Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Suffolk vs. Marquette....discuss  (Read 568 times)

shrimpgordita

• View Profile
Suffolk vs. Marquette....discuss
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:55:12 AM »
Hi guys,

I just was informed by Suffolk that I was admitted off of the waitlist.  What do you think of the school, and how does it compare to Marquette?  Would it be worth moving from Wisconsin to go to Suffolk?  Is it more, or less regional/local than Marquette?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I make this difficult decision.

Thanks!

lawnecon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk vs. Marquette....discuss
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 02:45:22 PM »
I'm not an expert (is anyone on here?), but I think Marquette just fell out of the top 100 while Suffolk has pretty much been a permanent resident of the fourth tier...Not that that necessarily means anything, but unless you definitely want to work in Boston (or the greater Boston area), I'd go with Marquette. Plus, I believe once you graduate from a WI law school, you're automatically admitted to the state's bar. Throw in the fact that it doesn't seem like you'll have to move if you go to Marquette, and I'd say Suffolk isn't really worth it.
Villanova Law School Class of '09

"I don't believe in nothing, no more - I'm going to law school!" Jimbo Jones (The Simpsons)

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »
Suffolk is a regional school. It is probably fine if you wanted to work in say, the DA's office or a small firm in the Boston area.

Drawbacks:

-Cost would be much higher in Boston than WI. Tuition alone is over 32K a year. Your likely starting salary would not be that much higher graduating from Suffolk either.

-More competition for jobs because Suffolk is near the bottom of the food chain in Boston. Suffolk is also a big school, which means increased competition for grades and jobs among your classmates.

If I were you I would go to Marquette, as long as you are okay with staying WI after graduation.

cassise

• Sr. Citizen
  • To eliminate any confusion
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cassise0414
    • View Profile
    • My journey to law school starting soph year
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
You are from WI, I am assuming you want to stay in the Midwest in which case its a no contest that Marquette is where you should go.  Higher ranked and in the area you want to be = best option.

Plus, if you practice in WI and do well at Marquette, you wont have to take the bar!

shrimpgordita

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2006, 02:37:00 AM »
I agree with most of what you guys are saying.  I do want to get out of Wisconsin, but I only want to leave if I have a good reason to do so.  So far I just don't see Suffolk as enough of a draw for me to pick up and move across the country. 

On the other hand Boston is one of my favorite US cities, and the facilities at Suffolk are worlds above those at Marquette.

Anybody else with input?

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 10:11:15 AM »
I also had the option of going to a few private law schools outside of my region or a local school with in-state tuition. I ended up choosing the local state school because I wanted to save money and go to the school with the best reputation in it's region.

Your situation is a bit different because Marquette is a private school. However, Marquette will still leave you with significantly less debt than a school like Suffolk, even if you aren't offerred a dime during your entire three years there.

Did you visit Suffolk yet or talk to some students there?

The facilities at Suffolk, while admittedly quite nice, will have very little to do with job placement or your legal education. I would not consider facilities as a "hard factor" when making your decision. I'm sure the facilities at Marquette are adequate.

Are you paying for law school yourself? Were you offerred money at either school?

Calculate the cost of attendance at both schools to give yourself an idea of what you will have to pay back. Neither school will promise you a high starting salary if you are an average student, so take that into account as well.

shrimpgordita

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2006, 02:10:45 AM »
I have decided not to accept the Suffolk offer of admission for many of the reasons you guys mentioned.  I definately agree with your point about cost cultural_vacuum.  I was not offerred any money at either school, so cost of attendance is definately an issue.  More than anything though, I am just not going to travel across country for a worse school.  Now if I get off the of the Miami, Case, or American waitlists it is a different story.

What do you think about moving for those schools?

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 06:48:36 PM »
for Miami, Case, and American I think it depends where you want to practice. Where do you see yourself settling eventually?

All of them are regional. How regional they are for you will largely depend on your class rank. Basically, if your grades and class rank are high, you will have more success in finding a job outside the region/city where the school is located.

Case probably has the best rep in it's market, seeing as they mainly compete with OSU for jobs in Cleveland. Case would probably end up costing you least overall. Even though it is an expensive private school the cost of living in Cleveland will be cheaper than Miami or DC. A good number of Case grads end up staying in Ohio. I would not go to Case if you are uncomfortable with the possibility of having to find work in Ohio or the surrounding states.

American is in DC, one of the most competitive markets for legal jobs in the country. The cost of living will be high in DC as well. American may be a tier 1 school according to USNEWS, but I'd imagine you will face tough competition in DC for jobs from GW, GULC, and all the top schools that send graduates to DC for work.

I think Miami will compete with UF and FSU for jobs, mainly, along with a few high ranked schools in the southeast.

Basically, do not go to any of the schools mentioned above thinking you are virtually guaranteed a high starting salary. Most schools have salary stats that are inflated to some degree, or clearly inflated to the point of being very deceptive.

If anyone tries to sell you on any of the schools listed above based on salary stats or the fact that some of their graduates are working in high paying, prestigous jobs, call the school and ask to see their on campus interview schedule/guide for 2Ls. Now, look closely at the ranking cutoffs some of these employers will request.

Then, look the employer up on Nalp to see how many entry level attorneys they hire and how much they pay. Chances are, the best employers will require graduates of the aforementioned schools to rank fairly high in their class. This means that if you don't have the required rank you don't even get an interview. For schools like these, high paying employers will likely request that students be in the top 20%, top 15%, or even higher. Some employers will only interview students on law review.

If the school is unwilling to disclose OCI information after you've been accepted, when you start asking questions about it, I'd be very hesitant to go to that school.

Good luck with your decision. Maybe you will have luck with some more waitlists.