Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anybody wait-listed at hofstra?  (Read 5869 times)

rpplvc13

• View Profile
    • Email
anybody wait-listed at hofstra?
« on: February 07, 2004, 10:03:59 AM »
I was notified last week that I am on hofstra's wait-list.  (153, 3.5)  Anybody else out there in the same boat?

abmarz

• View Profile
Re: anybody wait-listed at hofstra?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2004, 03:04:52 PM »
Yes I was wait listed too at Hofstra. I have a 3.5 and a 154 average LSAT (151 and 157). According to their numbers, we should have got in. What gives?

Where did you go to undergrad?

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2004, 03:16:45 PM »
HOFSTRA TOO GOOD FOR YOU! BAHAHAHA!!  ;D

Okay, sorry.  I just had to get that out of my system. 

Where is "Hofstra?"  I have never heard of it.  Maybe that's just cause I'm looking at good schools... I mean well-known schools... Oops...  :-X

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2004, 03:23:14 PM »
prelaw_undergrad, Hofstra's on Long Island. You know, in that state, what's it called, NEW YORK. Why do you post if you're just going to disparage other posters? Please let us all know when you get your acceptance letter from Yale.

(Sorry, mods, but *I* had to get that out of *my* system)

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2004, 07:22:05 PM »
Too bad none of your academic success has made you a better person. Maybe one day you'll wake up and realize that there's more to life than lording your accomplishments over complete strangers. Far be it for me, at the ripe old age of 20, to give you any advice, but here it is: your condescending attitude will not be appreciated in the real world. At all. You may get into an Ivy League law school and make excellent money in the not-so-distant future but once you move out of the academic sphere, you will meet different kinds of people. Not many are gifted with your ability but that doesn't mean they deserve your derision. You can keep on moving through life with your head down and a chip on your shoulder the size of Texas, but it won't win you many friends (unless that sort of thing doesn't matter to you).

This an open board for people with questions about law school and no one here has done anything to deserve the disrespect and downright rudeness you've shown. I wish you the best of luck in law school and beyond but believe me, life is not entirely about academics and prestige. The sooner you realize that a low GPA or a low LSAT score doesn't necessarily mean a person is worthless or undeserving of mere civility, the better off you'll be.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2004, 08:18:38 PM »
...your condescending attitude will not be appreciated in the real world. At all. You may get into an Ivy League law school and make excellent money in the not-so-distant future but once you move out of the academic sphere, you will meet different kinds of people.

WOW! REALLY?!  :o

I HAD NO IDEA THAT THE "REAL WORLD" WAS THAT WAY!  ::)

Gee, I guess holding down two jobs {while going to college with a course overload} isn't the same as having experience in the "real world."  WAIT! Since a job is not "real world" experience, is volunteering at the local domestic violence center and animal shelter "real world" experience?  OR, does membership in two honor societies, a local pre-law co-ed fraternity, and the universities' Mensa division count as "real world" experience?

PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me IS having a job (or two), volunteering, and/or being a member of a few clubs is consider "real world" experience?  I am curious what is considered "real world" experience.

---

Onward...

You call my attitude "condescending," and yet you replied to my question regarding the location of Hofstra:

prelaw_undergrad, Hofstra's on Long Island. You know, in that state, what's it called, NEW YORK... Please let us all know when you get your acceptance letter from Yale.

(Sorry, mods, but *I* had to get that out of *my* system)

By saying "Sorry, mods, but *I* had to get that out of *my* system," you were admitting that your response was inappropriate.

The sooner you realize that a low GPA or a low LSAT score doesn't necessarily mean a person is worthless or undeserving of mere civility, the better off you'll be.

Who did I say was "worthless?"   ???   :P

---

I am not trying to start a 'fight.'  I REALLY am curious as to what your reponse to my questions will be.

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2004, 09:20:38 PM »
WOW! REALLY?!  :o

I HAD NO IDEA THAT THE "REAL WORLD" WAS THAT WAY!  ::)

Gee, I guess holding down two jobs {while going to college with a course overload} isn't the same as having experience in the "real world."  WAIT! Since a job is not "real world" experience, is volunteering at the local domestic violence center and animal shelter "real world" experience?  OR, does membership in two honor societies, a local pre-law co-ed fraternity, and the universities' Mensa division count as "real world" experience?

PLEASE, PLEASE, tell me IS having a job (or two), volunteering, and/or being a member of a few clubs is consider "real world" experience?  I am curious what is considered "real world" experience.

The clubs? Not really. The volunteer work and your jobs? Closer to it. You're young (at least under 18) so while you obviously have accomplished much, it doesn't seem as though the experience that you've had has affected your treatment of people here. Perhaps I should rephrase and say more "life experience"? Better?

You call my attitude "condescending," and yet you replied to my question regarding the location of Hofstra:

By saying "Sorry, mods, but *I* had to get that out of *my* system," you were admitting that your response was inappropriate.

First of all, *if* my remark was condescending (which it wasn't), it doesn't invalidate the fact that you came to this topic, not with the intention of assisting anyone or having an actual discussion (which is the purpose of this board) but rather to mock the posters who did not make it into Hofstra, which you're not familar with because you are "looking at good schools... I mean well-known schools... Oops...  :-X." This is a mean-spirited statement, suggesting that the OP could not make into what MUST be a sub-par law school since it has not registered on your radar. You even put the name in quotes:  "Where is "Hofstra?"" to re-emphasize that it's not good enough for you to have any acquaintance with it.

Secondly, I did not think my comment was tremendously inappropriate. I only apologized to the mods because I'm not familiar with the netiquette here as far as drifting from the original topic. I stand by the sentiment of my original response to you.

Who did I say was "worthless?"   ???   :P

Again, you were positively gleeful in your mockery of the posters who couldn't make it into this mediocre school (which is mediocre simply because you've not heard of it) and it seems the common theme in your posts is: I am better than you because I have X GPA and X LSAT or a fervent defense of the ranking system, with a tremendous emphasis on prestige. I realize that prestige is important in one's immediate post-law school career, but again, we cannot all attend top 10 or tier 1 schools. Some may not have your motivation or your ability and so might have to "settle" for a non "name" school (not suggesting that this is necessarily the case with the OP). Your tone, more often than not, is rude. Really. Your little self-edit of "I'm looking at good schools... I mean well-known schools... Oops..." was obviously intentional and meant to hurt posters who were simply looking for some guidance and perhaps a sympathetic or helpful word.

Do these responses help you out?

rpplvc13

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2004, 01:08:55 AM »
abmarz,

I went to undergrad at Lebanon Valley College.  It's a small liberal arts college in Central PA.

feminine hygiene product,

i have no qualms about posting an inappropriate message on the board.  You are probably the type of kid that I kicked the *&^% out of back in high school.  But congrats on the high test score and your other accomplishments.  I'm sure the Tri-Lambs are eagerly awaiting your signed bid...female private part.

prelaw_undergrad

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2004, 02:55:13 PM »
...you were positively gleeful in your mockery of the posters who couldn't make it into this mediocre school...

Actually, it was not my intention to "mock" the posters. Instead, my goal was to lightheartedly admit that I did not know where Hofstra was located, even though I had heard of the school. 

Also, I only made note of my acceptance to NYU after you chose to respond to my question with a patronizing, juvenile remark. 

I never would had even bothered to ask anyone the location of Hofstra had I known you would be this volatile.

I hope you realize that I, too, was "simply looking for some guidance," but, instead, found violence.

I'm sure the Tri-Lambs are eagerly awaiting your signed bid.

Actually, if you were REALLY trying to get into law school, you'd know that only one pre-law co-ed fraternity exists in America (and you'd join the fraternity, if you were wise), and that the fraternity definitely does not have the words "Tri" or "Lambs" (or "Lambda") anywhere in its name.

feminine hygiene product...  You are probably the type of kid that I kicked the *&^% out of back in high school... female private part.

Hrmm...  rpplvc13, you seem to think that having "kicked the *&^% out of" someone is a superior characteristic that would cause I, or anyone else on this discussion board, to bow down and praise you for your brilliant domination.   :-\

INTERESTING...

Also, assaulting women is not attractive to anyone. 

Lilacs04

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2004, 05:16:20 PM »
Actually, it was not my intention to "mock" the posters. Instead, my goal was to lightheartedly admit that I did not know where Hofstra was located, even though I had heard of the school.

Right. And that's why you included that condescending non-edit. ::) What exactly about my calling you on your bull was juvenile? The Yale remark? How is that more juvenile than coming to a thread simply to bother the posters, without offering anything that might be of help? You were unnecessarily rude and I responded. That's hardly what I'd call juvenile or hurtful. 

I hope you realize that I, too, was "simply looking for some guidance," but, instead, found violence.

There was nothing to indicate that you were asking a serious question. Your entire tone was jocular and filled with contempt. My response was a reasonable reaction to someone who is so puffed up by her own accomplishments, she can't help mocking others. I don't think giving someone a needed dose of humility is "violent" but YMMV.