Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Applying for "Part Time" Law School- A good idea?  (Read 501 times)

dbmuell

• View Profile
    • Email
Applying for "Part Time" Law School- A good idea?
« on: July 18, 2006, 09:34:44 AM »
Being rather new to the "applying for law school" scene, I am finding it to be a refreshing surprise how many schools in my region offer an option to do law school on a "daytime part time" basis.  On the surface, this seems to me an ideal solution. I already have a career in a lucrative industry and going to law school "part time" while working "part time" (<20 hrs a week) would allow me to reduce my debt load coming out of LS by at least 60% and work to support my living instead of financing everything.  It would also serve to keep me sharp in my current skill set, which I hope to draw and extend upon in a future law career.

The question: Is part time law school a generally good idea?  Do the "part time" applications get sent right to the bottom of the admissions pile?  More so, do the "part time" graduates get sent right to the bottom of the hiring pile upon completion of law school?   Are there any considerations I'm missing here that make this a generally bad idea? 

(Note- I have a 3.08 and my practice LSATs are in the low-160s so I'm not taking T14 here.  I want to go to a respectable law school but I am by no means applying to Yale.)

radioface

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Applying for "Part Time" Law School- A good idea?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 12:01:07 PM »
Ive been wondering the same thing. Im planning on applying to both FT an PT programs and lettign the adcomms help me decide. Applying PT at g-town, george washington, maryland and temple. and full time to those and others. Ive been working for 5 years. and i think there are huge avantages to keeping the career ball rolling. should definitely help on the back end of law school with employability. and the $ is tough to ignore. going to a state school (Temple) PT and working, vs going to a private FT and not working is about a $350,000 difference over 3 years, factoring in tuition and lost wages. of course you could account for that with a significant salary differential. but it would have to be quite large, and you have to factor in opportunity costs. for example. I could feasibly buy another house, or make significant investments during and immediately after law school if I went the part time route, those investments would have to wait a while otherwise.

but we'll see. this is all stream of coinsciousness. of course it goes beyond money. Ill likely go to the school where I'd get the best legal education becaseu Im looking to make an impact in my field. If it comes down between Penn and Temple, thats a no brainer. But Temple FT and Temple PT... Im going PT. 
Penn Law '10