Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Downtown Chicago Roll Call  (Read 2193 times)

smitchelljr

• DePaul 1L
    • AOL Instant Messenger - theyoungsrm
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Downtown Chicago Roll Call
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 06:28:23 PM »
West Loop is also about only 10 minutes away from downtown

mobo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2006, 07:12:57 PM »
checking in...

NU living in very east uki village. about 20 min by bus to school, but the stops are RIGHT in front of my house and RIGHT on the corner of campus.

have laundry in unit (SO EXCITED) but it is a 3 floor walkup and i have no idea who i can bribe to help me move furniture up. once i buy some, that is.

(cough volunteers? cough)

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2006, 09:48:19 AM »
checking in...

NU living in very east uki village. about 20 min by bus to school, but the stops are RIGHT in front of my house and RIGHT on the corner of campus.

have laundry in unit (SO EXCITED) but it is a 3 floor walkup and i have no idea who i can bribe to help me move furniture up. once i buy some, that is.

(cough volunteers? cough)

We could come to an agreement. I have to move 2x as my lease doesn't start till september (but I might get in early). I'm moving into a friends in Aug. with just the bare necessities and then moving for real. I have access to a truck, when do you need help?
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

agroothuis

• View Profile
    • www.learnthelaw.org
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2006, 11:36:59 AM »
Just finished up my 2nd year at Kent. Any questions, let me know.

What are your impressions of kent?  How competitive is the student body?  How are the professors and students? 

Hi Sammy,

Well, competition in law school is a tricky thing. The competition I have felt amongst students is little to none. That is, everyone is friendly and cooperative. People share case names in legal writing. People lend notes, help each other if they have questions, etc. You're going to make friends and meet a lot of good people. Kent is famous for their school sponsored socials with great drink specials at pretty nice places around the city. I think they promote a friendly atmosphere.

But there is a sort of hidden competition to every school that has a mandatory curve, moot court competition, law review, and with only x% getting a chance at summer associate positions.

Add to that the fact that Kent has been known to ask people not to come back after the first year at a decently high rate compared to the other schools in the city. This was the case especially after my first year (2004-2005) because they underestimated the amount of students who would accept offers into my class (a consequence of Kent moving up in the rankings and many applicants to all schools that year I suppose).

I really have no frame of reference as to the professors as this is the only law school I've attended. :) Not to mention, I've had a mix of all kinds of professors (socratic and non socratic, highly academics and adjuncts with great experience, good lecturers and bad lecturers) so it's tough to pigeonhole the entire faculty. 

Although I will note that almost all have liberal viewpoints. That's the one unifying theme among the professors that I have seen. My guess is a lot of law campuses are like that but Kent seems especially so.

Thanks for the info!  I've been working for a few years now, and am looking forward in getting back to the academic environment.  What percentage of students did they ask to leave after the first year?  I mean, if you're not failing, they can't ask you to leave right?  What area of downtown do you live?  How long is your commute?  Just curious....

LSAC keeps track of the number of students who leave. Here is the info on all the Chicago schools' (follow a given school's link and click ABA data link, look at JD attrition rates):

http://officialguide.lsac.org/search/cgi-bin/results.asp?PageNo=

More students are asked to leave Kent due to academic reasons than NU, U of C, and even Loyola. Depaul is about equal. Marshall sends home many more, as per most lower ranked schools I believe.

Also 28 people of the 1L class at Kent moved on "other" reasons. I know not all of those are upward transfers so you can probably assume some of the "others" were not happy with their grades. Total w/ academic and other to over 10% of the first year class, but some of those are transfers.

And you are correct, they pretty much will not ask you to leave unless your performance is poor after your first year. I think there are some guidelines to this in Kent's student handbook:

http://www.kentlaw.edu/depts/acadadm/handbook.html

I live off of the brown line in Lincoln Park. About a 20-25 minute train ride to downtown and a 10 minute walk from the Quincy stop to the law school building.

CALI's blog for pre-laws:
http://calis_pre-law_blog.classcaster.org/blog/

CALI's website for pre-laws:
www.learnthelaw.org

kristybuch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2006, 12:10:09 PM »
DOG PARKS: the dog beach at montrose harbor (4400 lake shore drive) has lots of big dogs and small dogs, and the small dogs usually all congregate around the north side of the dog beach. don't forget to get your dog park license and your city of chicago dog license, though, before you go to any of the parks or beaches. they're very strict about it. you can get the licenses from your vet.

anyone else going to depaul and living north of wrigleyville? i live in andersonville/uptown, and from the looks of these posts, i might as well be in the north pole.

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2006, 12:36:16 PM »
Well, Law Teach, I saw your advice too late. I'm living in a ridiculously expensive highrise in Streeterville.
LSD saved my life.

lawteach

• ancient of days
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2006, 12:43:11 PM »
Well, Law Teach, I saw your advice too late. I'm living in a ridiculously expensive highrise in Streeterville.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!  i'm sure you'll enjoy it though, and if you like steak, you have your veritable pick of the litter right in the neighborhood.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2006, 03:53:29 PM »
DOG PARKS: the dog beach at montrose harbor (4400 lake shore drive) has lots of big dogs and small dogs, and the small dogs usually all congregate around the north side of the dog beach. don't forget to get your dog park license and your city of chicago dog license, though, before you go to any of the parks or beaches. they're very strict about it. you can get the licenses from your vet.

anyone else going to depaul and living north of wrigleyville? i live in andersonville/uptown, and from the looks of these posts, i might as well be in the north pole.

Thanks for the info about the licenses.  Are the parks fenced in or are they just designated areas?
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2006, 01:59:58 AM »
bumppity bump bump
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

Officer Rod Farva

• Sr. Citizen
  • FARVA #1
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2006, 10:34:53 AM »
Any racquetball players here, by any chance? Cycling is my primary hobby, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that in Chicago.
LSD saved my life.