Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone backpack in Mexico, Central, or S. America?  (Read 559 times)

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Anyone backpack in Mexico, Central, or S. America?
« on: July 19, 2006, 12:39:01 AM »
I'm looking for a last minute adventure before law school starts.  Anyone have any advice regarding countries to visit?  I've been thinking about going to Mexico, Costa Rica, Panama, Ecuador, or Peru.

I only have two weeks and would prefer to spend less than $700 (not including airfare, of course).  Some of my friends warned against going alone, is this a bad idea?

Thanks in advance!

revelareveritas

• Sr. Citizen
  • Something strange is afoot at the Circle K...
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone backpack in Mexico, Central, or S. America?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2006, 12:43:16 AM »
Bad idea... Ever heard of drug lords and Venezuela? Try a state u haven't been too... At least u'll be alive to start law school... I'm going to Montana for a week with my best friend...
"It's not whether Iran likes carrots," he said. "Iran likes carrots. Iran demands carrots! If there is to be a solution in Iran, carrots must be part of the solution! We don't expect others to cook carrots for us then present them and then tell us, 'Eat them or else.' We can cook our own carrots!"

BrerAnansi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2006, 12:51:12 AM »
Yup...and except for the teachers and homework assignments it would have been great...I'd go for Peru or Costa Rica...and you should go with someone else unless you're fluent in the language...otherwise it'll be very confusing...
Grrr...

Quote from: 1LCorvo
If there aren't any arguments against my claims, then I'll depart gracefully. Feel free to continue the concordant attack on my character, it's funny.

Quote from: Saxibbles
Hugs,
Look to the f-ing left.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2006, 12:04:40 PM »
I've traveled...some on my own (and I'm a chick), in peru, bolivia, costa rica, chile, argentina... I had to be extra careful in some places, but in general CR is very easy (and I've been 4 times I think, it's my favorite place in the world...so far). PM me if you have any specific questions about any locale, I'm happy to help a fellow traveler!
UVA '09

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2006, 01:31:35 PM »
I once had a professor whose first job was diplomat to a Latin American country. Needless to say, after hearing what he had to say, I won't be vacationing there anytime soon.

LawSchool2009

• AOL Instant Messenger - BruinBlues
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2006, 04:01:08 PM »
PERU!!!!

Just came back from a 3 week stay over there and its great!!!
There are many more tourists than what I expected!!!!

Beautiful, safe (well don't wear outfits that scream tourist)... its gorgeous... you will love it!!!
Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lawschool09

The Name's Dali

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 11:44:35 PM »
PERU!!!!

Beautiful, safe (well don't wear outfits that scream tourist)... its gorgeous... you will love it!!!

Sounds great!  Did you have to worry about yellow or dengage(sp) fever or cholera? 

Also, do you think I'll be able to meet ppl in hostels easily, since I'll be traveling alone?

oh. and i STRONGLY recommend argentina. chile is really nice too but 700 wont get you far.

Argentina looks great--and has a low COL--but tickets run $1000, where I can get tickets to Central America for half that cost.

LawSchool2009

• AOL Instant Messenger - BruinBlues
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2006, 12:19:38 AM »
PERU!!!!

Sounds great!  Did you have to worry about yellow or dengage(sp) fever or cholera? 

Also, do you think I'll be able to meet ppl in hostels easily, since I'll be traveling alone?
Argentina looks great--and has a low COL--but tickets run $1000, where I can get tickets to Central America for half that cost.

No fever, no cholera, none of that...
But Central Am. will always be cheaper than South Am.  its only half-way down... so not fair to compare...  :)
Accept that some days you're the pigeon and some days you're the statue.

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=lawschool09

jorge

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 08:17:01 AM »
Cost Rica seems a popular home for American expats, if that matters at all.