Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

How will you take notes this fall?  Elaborate.

Word
 32 (38.1%)
OneNote
 38 (45.2%)
Pen & paper
 8 (9.5%)
Other
 6 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: Taking Notes: OneNote v. Word  (Read 4669 times)

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
Re: Taking Notes: OneNote v. Word
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2006, 02:14:04 PM »
I played around with OneNote 2003 and I must say that I love it!  It's much more organized and user friendly than Word.  Currently, I have my first semester classes labeled for each section and will have a "master outline", briefs, and daily lecture notes as subsections.  I think some of you mentioned that you organize it somewhat like this.  One question I had was, when Spring semester comes around, do you create a "Fall" semester folder on the section tabs and drop everything in there, and create new sections for the new classes?  I'm not sure if my question makes sense, but essentially I want to know how you guys archive your old class notes. 

Oh yeah, have any of your tried the 2007 beta version?  Do you guys like it? 

It would be really helpful if people could do a printscreen and show what the hell they are talking about.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2006, 02:15:23 PM »
I played around with OneNote 2003 and I must say that I love it!  It's much more organized and user friendly than Word.  Currently, I have my first semester classes labeled for each section and will have a "master outline", briefs, and daily lecture notes as subsections.  I think some of you mentioned that you organize it somewhat like this.  One question I had was, when Spring semester comes around, do you create a "Fall" semester folder on the section tabs and drop everything in there, and create new sections for the new classes?  I'm not sure if my question makes sense, but essentially I want to know how you guys archive your old class notes. 

I'm pretty much doing this verbatim. I haven't had the guts to install ON 2007 beta yet but from what I read it is supposed to be a pretty stable product. The only drawback being that you would have to uninstall it come february 2007 or have the $$$ ready for a purchase.

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."

hopeful20

• Toast for tomorrow, but drink for today.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2006, 02:34:08 PM »

It would be really helpful if people could do a printscreen and show what the hell they are talking about.

i believe anyone who's familiar with the layout of OneNote will pretty much know what i'm talking about, without a printscreen to demonstrate.  plus, i'm at work and cannot provide a printscreen.  basically, in OneNote, you have the option of either creating a new "section" or "folder" on the top tablets (subsections are created on the side tablets). 

i think i'll download 2007 onto my work computer and play around with it to see if i like it more than 2003. 

flydog

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2006, 10:12:52 AM »
You can export your notes as either Word docs or html files.  It's about as easy as saving them. 

I'm playing around with Onenote 2003, and I don't see where you can export directly to a Word file.  You can use Save As and also Export to create either OneNote specific files or HTML files, but I don't see where you can create regular .doc files with the pages you're working on.  Am I missing something here? 

If you click on File > Send To then select Word you can export your notes to Word. You wont see that selection unless you have Word installed on your computer. You can also export outlines. There is a help file in OneNote that explains how to do that

Of course you can always cut and paste into Word or Notepad and OneNote has a built it note sharing feature so you can share notes with other OneNote users over a network. Cut and paste is the easiest way to move information.

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2006, 11:04:05 AM »

The one down side I have found so far is that you can't Alt-Tab between your pages (for those of you that use that feature).  OneNote doesn't let you open up two seperate pages so that you can switch between two docs quickly.  I use seperate pages for my class notes and briefs so it is a little more cumbersome. 

When you have OneNote open, hit Ctrl-M, and a second screen will open, and you can Alt-tab between them.

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2006, 01:09:14 AM »
for those who haven't bought it yet, you can download the 2007 beta for free, and then buy the full version when it comes out next year. This would save you from having to buy two versions. Keep in mind though that it is BETA, so if it suddenly erases all of your notes, you can't complain.
Georgetown 2009!

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2006, 02:18:33 PM »
for those who haven't bought it yet, you can download the 2007 beta for free, and then buy the full version when it comes out next year. This would save you from having to buy two versions. Keep in mind though that it is BETA, so if it suddenly erases all of your notes, you can't complain.

Doubtful. The onenote program is the most developed part of the new office auite. The latest beta is pretty close to the final version. Thats said, I am going to rock with 2003 for the forseeable future. After trying 2007 out on my wife's computer for the past week or so I can't say that it has it all over 2003 - not for what I need it for anyhow.

Oingo

pinkybella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2006, 05:40:32 PM »
I bought OneNote a few months ago but I haven't started using it yet. How long do you think it will take me learn the features & get used to using it? I want to start learning about it before school starts but I'm wondering how long you guys think it will take. Thanks! :)

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 05:46:04 PM »
It understandable out of the box within a few minutes, but I have used it for a while without getting optimal use.

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2006, 12:29:53 AM »
For those wanting to see an informative "get to know Onenote" type of tutorial program see this link. Make sure you have some time - it takes awhile to get through.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/onenotetips/tipsandtricks256.asx

Oingo