Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: laptop on home owners insurance?  (Read 411 times)

Poetgrl21

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
laptop on home owners insurance?
« on: July 18, 2006, 12:33:19 AM »
anyone know if you can do this?

Typhoon Longwang

• Sr. Citizen
  • I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: laptop on home owners insurance?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2006, 01:29:59 AM »
Probably...check with your insurance agent; often you have to give them $ estimates of the value of various categories of items.  Our computers are on our renter's policy.  A friend of mine had her computer stolen out of her house and she was reimbursed from her homeowner's insurance.  It may vary depending on your insurance provider and the state in which you reside.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2006, 01:31:44 AM »
anyone know if you can do this?

i believe so since you can include things such as cherished family heirlooms, engagement rings etc.. It will increase the premium, however, check your policy as it may already be included depending on how your insurance is set up. Home insurance includes theft insurance, yes? I don't know if laptops would be allowed on renter's insurance but it's worth asking

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 01:33:36 AM »
Probably...check with your insurance agent; often you have to give them $ estimates of the value of various categories of items.  Our computers are on our renter's policy.  A friend of mine had her computer stolen out of her house and she was reimbursed from her homeowner's insurance.  It may vary depending on your insurance provider and the state in which you reside.

this is good to know. I believe the max on renter's insurance is 100k, correct? somehow they cap it, but i'm not sure how. i always make sure i have the maximum amount i'm allowed-it never costs a lot, maybe a lil' over 100 a year and that's in a major city. such a good investment! :)

yokyok

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 09:27:59 AM »
I'm sure you can do this. Keep in mind, however, that this would not cover things like spilling a coke on your keyboard. This is why I opted for the $200 for 3 years of complete insurance coverage through my school's computer service. Maybe it sucks and maybe I'm getting ripped off, but the peace of mind is worth it for me knowing that if I spill coffee on the keyboard (or it gets stolen or my dog chews it up) that for the $250 deductible, I get it completely fixed or, if needed, a new laptop at no additional charge.

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 09:55:34 AM »
I'm sure you can do this. Keep in mind, however, that this would not cover things like spilling a coke on your keyboard. This is why I opted for the $200 for 3 years of complete insurance coverage through my school's computer service. Maybe it sucks and maybe I'm getting ripped off, but the peace of mind is worth it for me knowing that if I spill coffee on the keyboard (or it gets stolen or my dog chews it up) that for the $250 deductible, I get it completely fixed or, if needed, a new laptop at no additional charge.

this isn't dumb at all--it's incredibly intelligent. i insure pretty much everything I can--there are too many variables in life, and too many things that can go wrong--why risk it?

and..i'm clumsy :) incredibly clumsy.