Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Good book to read before law school  (Read 231 times)

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Good book to read before law school
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:14:04 PM »
Hey everyone

I was in the bookstore a few weeks ago picking up the more interesting books on my school's recommended summer reading list, and I happened upon Sandra Day O'Connor's book "The Majesty of the Law.  Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice"  I've really enjoyed it.  It has some great history and information, it is really readable and fluid, and it made me excited to start school. 

For awhile everyone around here was looking for book recommendations, so I thought I'd throw this out there.   
BC Law class of 2009!

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good book to read before law school
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:21:02 PM »
Well, I guess it would be good. She's from Arizona. Also, Fischer and Pual's "Getting to Maybe" was excellent, too.

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 02:11:18 PM »
Hey everyone

I was in the bookstore a few weeks ago picking up the more interesting books on my school's recommended summer reading list, and I happened upon Sandra Day O'Connor's book "The Majesty of the Law.  Reflections of a Supreme Court Justice"  I've really enjoyed it.  It has some great history and information, it is really readable and fluid, and it made me excited to start school. 

For awhile everyone around here was looking for book recommendations, so I thought I'd throw this out there.   

O'Conner isn't someone I'd put much faith in. She was, after all, the best example of modern Supreme Court roulette wheel jurisprudence.

legalprincesa

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 02:33:33 PM »
Hey everyone

O'Conner isn't someone I'd put much faith in. She was, after all, the best example of modern Supreme Court roulette wheel jurisprudence.

To be honest, I'm not sure if that is a valid criticism of her writing.  The book is an interesting look at the history of law and the creation of the U.S. Legal system.  Whether or not you appreciated the job she did on the Supreme Court is irrelevant to how good the book may or may not be.  I didn't say you should live and die by the book, I said it was interesting, informative, and in my case, got me even more excited to start school. 
BC Law class of 2009!