Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Life As An Associate  (Read 166964 times)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
    • Black Law Students Association
Re: Life As An Associate
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2007, 06:05:07 PM »
Architectural Engineer, licensed in KS & MO.

Univ. of Kansas undergrad. (Go Jayhawks!!!)

Now I'm a lowly 3L over here at Rutgers - Newark.

Interesting. Are you planning on going into IP law? BTW, how do you like Rutgers?

Not if I can help it.  The beauty of the firm that I'm heading to is that I don't have to declare a particular practice group for the first 3 years.  I plan to pretty much just sample from the various litigation departments they have there  I might end up doing some IP stuff but probably the soft IP. Trying to stay away from patents (mad boring).

Rutgers is peace.  I love it here. My classmates are my family, we do everything together.  I had a birthday a few months ago and they all got together and threw me a party. It has been a blessing to be in this type of environment during this 3 year hazing process.

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2007, 06:24:10 PM »

shush! you ain't lowly! >:(

I will be when that Bar gets a hold of me.  You too.
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2007, 06:25:37 PM »

Charles H. Houston

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2007, 06:26:04 PM »

Interesting. Are you planning on going into IP law? BTW, how do you like Rutgers?

Not if I can help it.  The beauty of the firm that I'm heading to is that I don't have to declare a particular practice group for the first 3 years.  I plan to pretty much just sample from the various litigation departments they have there  I might end up doing some IP stuff but probably the soft IP. Trying to stay away from patents (mad boring).

Rutgers is peace.  I love it here. My classmates are my family, we do everything together.  I had a birthday a few months ago and they all got together and threw me a party. It has been a blessing to be in this type of environment during this 3 year hazing process.

Letting you sample sounds sweet. Glad to hear that the environment is good at Rutgers. You sound like a laid back guy, I hope there are some people like you in my class.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

LittleRussianPrincess, Esq.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hopelessly devoted...to the Tennessee Vols!
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2007, 06:26:21 PM »

@#!* THAT!  i am passing. i have to. no 250k/year for me if i don't.
Russian by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2007, 06:28:22 PM »
speaking of the bar, i don't know what to do. i don't really want to pay to live in new york while i am taking barbri, but i can't get a course here in tampa. there's a tentative one in atl that i might take. do you think there's any advantage whatsoever in studying for it in nyc?

teamcanada

• View Profile
    • Stats
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »

The ceiling for even the best EE's is about what a fifth-year associate in biglaw makes. (Again, I'm assuming that I'll make it to biglaw).
[/quote]

how much does a 5th year associate in biglaw make?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2007, 06:34:36 PM »

The ceiling for even the best EE's is about what a fifth-year associate in biglaw makes. (Again, I'm assuming that I'll make it to biglaw).

[/quote]
it REALLY depends on the firm. the base salaries as well as the bonus structures are very divergent this far along the path to partnership. some firms have completely discretionary bonuses, some have bonuses based solely on the number of hours billed, but i think most are some combination of the two. this information is available on some websites (greedy associates, maybe?) but it tends to be relatively dated.

EEtoJD

• Sr. Citizen
  • Football!!!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2007, 06:35:32 PM »

[/quote]

Using Skadden for an example, $200k w/out bonus.

EDIT: LIke k-sush... err, London Bound, said, this is probably dated. But this is about what I was thinking for ceiling.
I can't believe these obnoxious Michigan students, who use the board not to share information, but to socialize (as pathetic as that is)

LSN</

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2007, 06:37:03 PM »

@#!* THAT!  i am passing. i have to. no 250k/year for me if i don't.

Oh I have no doubt that we're going to pass. I'm just talking about the process of 2 months of straight of studying 7 days a week leading up to the bar.  That's going to suck I think....ummm....yeah, that's going to suck.
Charles H. Houston