Law School Discussion

How do you like the sample essays in Anna Ivey's book?

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
Re: How do you like the sample essays in Anna Ivey's book?
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2006, 03:34:08 PM »
They didn't really say there was anything specific they were looking for in a PS or a student-- the traditionally vague "we're looking for diverse students" bit. My student guide advised me to concentrate on the LSAT, as I was still pre-LSAT at that point. Loved the campus, sat in on a class, really liked the library, etc. Austin has a great vibe-- students I saw seemed pretty normal, not too haggard looking-- my tour guide was very friendly.

I visited last winter, and I had gotten there a little early, so they showed me the PS binder along with some of their promo materials. There was a PS in there that I thought was pretty funny. The guy opened with an LG set-up whereby Students A-L wanted admission to UT-Austin, and there was only one spot. At the end, he "solved" the game, saying that the student given admissions was him! Not sure if the binder encompassed the students who got in or if they were just good PS's in general-- the content was all over the place in terms of traditional students, statements of purpose, etc., compiled over the years.

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2006, 09:48:48 AM »
Sure, I'm happy to read anytime!

goldrogers

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2006, 03:28:38 PM »
Morris 405 was long...I tried scanning/converting it to MS Word, and ended up with 2.5 pages single spaced.
Problem is, my first draft is 2 pages and a paragraph, single spaced, so similar to it in length. Isn't
Morris 405 a little bit too long? I keep reading that a PS shouldn't be longer than 2 pages double-spaced.

« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2006, 06:20:05 AM »
Hi Everyone  :)

Excuse me for my ignorance, but I'm fairly new to this board. I am unfamiliar with Anna Ivey's book. Is it a reputable source for helping applicants on personal statements? Are there other similar books out there for PS? Finally, are there PS books targeted toward nontraditional students? I have been out of school for 6 years and am trying to start my PS and have no idea were to start. Thanks again!

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2006, 09:47:37 AM »
Of all the books I read, I found Anna Ivey's book the most helpful for non-trads and traditional students.

wovst

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2006, 06:38:16 PM »
richard montauk's book as well

juliemccoy

• Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2006, 09:17:11 AM »
There are also books that are full of law school essays. Most of them are terrible, but you can gain enough insight and ideas from them to move ahead and write a really good one. Don't fall victim to PS cliches-- don't open with a quote, write your life history or regurgitate your resume. As a non-trad, approach your PS as a statement that discusses why you have chosen to make this career change and what you intend to do with a law degree. Address any questions that your prospective law school identifies as important, and perhaps address "why school x" in the context of your PS. This type of PS is more purposeful, and you can still be creative within the confines of this "Statement of Purpose" style PS.

Good luck and happy reading/writing!

« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2006, 05:28:09 PM »
thanks so much for everyone's input! you guys are all really great! :) now if i could stop reading this board and start on a draft, that would be great.