Law School Discussion

I Don't Know Thread.

I Don't Know Thread.
« on: July 17, 2006, 10:35:32 AM »
Come On.

Re: Kaplan Diagnostic
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 10:49:46 AM »
Hi, I'm enrolled in the classroom Kaplan program for the September 30 LSAT.  We took our first diagnostic on saturday and I received a 157.  Considering I have a 3.9ish from a top 20 undergrad, I would like to increase my score to about a 166 so that I have a chance at school ranked 15-25 and maybe even Georgetown if a miracle happens.  Now my Reading Comp and Logical Reasoning scores were about the same, but on Logic Games I only got 8 out of 24 questions correct!  With the course, and some self study, do you think my goal of 166 is achievable?  Keep in mind that I won't be devoting my life to self-study like some on this board...

I was pretty much in your exact situation a couple months ago, so I think you can possibly learn from my failure.

I took the Kaplan course before the June test, made a 153 on the diagnostic, and was hoping to get to the low 160s to give myself a shot at some 15-30 schools (I have a high GPA).  By the end of the course I was right at my goal, so I figured I was in great shape to make a low/mid 160 on the actual test.  Well, I was wrong, I made a 153 on the actual test, and now I have to deal with the re-take.  Here are my suggestions for you:

The best advice I can give you is GET THE LR and LG BIBLES!!!  Don't be foolish, if you don't committ yourself to at least a couple hours a week of self-study, you won't hit your goal. I did almost ZERO hours of self-study, all I did was show up to the Kaplan course, and it cost me. What will end up happening is the Kaplan course will be decent enough to get you to about a 166 on your last practice test, but the nerves of test day, along with the general iffy-ness the Kaplan methods, will cause you to come back down to the low 160s/high 150s range on the actual test.  I think it's important for you to set your goals HIGHER than the range you need for your targeted schools, because who really ends up making better or higher than their goal?  It seems nearly everyone makes a few points lower than they had hoped for, so if you set your goals high, and work to really achieve that goal, then even if you miss your targeted score you will have a good score to work with.  I say set your goals high, shoot for a 170, get those Bibles, and patiently work your way through them.  You don't have to beat yourself in the head with self-study, but just do as much as you need to get your practice scores up to about 170.

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 10:54:02 AM »
I did NONE of the homework for the Kaplan course. All I did was show up to every class, and do some individual LG sections for practice (my weakest section too).
I suppose if you do all of the assigned homework you might be in good shape, but if you're not making scores a few points above 166 in the next month or so, you need to get the LR and LG Bibles.

Emilia

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2006, 09:47:25 AM »
Hi, I'm enrolled in the classroom Kaplan program for the September 30 LSAT.  We took our first diagnostic on saturday and I received a 157.  Considering I have a 3.9ish from a top 20 undergrad, I would like to increase my score to about a 166 so that I have a chance at school ranked 15-25 and maybe even Georgetown if a miracle happens.  Now my Reading Comp and Logical Reasoning scores were about the same, but on Logic Games I only got 8 out of 24 questions correct!  With the course, and some self study, do you think my goal of 166 is achievable?  Keep in mind that I won't be devoting my life to self-study like some on this board...

I think your goal is definitely achievable.  Do all the homework Kaplan assigns (even the recommended online stuff for games), and pay attention during class.  If their methods work for you, you shouldn't need to do much self-study other than the homework.  Closer to the test day, also use the Mastery book and do all the four star games for practice.  Just don't start that until you've completed the games classes and homework, or it won't be very helpful for you.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »
is kaplan the only test prep in your area?

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 04:14:10 PM »
You'll be fine. I took Kaplan and brought my score from a 163 to a 174.

But you MUST do alot of work.

jer

• i likes gold chapstick
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 08:06:42 AM »

if you were smart you would have taken a prep course from someone else.
fitting your schedule is convenient, but seriously, your lsat score will affect the rest of your life.  i've heard too many horror stories from kraplan to not adjust my schedule as required to feel better about the prep course i took

/good luck

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 12:20:03 PM »

if you were smart you would have taken a prep course from someone else.
fitting your schedule is convenient, but seriously, your lsat score will affect the rest of your life.  i've heard too many horror stories from kraplan to not adjust my schedule as required to feel better about the prep course i took

/good luck

I don't appreciate the "if you were smart" comment.  My priorities are a little bit different.  I am not going to change my social schedule and work schedule completely just so I can take a prep course from another company.  Furthermore, I don't know why everyone says Kaplan is so bad.  According to my instructor, who seems good so far, the average increase is about 7-8 points.  Now if I go up 8 points, I will be at a 165, which would make me very happy...

You're not hoping for 170+?

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2006, 12:27:36 PM »
^The poor guy has a 3.9+, so he has no reason to plan for a 170 if he doesn't want to go to any of the top 5 schools.  I think if he makes a 165 he should be in at pretty much any 10-25 school, which he explicitly said was his goal.  I just think he should at least put in enough effort to get his practice score a bit above his goal, so that if he falls short, he will still have a score he can work with.

Emilia

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2006, 10:51:38 AM »
My goal was to go from a 162 to a 168 after taking the Kaplan class, and I exceeded it.  As long as your instructor is okay and you put in the effort, you'll be fine.