....

So, is it Pass/Fail all the way through, or is it like Yale (HH/H/P/F)?

LSN</

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 12, 2007, 07:33:31 PM »

not sh*t.

Do it! I'm going to have to ramp up the Boalt trolling around here....

So, is it Pass/Fail all the way through, or is it like Yale (HH/H/P/F)?

it's the latter.