Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Downtown Chicago Roll Call  (Read 2175 times)

SammyJenkins

• View Profile
Re: Downtown Chicago Roll Call
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2006, 12:18:55 PM »
Just finished up my 2nd year at Kent. Any questions, let me know.

What are your impressions of kent?  How competitive is the student body?  How are the professors and students? 

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2006, 01:30:22 PM »
I'll be at DePaul this fall.  I just secured a studio in Hyde Park for $625 including utils...one block from Metra!  I am super excited.  I hope my dog likes it.  :)

smitchelljr,  you're starting in the fall too, right?  Where are you moving from?
Windy City here I come....DePaul it is!!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=terralily

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - smileyill4663
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - smileyill
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2006, 01:33:44 PM »
I'll be at DePaul this fall.  I just secured a studio in Hyde Park for $625 including utils...one block from Metra!  I am super excited.  I hope my dog likes it.  :)

smitchelljr,  you're starting in the fall too, right?  Where are you moving from?

Hey, I'm in Hyde park as well. I'm going tomorrow to look at the place, but I'm pretty sure I'll sign.
Freak is the best, Freak is the best!  Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I don't like calling you Freak, I'd rather call you  Normal Nice Guy.

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2006, 02:00:04 PM »
I had to do mine site unseen...because I wanted a for sure place before leaving Seattle.  But 380?!? That's awesome!  Is it a shared space?

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2006, 02:05:11 PM »
Yes, it's a 2bdr garden apt. w/washer and dryer in the unit which is wonderful.

terpsichore

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2006, 04:35:19 PM »
I hope my dog likes it.  :)

Speaking of dogs does anyone know of any dogparks specifically for small dogs?

agroothuis

• View Profile
    • www.learnthelaw.org
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2006, 05:10:31 PM »

What are your impressions of kent?  How competitive is the student body?  How are the professors and students? 

Hi Sammy,

Well, competition in law school is a tricky thing. The competition I have felt amongst students is little to none. That is, everyone is friendly and cooperative. People share case names in legal writing. People lend notes, help each other if they have questions, etc. You're going to make friends and meet a lot of good people. Kent is famous for their school sponsored socials with great drink specials at pretty nice places around the city. I think they promote a friendly atmosphere.

But there is a sort of hidden competition to every school that has a mandatory curve, moot court competition, law review, and with only x% getting a chance at summer associate positions.

Add to that the fact that Kent has been known to ask people not to come back after the first year at a decently high rate compared to the other schools in the city. This was the case especially after my first year (2004-2005) because they underestimated the amount of students who would accept offers into my class (a consequence of Kent moving up in the rankings and many applicants to all schools that year I suppose).

I really have no frame of reference as to the professors as this is the only law school I've attended. :) Not to mention, I've had a mix of all kinds of professors (socratic and non socratic, highly academics and adjuncts with great experience, good lecturers and bad lecturers) so it's tough to pigeonhole the entire faculty. 

Although I will note that almost all have liberal viewpoints. That's the one unifying theme among the professors that I have seen. My guess is a lot of law campuses are like that but Kent seems especially so.
CALI's blog for pre-laws:
http://calis_pre-law_blog.classcaster.org/blog/

CALI's website for pre-laws:
www.learnthelaw.org

terralily

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2006, 05:36:28 PM »
I hope my dog likes it.  :)

Speaking of dogs does anyone know of any dogparks specifically for small dogs?

I'm not sure...but I will be looking for one.   A dog park period.   Seattle is VERY dog friendly. 

Yes, it's a 2bdr garden apt. w/washer and dryer in the unit which is wonderful.

I haven't had a washer/dryer in my house since I lived with my parents  :D  I am envious...

Freak

• Sr. Citizen
  • What's your agenda?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2006, 05:40:15 PM »
I couldn't believe it, I'll let you know Monday what kind of dive it looks like.

SammyJenkins

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2006, 06:20:15 PM »

Hi Sammy,

Well, competition in law school is a tricky thing. The competition I have felt amongst students is little to none. That is, everyone is friendly and cooperative. People share case names in legal writing. People lend notes, help each other if they have questions, etc. You're going to make friends and meet a lot of good people. Kent is famous for their school sponsored socials with great drink specials at pretty nice places around the city. I think they promote a friendly atmosphere.

But there is a sort of hidden competition to every school that has a mandatory curve, moot court competition, law review, and with only x% getting a chance at summer associate positions.

Add to that the fact that Kent has been known to ask people not to come back after the first year at a decently high rate compared to the other schools in the city. This was the case especially after my first year (2004-2005) because they underestimated the amount of students who would accept offers into my class (a consequence of Kent moving up in the rankings and many applicants to all schools that year I suppose).

I really have no frame of reference as to the professors as this is the only law school I've attended. :) Not to mention, I've had a mix of all kinds of professors (socratic and non socratic, highly academics and adjuncts with great experience, good lecturers and bad lecturers) so it's tough to pigeonhole the entire faculty. 

Although I will note that almost all have liberal viewpoints. That's the one unifying theme among the professors that I have seen. My guess is a lot of law campuses are like that but Kent seems especially so.

Thanks for the info!  I've been working for a few years now, and am looking forward in getting back to the academic environment.  What percentage of students did they ask to leave after the first year?  I mean, if you're not failing, they can't ask you to leave right?  What area of downtown do you live?  How long is your commute?  Just curious....